Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

purveyor of new lows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiromichi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: purveyor of new lows Reply with quote

What is a "purveyor of new lows"?

Of course, Democrats identify Mr. McConnell as the chief purveyor of new lows. From the beginning, the Gorsuch nomination has been shadowed, in large measure, by Judge Merrick B. Garland, whom President Barack Obama nominated in March 2016 after the death of Justice Antonin Scalia the month before. Mr. McConnell led Republicans in refusing to even consider the nomination during a presidential election year.
Oll Korrect

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fancy language by a writer trying to impress his friends.

Society (or some part of it) reaches a "new low" when it behaves worse than ever before. Like if some guy always had a gambling problem, then one day lost his wedding ring, that might be a "new low" for him.

A purveyor is a seller or dealer. Often of abstract things: a dictator might be called a purveyor of fear.

So a "purveyor of new lows" would be someone who frequently does the worst things anyone (among the Republican party, I assume) has ever done.
hiromichi

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oll Korrect,
Thank you for your clear explanation. Now I am very happy that my question submitted early in April got answered.
hiromichi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Who better to ??? grammatically wrong? Reply with quote

"Who better to" below should be corrected to Who would better" ?

When government policies seem to court and coddle the wealthiest one percent, populists call it a violation and betrayal of American principles.

Not so in the world of letters, where the best writers write for the one-percenters — and why not? Who better to appreciate your writing than those who study and cherish English? Besides, it’s not a class thing. Language aficionados come from all walks of life.
hiromichi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: A foam hat Reply with quote

What is a foam hat?
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Who better to ??? grammatically wrong? Reply with quote

hiromichi wrote:
"Who better to" below should be corrected to Who would better" ?

When government policies seem to court and coddle the wealthiest one percent, populists call it a violation and betrayal of American principles.

Not so in the world of letters, where the best writers write for the one-percenters — and why not? Who better to appreciate your writing than those who study and cherish English? Besides, it’s not a class thing. Language aficionados come from all walks of life.

Hmm I missed this one before. "Who better to" is kind of short for "Who would be better to" but it's not wrong.
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for a foam hat, without any context, I would imagine it is a hat made of foam, and in fact, if you google it, you can seem some examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=foam+hat&oq=foam+hat&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2022j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
hiromichi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorikeet、I had also googled, but I did not get it.
I wonder what 'foam' is.

John Sullivan wears a giant foam hat in the shape of a whale. It works well as a conversation starter when he panhandles on the corner of Wisconsin Avenue and M Street in Georgetown.
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you look at the link to google images? Foam is a kind of material. All the hats in the google images are made of foam. So the person in the sentence is wearing a hat that has a whale, which he uses to start conversations,
hiromichi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorikeet、I now got it. I first thought foam is froth.
Now it is foam rubber or expanded plastic. Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: