Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi!!! What do you think about living at home while at study?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inlovewithenglish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Hi!!! What do you think about living at home while at study? Reply with quote

Hello people! I�m Viktoria. I�d like to discuss news that I have picked from websites thus I may let you know something new improving my English. I hope to get warm support from you. I only can hope that your judgments of me will be quite kind�
Let�s start�.

Today I�ve found an exciting article at BBC.co.uk. It is about the impact of the recession on students� choice in higher education. There are some surveys showing to us basic reasons why society must change the traditional image of students to another one. The survey suggests finding new, more convenient financial plan � choosing a local university and living at home while at study. That could help to cut some cost for university accommodation and other costs of living alone. If students are staying home they could get less money from their families thus helping to their parents.

I think this theme is important for all who�s going or already has been studying. All we can see and fell the negative impact of downturn around the globe. Thus I guess there are many who want to say what he or she thinks.
Corey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this is a growing trend - students living at home while studying. The downside is that the closest university or college may not be the one with the best program for a student.

Take care,

Corey
Jenniferdu521

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear inlovewithenglish:
Thank you for you sharing.
In my opinion, living at home and living at school are very diffrent to the students.

We all know that one day we must leave home, why not independence earlier?

I think that is not just a question about the cost.

Best Regards
Jennifer
sourwine

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I agree with Jennifer, it makes a huge difference for students if they live at home with their families or far away in a different city. Not only regarding the costs.

The local university might not be the best and might not even offer the subjects you want to study.

I think that is the reason why in the last years it became more and more a trend to go abroad, to study in different countries (ideally to experience more than one country) or at least in a different city. It also allowed students to develop important social skills, because they did not have anybody else and just had to make friends.

It is very good for your own independence if you use the time to go away and develop your own life. However, when you do that you have to make sure you can pay for that life. You need to consider that costs for accommodation and food add to the fees you might have to pay for your studies and for the university. On the other hand, living at home could mean a lot of costs for transportation if the university or school is not so near.

Living with the family could improve the students quality of life because the family can support them.

So it is not black or white but a lot shades between when it comes to that decision. It's not easy to decide but I can understand if the trend to go to far away universities now turns around and young people tend to stay at home while studying.

Maybe the recession brings back some "old" values like family and different generations sticking closer together? Who knows.

Best regards
sourwine
contra10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope people can still respond to this forum, but I'm on the same situation. I want the independence but I know the cost will be too much. How should I decide?
sourwine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can read and reply here Smile

Well, how you should decide we cannot know but let us see some reasons.

Why would you stay with your family? For support? To save money?
Why would you go away? To get a better education?

If you fear the costs, how about taking on a job, maybe in a Pub or in a supermarket?
Stephanie S

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's good to try to get along well with your family if you can. It's also good to get away for a while and see how you do on your own two feet: emotionally, financially, academically, etc. Staying with your parents is good if you need accountability--if you don't trust yourself to stay out of trouble, and it helps to have someone telling you what you can and can't do. Studying abroad is great to get a new perspective on culture, life, and the world. Many people choose to study English in Malta, where I live, so every year, especially during the summer, there are thousands of language students here. I think their experience depends on what sort of people they are, and also which school they choose to study in. As for living options, some choose to stay with host families, and others in independent apartments, depending both on cost and on the kind of experience they are looking to have in Malta.

Elanguest English Langauge School, Malta
Lenu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the one hand I do agree that costs are a major deterrent to go live away from your parents. On the other hand, it gives you a lot of independence and teaches you basically to be an adult. You do not need to lead a luxurious life, but a decent one is possible.
As mentioned above, it is always possible to find a job and combine it with uni. I definitely advise to go for it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: