Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why God????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> The Strange and Mysterious
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nietzche L.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Why God???? Reply with quote

People believe in a God that save us,but what about indians.They have thousands of Gods.And the other persons that believe in the budism,the witchcraft,etc...Each person know if they really need to adore or believe in a God.In my case I think that we need to believe in us and have faith,because God will listen more if we put a little of ourselves.When my best friend died I hate God more than everything,but then,when I grew up I think more about it and if He decided to take her in His hands was because she was an angel and He will take care of her more than her family do when she was here. Crying or Very sad
Honey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: It isn't God's fault... Reply with quote

Hello!
I know it's so sad and unfair all those terrible events of our life: Losing a dear being, having many problems, seeing how people suffers. But God isn't guilty about it. He gave us fre will, so we can take decisions. Sadly, we just thing about our own benefit, and we forget the world itself isn't ours. For a single person who wants to help other people, there are ten or more who just damage our lives, but it's people, not God.
So why does God let them destroy the world like that?
Confused The main reason is that He's letting people demonstrate they cannot lead this world. When Adam and Eve decided to follow their own way, they opened a question... Was human beings serving God just for interests? He's letting us show who we are with. Of course, we must be patient. This will finish soon and, then, all those words you've heard about "God saves us", will come true. It just depens on you: havig a weak faith, or trying as hard as possible to show you really believe in Him. When you do it, you can see it's really woth it. Believe me! Wink
Nietzche L.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

I know isn't God's fault.I was just thinking and asking you people,because many people think that He do bad things.I am not a christian person,but I believe that God help us and He save us.By the way I can't feel the feeling of going to a church and pray.sometimes I want to feel it,but maybe I am more faithfull tha others that went to the church.
Thats all I think.Sorry if I hurt you,but if you are a real christian and believe in God I know you will understand me.
Honey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Message Reply with quote

Hi, Nietzche L.!
Wink Of course, you didn't hurt me.
I also understand your point of view. Very Happy We cannot follow a worship pattern if we don't feel it (going to chuch as you said, for example). The most important part is trying to live according to His will. Smile

What's His will? Question
Nietzche L.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Hi again Reply with quote

I agree with you.God is everything,we just need to feel Him inside us and have faith.Like I told you, I didn't go to the church but I know I have Him in my heart.Maybe some day I will change my opinion and I will went to the church,but now I will stay thinking like I do.The person that believes in him,doesn't need to go to the church,it can just stay at home praying and telling other people about His miracles.
And about the question you ask me,I think that He gaves His only son to save us to make us feel that He will do everything for us.I am 100% that no father or mother will gave his son to died for the rest of the people.And the resurection was the miracle of having faith and trust in His words.
I think I write too much.I am sorry if you are not ok with me,but people have different thoughs and what is really important is to believe in him,the way we feel it isn't important when yoo really have faith.
God bless you.Have a nice day.See you.
muakissssssssss.
Nichy
Honey

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: God Reply with quote

Hi, Nietzche!
so nice to talk to you, and I agre 100% with you:
Noone does what God did for us: Sending His son for giving his life in exchange for ours! Very Happy

See you soon! Bye! Wink
Nietzche L.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

HI.YOU SEEMS TO BE A VERY NICE PERSON.I WILL LIKE TO BE YOUR FRIEND. Very Happy MI MSN IS [email protected] CAN SEND ME SOME E-MAILS OR JUST ADD ME TO YOUR CONTACTS.
HAVE A NICE DAY.SEE YOU.MUAKISSSSSSS!!!!!! Wink
liebe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Nietzche (did you name yourself after the German philosopher?),

I used to believe in God when I was a child, but I don't believe in him (or her) anymore. All the religions are essentially the same. They all talk about justice, about the "good guys" winning and being rewarded and the bad ones being punished. I'm sorry, but I don't see that happening... Look at our world. So many people are miserable, so few are happy. I don't see the "bad guys" being punished--all I see is those rich ignorant people using their power and money for their own good, and the rest of the people being miserable. Frankly speaking, I've been awfully unhappy for the last 2 years and I don't think I deserve it. If there was a God, there wouldn't have been so many wars, miseries, and poverty.
Anxious Heart

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liebe wrote:
If there was a God, there wouldn't have been so many wars, miseries, and poverty.

Neutral Hm, do you know that for sure? Your statement is based on image of god as a person with a human mind. Of a god, who is also caught in his/her own mind.... who is caught in moral codes, reason, senses etc.. There are other images of god, for example the supernatural soul... how can a human being judge, whether his/her actions are good or bad? We are prisoners in our minds, why should we know, what he/she is thinking?

I don't know, if there's a god, I don't believe in it, but I think, it is possible, that there is one, or there are thousands, or whatever. I guess believing is very important for the human soul. And as long as nobody is hurt, creeds are a positive thing (in my opinion). They cause a kind of vigour in your mind, that allows you to start new things.....

liebe wrote:
hi Nietzche (did you name yourself after the German philosopher?),

Hey, you know Nietzsche? Did you read something by him?
liebe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've based my answer upon my knowledge of the religions I've been exposed to as a child--Judaism and Christianity (sorry, but I don't know a lot about other religions). You are saying that we cannot determine what is good/bad? But listen to the religious people that observe those religions, they have a very good idea of what is good/bad. In Judaism one should do Mizvot, obey all the laws of Judaism (like eating kosher), highly believe in God, not kill, rape, etc. Those that follow those laws will be rewarded, and those that won't--will be punished. In Christianity it's very similar--one should go to Church, believe in Jesus (this is the main difference between Judaism and Christianity, not kill, rape, etc. Here those that will follow this religion will go to Heaven, and those that won't--to Hell. Sorry, I don't see that happening... I had a friend once whose grandparents were German-Jews. I remember how she once said to me that if there were indeed a God in this world, her grandparents wouldn't have gone through the Concentration Camps, for they never harmed anyone and did not deserve it. I feel the same way.

I'm not saying that it's bad to believe in God, all I'm saying that I don't believe in him/her. I respect other people's believes and I expect them to respect mine too. I know that certain people just need to believe in something, it makes them feel stronger. I am not one of them, that's all.

I only dislike people that use their religion to justify certain actions (like killing), or people who force their religion on others. I remember seeing a documentary once about a small group of missionaries from North America. They come to the undeveloped parts of Africa, tell the people what sinners they are, how they are going to burn in hell if they won't believe in Jesus Christ. Then after they convert them to Christianity, they also convince them to give all they have--all their money, cloths, etc.--to them, and then they convince them further to commit suicide. So the Africans commit suicide and the missionaries return home with their money. They've made quite a fortune from this...

I've studied about Nietzsche when I was in high school. I don't remember a lot of about him, only a few ideas of his. The nickname Nietzche just reminded me of him.
coffeedecafe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liebe wrote:

I only dislike people that use their religion to justify certain actions (like killing), or people who force their religion on others. I remember seeing a documentary once about a small group of missionaries from North America. They come to the undeveloped parts of Africa, tell the people what sinners they are, how they are going to burn in hell if they won't believe in Jesus Christ. Then after they convert them to Christianity, they also convince them to give all they have--all their money, cloths, etc.--to them, and then they convince them further to commit suicide. So the Africans commit suicide and the missionaries return home with their money. They've made quite a fortune from this...

lets see. liebe is love in german, am i correct? and the desire for love is something that is within us. from the time we are born. why should we doubt that we have a creator who loves us?
as far as your view of missionaries,maybe i should not argue so much as point out one modern-day example of what missionaries are really like. just one example of thousands with all the good they have done. lets start with franklin graham and the organization samaritans purse that shows up just about anywhere there is a need or a disaster to provide material help and the offer of spiritual peace to those who are in need.
Anxious Heart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coffeedecafe wrote:
why should we doubt that we have a creator who loves us?

1) I made the experience, that I my doubts came immediately after I began to reflect on a thought. Doubting is as well a part of the human being, so why shouldn't we doubt?

2) I respect the thought of a creator loving us, but I also respect the point of view, doubting this creator because of suffering people, killed people, hurt people, the modern society etc.. It came so far, that money is more worth than love. I understand, why people doubt.

Quote:
[...]of what missionaries are really like.

What they're really like? Shocked
There are often two sides of the coin. Of course missionaries did and do a lot of good things. But what about the conquestors in the 16th-18th century? They forced the people to believe in their god. They burned down monuments, they killed people because of what they called heresy and so on. What about the crusades in the middle ages? A lot of people died, because two religious ideas were abused.
I don't think, that it is possible to tell, what anyone is really like. If you do so, you lump everyone together. Maybe it is possible to tell, what the idea of missionaries is like, and I guess, it is not bad, but nobody has got the right to force anyone to believe in his god.
coffeedecafe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and it would be fair to say, that no genuine god would need human force to prove his existence ,would he?
in fact if a religion needs to use force to keep its followers, then that religion deserves to have a very lonely god
i have played with the idea that doubt is really the cause of faith. it is often when we have a valid question in mind, or a need in our life or our family that we start to search with great energy fot the truth we need.
and a creator god will be able to let us know he is there[ if we ask him].
but sometimes we need to try some experiments before we find experience.
if you have an old testament section of the bible, you might find the story of gideon in the book of judges chapters 6-8 interesting.
Passerby

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: My God~~ Reply with quote

Actually, there had been one god in my life. When I was young, my mom and I both believed in the power, the supernational power of god. Actually, I was forced to share with her belief or maybe I should have said I was assimilated unconsciously by my mom because she read the Buddism and listened to the Buddism music and everything and eventually that had become part of my life and of course I got used to it.

How it work out on me this religion? Actually, I could never tell the effect I felt from it but I could only tell that my mom had been better to cope with this difficult life thereafter.

Maybe this is how I define my god, once when it is time, and it's about time to come, Iwill feel it and the power enbedded in it.

Passerby
liebe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Yes, liebe IS love in German (however, I'm not German--in case you were wondering, coffeedecafe).

We all need to feel loved, it's one of our basic needs as human beings, to feel loved and protected. I understand that the belief in God can help others. When I was a child and believed in God, I remember it always made me feel more secure. It's not wrong to believe in God, I didn't say so. It's just that I feel he/she doesn't exist. If there is a God, he/she doesn't necessarily need to prove his existence, but at least you can expect to see the things he/she talks about in the bible happen! Justice, for example. Where is the justice in this world? In the fact that so many people are poor, hungry, miserable and unhappy, while so few are born rich? Where is the reward of the hard work? How come God doesn't do anything about it? In the bible it says that God rewards kindness and punishes evil. I don't see that happening...

Every person has a right to do whatever he/she wishes. I believe in the saying "live and let live". If believing in God makes you feel stronger, that's great. I feel strong enough to face the reality of this cruel and unjust world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> The Strange and Mysterious All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: