Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you think about terrorism?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: In my opinion Reply with quote

Hi
I have just read every opinions today, all of these are very interesting.
I agree with every people. As I know terrorism is an issue in the present.
For example, 911 , this news I think every people know. I was very sad
with this event.
B.
stroller

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, Laughing they are so silly that i think we should not pay so much attention on them. there may be some attacks, perharps, but who mind that? Twisted Evil
in public opinion, the best thing we can do to reduce terrorism attacks is lauching attack on themselves. but where they are? they seem to be live hidely. then we get overfeared or submit them? it's just hit the target that terrorism willing to see. they almost died of joy when they find so many people focus on them.
so one thing we could do is let the pubic calm on this issue. we should think in this way, more people lose their lives on the war much more than terrorism losses each year. since we can do nothing to protect ourselves, let army do that, Cool go your life in normal and terrorists could only find that what they do could affect so few. then many of them may give up their courses.
Anxious Heart

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stoller wrote:
since we can do nothing to protect ourselves, let army do that

Sad is that, what you call responsibility? To let the armee "solve" problems their way, with weapons and violence? Maybe they're able to keep this problem under control, but it is obvious, that solving the problem of terrorism would mean more action and more thinking about society. But you're right... the easiest way is, to carry on like usual. Whether that is a good way or not, your moral code judges...
LucentShade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The focus on terrorism is part of the smoke-and-mirrors act that the elites use to divert attention away from the real issues, like economic inequality, that have been mentioned in earlier posts. As long as the American (or other) people are consumed by fear of big explosions and deadly chemical attacks, they won't care if the government sacrifices social services and other things like funding for education and infrastructure in order to buy more weapons and fight more wars. As long as the terrorists are the enemy, they won't notice the corporations and the people that run them becoming extremely wealthy, while at the same time the lower classes in the US and all over the world are becoming poorer and suffering greatly.
Anxious Heart

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucent Shade wrote:
The focus on terrorism is part of the smoke-and-mirrors act that the elites use to divert attention away from the real issues, like economic inequality, that have been mentioned in earlier posts. As long as the American (or other) people are consumed by fear of big explosions and deadly chemical attacks, they won't care if the government sacrifices social services and other things like funding for education and infrastructure in order to buy more weapons and fight more wars. As long as the terrorists are the enemy, they won't notice the corporations and the people that run them becoming extremely wealthy, while at the same time the lower classes in the US and all over the world are becoming poorer and suffering greatly.

I totally agree with you.

There are some people, who calculated, how many lives could be saved, if every country used the military budget for the social section. I can't remember the concrete number, but it was astonishing....
marjorierommy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: you are right Reply with quote

i think that he violence is not the way to express your ideas, so i�m against the war, and all the things that Bush have been doing in IRAK sucks, and i think the same about Bin la den. Shocked there are a lot of ways to show your ideas but the violence is the worse! Shocked Rolling Eyes
liebe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you guys know a lot about the governments in Arab countries. Those countries are run mostly by rich dictators who spend all their money on oil and who don't care a bit for their own people. They allow their people to starve and let the terrorist groups spread propaganda in their countries. Those terrorist groups come up to the poor people (who are the vast majority in those countries) and tell them that all their problems exist because of the western world and encourage them to be terrorists. Considering the fact that those people are so poor and completely uneducated, many of them feel attracted to terrorism. Destroying Al Queda alone won't do any good, because it won't solve the core of the problem. The problem is that Arab countries are run by dictatorships and the majority of the people are poor and uneducated. The way to stop it is to bring democracy to them. You might say that it's not right, to push your nose into other people's business, but really, what is the other choice? To bombard those countries once in a while? To ignore it? To criticize Israel and the U.S and support those terrorists? But would any of those really solve the problem? Those all are weaker solutions. When Hitler gained power in 1933, the world chose to ignore him, and for a long while Europe had a policy of appeasing him. Look what happened... Think about the lives that could have been saved if someone would have removed him from power already in 1933.

What do I think about the war in Iraq? It seems to me that there are two views about this subject: A. The bad Americans went and killed the innocent Iraqis. B. U.S protected itself from the bad, cruel Iraq. Those two are so simplistic, so incorrect. They are both based on propaganda. I can't tell if Bush's motives weren't selfish in the first place, but really, is removing Hussein from power and inserting democracy in Iraq such a bad thing? What is so bad, when your own selfish actions are for the benefit of eventually everybody? Right now it looks like a big mess there, it seems that it would take months to build a real democratic government there. I can't tell as to how much effort the U.S is making for this to happen, because I don't live there. Keep in mind folks, that 99% of what you see in the news is propaganda. NEVER base your opinion on a country from what you hear there. I lived in Israel for 10 years (I'm originally from Russia) and the things people say and think about Israel and the conflict there often astonish me...

Think about what I've wrote.
Would be happy to get responses,
Liebe
Anxious Heart

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liebe wrote:
The way to stop it is to bring democracy to them.

If it was that easy, the culture pessimism would die out. It is important, to make the people there accept this system (of course democracy is better than a cruel dictatorship, but as you see nowadays, it isn't the non plus-ultra social system). And I really understand people, who doubt the good in democracy, when it is brought by war. They always tell you something about loving your neighbour, peace and grace, and then an oh-so demorcratic country bombs your houses. The first thing, that people in Iraq noticed from democrcy were fear, death and destruction. So why should they believe in the good of a system, which is abused for war?

I think, to help other countries to improve their social system is alright. And helping doesn't mean forcing, but trying to make people see, that loving your neighbour, peace and equality are something, that can be achieved.
asterix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucentShade is trying to make this all about the class struggle. Karl Marx would be proud of him. However that is rubbish and the idea behind terrorism is to destabilise the society against which you are committing acts of barbarism. This is then supposed to polarise it into those who support it and those who don't and attract more support.
In this present war on terrorism, it is working quite well, with the liberal press in (particularly) Britain falling over themselves in their rush to condemn anyone with enough balls to actually do something about it.
What this is really all about is that the Arabs have been trying for close to 60 years to eliminate the nation of Israel and every jew who lives there. Hitler without the Wehrmacht, in fact, since the Arab armies have been unable to defeat Israel in 3 wars despite overwhelming numerical superiority.
America is the main suporter and ally of Israel and this is an attempt to destabilise America and perhaps weaken its support for Israel to the point where the Arabs may finally prevail.
Anxious Heart

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asterix wrote:
However that is rubbish and the idea behind terrorism is to destabilise the society against which you are committing acts of barbarism.

And maybe someday we will start to think about, how extraordinarily beautiful and fair a society has to become, so that human beings, who have the opportunity to reflect on their actions are taken so far to kill civilians.
And maybe someday we will think about, if it isn't too easy, just to judge terrorists as babarians. Maybe we will see, that this people are also human beings like you and me and that we wouldn't act in another way, if we were them. And maybe we'll start to look for the roots of this terrorism.
And maybe someday we will see, that bombing a city is just another babarous action.

But when I look around and look at myself, I think, the atomic war will come sooner than our humanity.....
liebe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Asterix:

You are right. The amount of anti-Semitic propaganda in the Arab countries is unbelievable. Here's, for example, a typical math problem in a Palestinian school: "A great Islamic hero blows himself up in Tel Aviv, killing 12 Jewish pigs. Another great hero blows himself up in Jerusalem, killing unfortunately only 9 Zionistic swine. How many *beep*' Israelis were killed today by great Islamic heroes?" No, I'm not exaggerating it. In a typical Arab newspaper you'd find anti-Semitic descriptions of the Jews and the things they supposedly do--that they eat Arabic children, drink their blood, and so on. Very reminiscent of the Nazi propaganda during the Third Reich or the anti-Semitic propaganda in middle-aged Europe.

To Anxious Heart:

You need to fight fire with fire. IT IS difficult to persuade those people to believe in democracy, especially since they've been taught to hate the western world and its ideas since childhood. But when their countries are ruled by ruthless dictatorships, it is absolutely impossible. I don't see any other way except for removing the dictators standing in power... They are human beings like us, it's just that they are uneducated and taught to hate us. Talking to them alone, without taking any actions, won't do any good.

By the way guys, I am not sure if those European countries that opposed the war opposed it because of feeling sorry for the "innocent" "poor" Iraqis. After all, people are starving everyday in Africa, yet Europe never showed much concern about them. I think that they are just afraid of the U.S becoming too powerful; the idea of the U.S doing what it wants to doesn't please anyone. Also, they don't want any problems with terrorists. They look at the U.S and the September 11, at the terrorist attack in Madrid, they just don't want to have the same problems and choose the easiest way out.

Historically, Arab countries used to be scientifically advanced (at times, even more advanced than Europe), before the Islam dominated them. It's just the Islamic fundamentalism that stops them from any progress, and they, instead of seeing it, only blame the West for all their problems.
yuttakit

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, My name Bandit. I�m a Thai student. I very interested about terrorism, because nowadays my country have problem about terrorism . Everyday I must to read news from newspeper or watch television.
In my opinion I think terrorism is the biggest problem for everybody. There are many terrorism in the world, and many countries are damaged from these situations. There are many factors of this problem, such as the different of idea, aspiration and religion. It�s necessary to find a method to protect and solve problem. Many people can remember terrorism in USA. A lot of people was to be dead. Osama Bin laden is the leader of terrorism. 80 countries around the world must to be come extinct people from terrorism. The terrorism is same the black shade.
It�s hard to find solution to solve this problem, because it�s big problem. But I think we can solve it, every country on the world are co-operation to protect and destroy the terrorism.
LucentShade

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asterix wrote:
LucentShade is trying to make this all about the class struggle. Karl Marx would be proud of him. However that is rubbish and the idea behind terrorism is to destabilise the society against which you are committing acts of barbarism.

Asterix, you're right in that I may be playing up the class struggle bit too much. However, I didn't say that terrorism was about class struggle, but rather, the U.S. government/media response serves the purposes that I mentioned. Sure, I'm all for stopping terrorism, but not in ways that show such transparent self-interest like the Iraq operation. Even laying aside questions of oil, the WMD still haven't shown up, and the Sadaam/al-Qaeda connections are still theoretical. Sadaam built a relatively secular Iraq (compared to other Middle Eastern nations), as totalitarian as it was. Would an extreme fundamentalist like bin Laden really be closely allied with someone like that? After the issues of WMD and al-Qaeda links, we hear that the war was "to bring freedom to the Iraqi people." Suffice to say, there are plenty of other people living in opression (not merely "class" opression, but actual dictatorships), and we haven't done anything about them.

As a final note, we know that the right to safely question and criticize institutions and agreeing to disagree are cherished feature of democratic government. So, if the liberal press is being weak in criticizing anti-terror efforts. . .isn't it also somewhat bad form to label anyone who questions the status quo as a crazy commie pinko?
LucentShade

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liebe wrote:

Historically, Arab countries used to be scientifically advanced (at times, even more advanced than Europe), before the Islam dominated them. It's just the Islamic fundamentalism that stops them from any progress, and they, instead of seeing it, only blame the West for all their problems.

Actually, whatever brought the Arab world down from scientific preemminence, it wasn't Islamic rule. Islam began in the mid 7th century, and came to dominate a region including northern Africa, (present-day) Saudi Arabia/Egypt/Israel/Iraq/+smaller Middle Eastern countries, Turkey, and southern Spain, within 200-300 years. Levels of science and living standards in that region remained high compared to Europe until the Renaissance in the 16th century, when the Europeans caught up and eventually surpassed the Arab/Islamic region. Even though the latter declined for the next few hundred years, the Ottoman (Turkish) Empire still existed until its defeat by the British during World War I.

That's what I can recall, at least. The point is that Islamic dominance did not stop scientific progress in that region, at least not immediately. Liebe's second claim, though, is valid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: