Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interracial Dating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackguy-n-Asia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Interracial Dating Reply with quote

Do you think that in this day and age, interracial dating (black/white, asian/white, etc) is acceptable?

We see it all the time, in the shopping malls, on T.V. and in the schools. Do you think that one race is 'just using another' for a green card, for prestige, for just trying to be cool or fit in?
Is the world ready for another bout of internationalsim? Will there be a new race, a homogenious mix of one?
Maybe those who dabble in interracial dating are just acting out fantasies, or trying to prove myths or stereotypes?

What do you think. Have you dated a race that is not your own? Are you still a believer in humanity, or a born again facist?

...and how was the date? How were you treated by others? by your own family?
blackguy-n-Asia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I'm surprised by the responses.

I guess you all have never dated outside your race? How sad Crying or Very sad

I have. I fact I've made it a point to date other races, so that I can learn about them and their culture.
LucentShade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute, it's not fair to say that anyone who doesn't date outside of their race is a born-again fascist. For me, it's a matter of preferences, not racism, that decides what races I find attractive.
blackguy-n-Asia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoaaa.

Everyone has their preferences. I know what gives me a rise too....but it would be unfortunate not to experience other cultures as well.

Not even about race, because within each race you have big differences!

Chinese and Japanese, West African and East African, English and German, Indian and Sri Lankan, etc

...but if you prefer just your own, then who is to say you are racist? I just think it would be better to try a different flavor, just to see the difference.

ps- Why do people always pull out the racism angle?
LucentShade

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackguy-n-Asia wrote:

ps- Why do people always pull out the racism angle?

Maybe I misunderstood you, but the way you phrased it made me think that you were putting this in a racist light.

Consider:

blackguy-n-Asia wrote:

Have you dated a race that is not your own? Are you still a believer in humanity, or a born again facist?

The second question, as I read it, implies that one is a believer in humanity if they have dated someone outside their race. On the other hand, the second half of the question, "or a born again fascist," implies that if one has not dated outside their race, they are a fascist. That's what I was calling unfair in my reply, and I understand that you might not have meant it that way.

(Note: Since one aspect of fascism is extreme nationalism and racism (as in Nazi Germany), I treated the concepts as equal for purposes of this post, since if somebody is a fascist, it's likely that they are also a racist.)
simplyblessedwithlove

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Interracial Dating Reply with quote

blackguy-n-Asia wrote:
Do you think that in this day and age, interracial dating (black/white, asian/white, etc) is acceptable?

We see it all the time, in the shopping malls, on T.V. and in the schools. Do you think that one race is 'just using another' for a green card, for prestige, for just trying to be cool or fit in?
Is the world ready for another bout of internationalsim? Will there be a new race, a homogenious mix of one?
Maybe those who dabble in interracial dating are just acting out fantasies, or trying to prove myths or stereotypes?

First of all, I don't think you should have brought this subject up in the first place. If you wanted to, you should have made it more clear. Second of all, I'm Asian and my boyfriend is White. I'm an American citizen so do I need to be with him just to get a green card? Also, what's so cool about having a person of different race as your boyfriend or girlfriend? If one's in love just to be cool then it's not love. It shouldn't be called love at all. Maybe there are people who get married just to live in some country, but it doesn't mean ALL are like that. Third of al, we're all humans. We should respect other races in the sam way as one wants others to respect theirs.
blackguy-n-Asia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Miss Blessed, I understand what you are saying, maybe I have phrased it in a 'controversial way' but I do it on purpose to evoke response.

Next time though, I'll keep it simple. (1 question, 1 idea)

I DO think it's cool to date other races. I've dated every race exept Mongolian, and I believe that one learns alot from it. Even though you are American, you ARE a different race from your friend, and this, by itself, creates a different dynamic in the relationship than dating your own race.
There are people out there who disagree with with dating outside ones race, who are racist, there are people who date for a green card, or to be seen as cool because they are dating a certain race.......many different experiences with many different peoples out there....

I believe there is nothing negative about interracial dating, I just want to know what others think of it.
Teacher

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my relationships have been with people of a different race to me. I have encountered many problems during my relationships but none of them were related to race. It was never an issue. The issues I've been concerned about with men is love, trust, honesty and respect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: