Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heroes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lioness

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Heroes Reply with quote

Who are your national "heroes"? I mean some characters who are thought to be paragons of virtue- you know, you should follow their example. Polish literary heroes are people who actually failed to do something. There is one guy who wants to kill a tzar (Russian tzars ruled one part of Poland for 123 years) and... he faints. Well, everything is very complicated, summarizing- he wasn't able to do that what he planned. Nevertheless teachers of Polish (at least those who I knew) say, that he was a hero.
So, who's your national literary heroe?
pingpong

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me, but I don't understand all what you say. So, who is the hero of Poland. If he faints, why is he a hero?
lioness

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why it is mad Shocked He is considered as a hero, because he tries. It isn't important that at finally he completely fails. You know, my friends weren't able to understand too. Laughing
There is another one, who becames Polish enemies' commander. As a result of his commandments those enemies are defeated. Is he a hero? No, he isn't. Why? My teacher told me that he fought undercover and inspite of the fact that finally Poles won because of his help, he cannot be called a hero. He wears a mask and real heroes don't do it- they attack their enemies with shining swords in daylight. They don't use tricks, they don't hide their faces and names, don't pretend to be someone different.
My friends and I don't think like that, yet I wrote what is taught in Polish schools. Confused I wonder if other countries have so strange literary heroes, or those who made success deserve to be called this name?
pingpong

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is also a hero. Who helps a country will be the hero of this country, no matter how he does it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: