Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kids learning English

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tatsuro

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Kids learning English Reply with quote

Hello, I'm university student in Japan, studying English in school.
Last year I saw a boy who speaks English very well on TV. I was surprised he's only a four or five years old kindergarten student. If my memory is certain, that kindergarten stands for teaching English to kids. His mother said learning English would be easier than start it at elementary school or junior high school.
Do you think it�s really good for children? I�m afraid if all kids use English better than me (maybe some of them already do), I�ll have to give up studying English. So please parents, don�t send your children to school like that. Please I beg you.
Dordi

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you have to give up studying English, if all kids would use English better than you? Wouldn't it be good if children could teach something to adults for a change? Anyway, you seem to use English very well already! Wink And remember, kids speak differently than adults, no matter what the language is.
I learned my first English word when I was three years old, and the reason for that was my love to music. I listened to music all the time (it was a good way to make me quiet and happy) and mostly the songs were in English. I started studying in the age of six, because I was interested in English and I still study for the same reason. I speak English always when I get a chance and sometimes I say something in English accidently, which is a bit annoying. My parents don't speak English, so when I happen to tell them something in English they don't understand me at all. Rolling Eyes
tatsuro

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. I wonder what kind of music you listen. Anyway your opinion's hit my head. Yes, that's absolutely great if kids tell us sommething, not only study what they've given.
I'd like to repay someting to someone from my experience and for the first step of it, I'll stump my friend's foot who sitting next to me for thanks of grabbing my head everytime.
Roshan Malakar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Hello! Reply with quote

Hello! My japanese Frens I am studying in Japan from 4 years. You know when I came to Japan I didn't know how to speak Japanese .But in my country English is second language and i can speak english. But when I knew that japanese don't use english in their daily life I was socked. That is why I think that from elementry school it is necessary to teach english language.
wolfstone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kids actually learn a language better than teenagers or adults. The sooner you learn English, the better. As far as I am concerned, I learnt English too late to acquire a good fluency and pronunciation. But I have to accept my level and use it as well as possible.
sakura

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!! I'm Japanese student. I think kids need to study English, because they are easier to learn English than adults. If we learned English when we were children, we may speak English well. Children may be interested in English. It is easy to understand English for children when they are interested in English. Don't you think so?
lioness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very young children have a great chance not to learn a language, yet to acquire it subconsciously. Well my English isn't perfect but I'm going to talk in English to my kid to make her life easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: