Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

problem in learning englsih
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winnie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: problem in learning englsih Reply with quote

people always says there're no short cut to learn english!
and i think that is true!! so i need to work hard!and i think
learning english by watching films is really fantastic!!do u agree?

but i still don't know how to improve my written english! how to build up my own style! can anybody teach me?!
dduck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Problems learning English Reply with quote

Hi Winnie,

Learning English from TV is a real easy way to learn English. If you sit with a dictionary you can look up words as the story continues. Perhaps, a better way to do it is write down the words you don't understand, look them up at the end - then watch the film again!

The only way to improve your written English is to write, write, write and then read, read, read. Places like alt.english.usage and misc.education.language.english are good because of the teachers there, who are all happy to answer you questions. I'm one of them. Wink

This student forum is a good place to practise writing, but you'll learn more English from teachers.

Regards,
Iain
wing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Problems learning English Reply with quote

dduck wrote:
Hi Winnie,

Learning English from TV is a real easy way to learn English. If you sit with a dictionary you can look up words as the story continues. Perhaps, a better way to do it is write down the words you don't understand, look them up at the end - then watch the film again!

The only way to improve your written English is to write, write, write and then read, read, read. Places like alt.english.usage and misc.education.language.english are good because of the teachers there, who are all happy to answer you questions. I'm one of them. Wink

This student forum is a good place to practise writing, but you'll learn more English from teachers.

Regards,
Iain

Yes, I totally agree with you, Iain. The more you read, the more you can write; that is the only way to improve. Once you have enough practise, you will be able to express more creatively and freely, Winnie.
winnie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: thank you ! Reply with quote

dear dduck and wing,
nive to meet you !
thank you very much!!!!!!
i am so glad , os happy to receive your reply!!!
i will follow suit to your suggestions to improve my english by write write write and write , read read read and read!!! really , thankyou both of you!!!!
by the way , i am interested to know where are you come from , or i may say , what's your nationality? i guess you both are chinese , and may may is Hong Konger! right?!?
yours,
winnie
winnie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: thank you ! Reply with quote

dear dduck and wing,
(sorry , there are some typing mistakes on my above article)
nice to meet you !
thank you very much!!!!!!
i am so glad , so happy to received your reply!!!
i will follow suit to your suggestions to improve my english by write write write and write , read read read and read!!! really , thankyou both of you!!!!
by the way , i am interested to know where are you come from , or i may say , what's your nationality? i guess you both are chinese , and may be is Hong Konger! right?!?
yours,
winnie
wing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: thank you ! Reply with quote

Dear Winnie, I'm Chinese, from Hong Kong (are you: )?). I find there are many Hong Kongeses here. Very nice.

Hey, good luck to your exams.
dduck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what's your nationality? i guess you both are chinese , and may be is Hong Konger! right?!?

Hi Winnie,

I live in Scotland, in a town not very far away from Edinburgh Smile

Iain
winnie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: he he Reply with quote

oh ! i guess it wrong!
anyway , nice to meet you!!
i hope that we can become good friend soon!
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: How to feel cool with the English language Reply with quote

If you haven't the chance to get the British and American TV programmes, you've got plenty of materials here on internet. Personally, I don't use the English language in my daily life but I try to listen to English things everyday: radio (not difficult to have the BBC from the north of France) or for instance by listening to Dvd's subtitled in English. That's an easier way to understand them and to improve your ability for reading....
winnie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

Dear wing ,
you are a chinese , me too!!
yes , i also found that there are many Hong Kongers here!!!

hey , are u form 7 or above?

yours,
winnie Very Happy
winnie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Chris ,
Learning english by watching TV programmes or films is really enjoyable!
I like it too!
(however , my home have no Dvd! Crying or Very sad )

From your words above , i feel that you like english(can i say so much ?!).
So can you tell me why , why do you like english?

In my opinion, english is quite pleasing and graceful!
I like to talk to western people , because they are so lively!
Also , i think english is far more easier than chinese to be remember!
Agree?

yours,
winnie
wing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: hi Reply with quote

Nah, I left CityU three months ago. In short, I'm 22 now.
English is a crazy language I am crazy about, but perhaps it's just a matter of the fact that it is our second language, I can't feel it is easy to remember the spellings.
Big bother, big brother......I made such a mistake.
wing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: How to feel cool with the English language Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
If you haven't the chance to get the British and American TV programmes, you've got plenty of materials here on internet. Personally, I don't use the English language in my daily life but I try to listen to English things everyday: radio (not difficult to have the BBC from the north of France) or for instance by listening to Dvd's subtitled in English. That's an easier way to understand them and to improve your ability for reading....

Hi Chris, aren't you a native speaker? And already found the way through the supermarket?
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: To Winnie And Wing Reply with quote

No, I'm not a native speaker. To me English is only a hobby like gardening for somebody else. A wonderful gateway to the world. I usually go to Britain around two weeks per year but it's not enough to improve your efficiency. So I try to practise during the year here in those different forums. The Chinese language is certainly more difficult than the English one and with all these signs everywhere:" I will be lost in the supermarket" In English, I think they usually say "It's all greek", in French we used to say "that's Chinese".

--
Lost In The Supermarket/London Calling/The Clash (1979)

Last edited by Chris on Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
dduck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: To Winnie And Wing Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
In English, I think they say "It's all greek", in French we used to say "that's Chinese".

We say "It's all Greek to me". It's interesting that the French say the same thing about Chinese Smile

Iain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: