Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why do so many people believe in GoD
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> The Strange and Mysterious
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: why do so many people believe in GoD Reply with quote

i do not believe in god
i don't know why there's so many people believe in god
what is the use or advantage of believing the god
i think attending the mass every week and praying every day
is a waste of time
there're also many contradicts in the bible

if you disagree with me, please give me convincing reasons
Bob S.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: why do so many people believe in GoD Reply with quote

cubee wrote:
what is the use or advantage of believing the god
i think attending the mass every week and praying every day
is a waste of time

If this is not a rhetorical question and you really want to know, then:
from http://www.davidmyers.org/religion/faith.html
You will be happier.
"People who are active in faith communities are noticeably happier than those who are not... 28 percent of those who never attend church declared themselves "very happy," as did 39 percent of those attending weekly and 47 percent of those attending more often than weekly. Other lines of evidence confirm that religion is more often associated with joy and effective coping than with misery and hopelessness."
You will live longer and healthier.
"...in one Maryland county... those who attended religious services weekly were less likely to die during the study period than those who did not--53 percent less from coronary disease, 53 percent less due to suicide, and 74 percent less from cirrhosis."
"...the beliefs of religiously active people motivate healthier life-styles; for example, they smoke and drink less."
{See also the Time magazine article: "FAITH & HEALING
CAN PRAYER, FAITH AND SPIRITUALITY REALLY IMPROVE YOUR PHYSICAL HEALTH? A GROWING AND SURPRISING BODY OF SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE SAYS THEY CAN" (Jun. 24, 1996) and also http://www.mayo.edu/proceedings/2003/jul/7807comm.pdf which notes "Evidence is adduced to show that belief in God and an afterlife is conducive to a longer and healthier life on earth..."}
Additionally, religion makes for a generally better society because:
"...people of an active faith are more moral, more purposeful, and more compassionate (much more generous with their time and money). "
And (per Mayo Clinic's mayo.com) "people who gather to pray and sing in churches, cathedrals, mosques, and temples are known to avoid risky lifestyles: most eschew smoking, drinking, and drugs; are not promiscuous; are not violent; and are generally continent."

cubee wrote:

Not everyone who believes in God or any god is a Christian. Also, not all Christians believe 100% the literalness of the Bible. Whether or not there are contradictions in the Bible has nothing to do with the bigger question of Is there a God.
jan krebs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: God Reply with quote

Dear Cubee, Wether or not you believe in God is irrelevant...it is His job to draw you to HIM...not mine to convince you of his existance.....However, if you look at a beautiful building...than you know there must be an architect...the same applies in nature. Look at the stars, look at a blade of grass, look at a caterpillar...look at an ant....something created them....was it a big bang???? and if it was...what caused the big bang?
ela2004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: why do so many people believe in GoD? Reply with quote

Yes i am pelieve in god. i don't now way many people don't pelieve that .
i want aske him sam question???
how is make the sea?...
how is make the land?...
how is make the wather?...
i think there is some body he's doing that he is a god we can't see him but he can see you.
we are hir for what?
can you aske your self this question? Smile

mr:abdul
Honey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: why do so many people believe in God Reply with quote

I do believe in God. As someone mentioned before, not all people called "Christian" believes in God, and sadly, not all of them follow him as they should. Yet, when a person actually loves Jehovah and wants to follow his principles and will, he evidences that it's the right way! Not a perfect life, but a more correct point of view and attitude. It also provides a real hope about our future. As you can see, human beings have not been able to rule themselves.

The current happenings have a purpose, and it wasn't His choice but ours. However, this won't be forever. I - as well as faithful Christians - know that this will have a happy and real ending soon! Very Happy

cubee wrote:

Can you quote, at least, one or two contradictions? I guess that, more than contradictions, there are difficult parts that deserve a depe exploration. Still, I read the bible and I have found no contradiction in it. And, anyway, I do believe in it: so far, it's predicted many facts we're seeing nowadays. And there are different evidences that it's a real document... In fact, it's inspired by God. Wink

Au revoir !
RebeccaGMW

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in God and I like to teach others what the Bible says about God and about us. I teach English and the Bible together.

Many students tell me they are curious about what the Bible says because of its influence on Western culture. I'm happy to help students study English as they gain an understanding of what the Bible is about.

My website is below if anyone would like to join a study.

Blessings,
Rebecca
http://www.guidemywords.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cait88

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe in God.
Most people have already said what I would reply to you. I don't know where I would be now if it wasn't for God in my life. I am not as close to Him as I should be, and no one is perfect. I pray one day you will respond to His call on you when it comes. It is very scary to respond, but so worth it!
As to contradictions, there are none. The Bible is the infallable word of God. Many people who are now Christians became so because they tried to find one contradiction in the Bible to prove believers wrong. When they couldn't, they realized how awesome God is.
Please don't mistake misunderstanding of the Bible for contradictions. I, of course, do not understand everything, but I am surely learning. It's all true whether I understand it or not. I just have to make sure I am reading "in the Spirit," which means using the Holy Spirit that's in me to understand what God is telling me. You can only do that if you are saved, which means accepting that Christ died for you and asking forgiveness for your sins. He will then come into your heart and you will be a brand new person. There aren't even rules you have to follow to be "a good person" like there would be if you weren't a Christian. For us, Paul says, all things are allowed, but all things aren't good for you. I want to what's right and what God loves. That's the difference.
I encourage you to find out more from the teacher who responded above.
fa6ma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiii..

i think everyone should believe in God...

if you can not find it in Christianity you should look for it in another religion...

you should think about big qustions in order to belive in God existince...

for example.. who created Adam, the first man???

who created this complex univers?? and why???

lots of people dosenot belive in God because they belive in the materal things only.. But in the case of God we can not see, toch or hear him..so the do not belive in it and think it is a wast of time.. But we should see this view from another point..those people if they have desaster or they become very sick they seek refuge in God... so they belive in God without knowing it..

we can only seek the truth through the books we have from the massengers Mohammed, Jesus, and Moses..

so i suggest that you look through the books of these massengers and seek the truth.. if there is any contradiction in the book itself you should find the truth by your self in another book..

this is a good article talks about God exist
http://www.islamonline.net/askaboutislam/display.asp?hquestionID=5268

and i suggest that you visit this web
http://www.islamonline.net

God bless you Very Happy
edwardC53

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its natural to believe in a god when you consider the nature of existance. At some point time and space did not exist (this is what science tells us), so what made them exist. Also I think having any kind of belief system is extremely practical as it makes life less complex - it is easier to decide what is right and wrong.

Having said that I am firmly in the category of undecided aka a fence sitter. Believing in God (with a capital G) is a leap (some might say act) of faith that I cannot make.

Also you should read this.
Chyna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody

I think, maybe, there's something or somebody, but "He" isn't as good as people belive.
Humanity need belive in something.

I don�t belive in God, I need some demonstration from him.

I think Christ was the first rebellious man, like Che or somebody similar.
coffeedecafe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not only do many people believe in god, but on this day many celebrate the idea that god believes in us and offers "on earth, peace, goodwill to all. so, merry christmas Laughing
princesita

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: why do so many people believe in GoD Reply with quote

I'm supossed to be a christian, cause at home and at school everybody taugh me it was the right thing to do. anyway, i'm not a christian at all. I don't think it's the true religion, cause if you think about it seriously, why is my religion the true one and not the others?? what about ppl that believe in Buda, or Ala or anyother gods?? are them all wrong?? no, it can't be like this. I better think that there has to be Someone or Something beyond, but we humen will never understand it. I think there must be a god that gives sense to our lives, cause if it's not, why are we here so?? Confused
lostboys

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm...people are always saying there are contradictions in the Bible but I've never seen proof of it. Most of the people who make this argument have never read the Bible at all. If you are going to make that argument you must know the whole Bible and know it very very very well. So tell me, have you read the entire Bible? Do you understand every word and passage and chapter and book of the entire thing?
Criollo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: why do so many people believe in GoD Reply with quote

Well...I do not think that many people believe in the Hebrew God, even when they said it. one thing is religion an another is feith, religion usually do not follow the Bible, they are just like big bussines, but do not blame God for that, and it is more logical to believe in a superior been Who create us than believe in a monkey transforming it selfs in human, is not?

God does not need religion to make people believe,... it is about you to have something that shall make sence in this life.
coffeedecafe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

i would rather believe in the bible god than a monkee also.
in fact, sometimes i sing to him. things like, "i believe in you because you are so believable. i trust in you to never let me down. i pray to you because you made it possible. when on the cross, you tore the barriears down."
that is what the words mean to me in that famous verse, ''the father so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son, that whoever belives in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> The Strange and Mysterious All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: