Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have no idea of this sentence , pls help me out .thanks !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> English Schools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeppy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: I have no idea of this sentence , pls help me out .thanks ! Reply with quote

I have no idea of how to understand this sentence "The more you try to undo it, the more you feel like you�re flailing about and calling attention to a situation you wish would just go away. " thanks for your help first !

here is the passage below

Sometimes it can be hard enough to believe that your boyfriend�s friend is hitting on you, let alone know how to respond. Yes, you do have several options, from playing dumb and ignoring his overtures to remembering that you never said you wanted an exclusive relationship after all. (More on that last option later).

But if your boyfriend�s friend is persistent, and you have no interest in him, your options narrow considerably. These are the times when your life starts to resemble a scene out of Bridget Jones�s Diary. You�re being showered with attention from multiple suitors, but it�s all terribly wrong. The more you try to undo it, the more you feel like you�re flailing about and calling attention to a situation you wish would just go away.
RebeccaGMW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

"The more you try to undo it, the more you feel like you’re flailing about and calling attention to a situation you wish would just go away. "

This sentence is saying that the more you try to change the situation (or undo it), the more it seems that you are actually making the situation a larger problem when you really just want it to stop.

"You're flailing about" is like moving wildly about with no sense of control. So if someone is flailing about, they are really making a fool of themself, for all to see.

I hope that helps. Smile

Rebecca
http://www.guidemywords.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TestMagic.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good explanation, Rebecca.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> English Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: