Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Appearance important?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trinity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Appearance important? Reply with quote

Hi? My name is Jiwon from Seoul Korea.
Nowadays a lot of people in Korea want to be thin and beautyful.
And It's really hard to find fat women in the street.

Do you guys think how her/his appearance is more important than
their inner personality?

Do you think Plastic Surgery is necessary?
(If you need, Are you going to do it?)

Thankyou for your reply~
Roseray

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Hong Kong, most people concern their appearance much. Therefore, the cosmetic business is thriving and the beauty palours open one after the other though the economic downturn globally. Most teenagers especially girls try every efforts to look slim. In fact, this phenomenon isn't healthy. Sometimes they skip breakfast, lunch or supper.
I think appearance is not the most important one in our life. Our talents, personality and thinking are important too! Wink
hpp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: love is blind Reply with quote

apperance is not important.

Canadian women say that.

if your boyfriend said

"you have to loose weight"

you must break up with him

Korean culture is not right.
Corey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: love is blind Reply with quote

hpp wrote:
apperance is not important.

Canadian women say that.

if your boyfriend said

"you have to loose weight"

you must break up with him

Korean culture is not right.

I don't know about that. I know many Canadians who joke with their girlfriend / boyfirend about losing weight. Mainly people joke about themselves though. Shocked

Having said that, people SAY appearances aren't important but if you think about it they really are (even if they shouldn't be).

Take Care,

Corey
[url]english.abcingles.net[/url]
ilya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, everything is easy. If you don`t want to lose your boyfriend or girlfriend you have to be the best. If you you are fat you can be liked only people who like fat people. I don`t like fat people i mean i like them as friends, they are usually have a kinder soul and heart. And if you are going only to talk with your girlfriend you may chose the ugly girl.
But anyway, people should respect all people who don`t interfere to live you.
ericlovehill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you never look at the mirror...

If you don't mind other's opinions on your appearance...

If you only trust yourself...

Then, it's not important at all, vice versa.
tkh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Appearance important? Reply with quote

trinity wrote:

their inner personality?

It goes without saying that one's inner personality is important. But I think apparence is the one of the factor which makes own identity.

Some guys/gils like thin men/women, others like fat men/women. Maybe many people in Korea think that many people like thin and beatiful. Then, they may effort to be thin and beatiful. It is, I think, not bad motibation.

I want you to thik that Is one's own personarity really sucrificed by beautiful apparence? I don't think so simply.

Some plastic girls are really beautiful and cute, but others are not beautiful nor cute. I think most important is own good identity.
nash

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion,it's no use to pay sum of money to have plastic surgery,
we mustn't judge by appearances,it is not a important factor for a person.
if you are a youger girl about 20-25,your boy friend may admire you how
beautiful you are at that time.but 5 years later you become
older,not younger any more. i bet he will say you are not charming than
before.it's nature.
i think beauty of appearance is skin-deep,everyone should pay more attention to their character.because when you have character you have class.
wing

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although most tend to conform to the belief of "Beauty is only skin-deep", it is natural to have a certain amount of emphasis on appearance for the fact that how you look matters. People perceived as being attractive have high self-esteem, plenty of admirers and benefit in everything from job interviews to elections for public office, so girls in particular feel driven to improve their appearance though diet, exercise, cosmetics, and even cosmetic surgery.

What makes it skin-deep is who establish a standard of beauty like looking as good as "those models" impossible to reach, who starve themselves even when they are just skin and bones, and who are still unsatisfied with everything of theirs when looking their best.
Corey

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wing wrote:
What makes it skin-deep is who establish a standard of beauty like looking as good as "those models" impossible to reach, who starve themselves even when they are just skin and bones, and who are still unsatisfied with everything of theirs when looking their best.

I don't think most of them look very good anyway!!! Cool

Corey
wing

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Maybe we are not the beholders having sharp eyes to find out any beauty.
Honey

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: It matters! Reply with quote

Hello everybody!
I say appearance does matter! But not in the way you must use expensive accesories, last fashion or things like that.
But you cannot ignore we have to respect other people's view Razz by dressing weird clothes and things like that.
Of course, it isn't as important as our personality, the being we are!

About Plastic Surgery... well... most of the times, it isn't necessary. If it affects your health, of course you must! But if you want to have a nice nose, or other details I won't say... Rolling Eyes You should think it twice.

We love you as you are. If someone doesn't do it, that person isn't worth it, and THEY HAVE TO THINK ABOUT A SURGERY TO THEIR PERSONALITY! Twisted Evil

Surgery... Rolling Eyes
Bye!
Tulip lilian

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Appearance is also important in some way! Reply with quote

Hello, everyone! Surprised
There are a lot of opinions about the appearance. It's all right that the personality is much more important than the appearance. But you can't ignore Wink that when you have an interview or meeting with people at the first time, the first impression is also judged by the good-looking. Even though, as time goes by, the character will influence much more than appearance, but the first impression will also effect a lot.
For example, if you have a high ability and good character, but very bad appearance, then you would loose much chance when you want to do something. In addition, everyone says that character is more important than appearance, but when everyone meet with another one, they would mostly judge them according to their appearances immediatly.
I'm sure about it Mad What a pity! So maybe there are more and more people want to have a plastic surgery, nowadays! Shocked
But I think every people seek the beauty of everything, we love beauty thing, right? So I think if there is no danger, people could do something for being more beautiful! Laughing
lucychavez

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Appearance important? Reply with quote

I want to reply to this message.

trinity wrote:

their inner personality?

Thankyou for your reply~

Why you are worry about fat people,are you fat or s Sad Surprised skinny? Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing
jenann

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

~ INNER BEAUTY ~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: