Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cafeteria

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muni

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Cafeteria Reply with quote

Once my friend told me not to say (pronounce) cafe (kafay) to cafeteria ,I should either say caf (kaf) or cafeteria but not cafe "that is kafay " is she correct or not.
Thanks for help.
bud

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cafe doesn't work because there is a type of eating place called a cafe. A cafe is more like a restaurant, but often specializing in coffee and snacks and often with tables outside on the sidewalk. Sometimes they also serve full meals.

Your friend is correct. Stick with cafeteria, or with caf when you are with your friends.
dduck

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Cafe doesn't work because there is a type of eating place called a cafe."

Umm, what does this mean? What did you think Muni was asking? I think Muni is asking how to pronounce the word "cafe".

In Britain, people pronounce it two ways "kah-fay" and more commonly in the south of England people say "kahf". I think they say "Diner" in the US.

Iain

Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself.
--Chinese Proverb
bud

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he is asking if he can use "cafe" as an abbreviation for "cafeteria." It sounds like he already knows the pronunciation for cafe.
muni

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I want to know if I can use cafe as an abbreviation for cafetaria,because my friend told me that caf is the abbreviation for cafetaria,I was assuming that caf is pronounced as kahf and cafe is pronounced as only kah-fay not kahf because its a pronunciation of caf.
By the way I am not he Exclamation
Regards
Muni
dduck

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never quite understood the difference myself, never thought much about it before. But here's what I found on the web:

Info taken from http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

Main Entry: caf�e�te�ria
Pronunciation: "ka-f&-'tir-E-&
Function: noun
Etymology: American Spanish cafeter�a coffeehouse, from cafetera coffee maker, from French cafeti�re, from caf�
Date: 1894
: a restaurant in which the customers serve themselves or are served at a counter and take the food to tables to eat

Main Entry: ca�f�
Variant(s): also ca�fe /ka-'fA, k&-/
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French caf� coffee, caf�, from Turkish kahve -- more at COFFEE
Date: 1802
1 : a usually small and informal establishment serving various refreshments (as coffee); broadly : RESTAURANT
2 : BARROOM
3 : CABARET, NIGHTCLUB

Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself.
--Chinese Proverb
Lib

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could the difference be that a 'cafeteria' or 'caf' is a restaurant / snack bar/ caf� within an institution (like a hospital or a college) intended to be used by the people who use the institution (doctors, students etc.)... and a caf� is a (usually small) restaurant / snack bar in the street, used by the public in general?
puffff, I'm exhausted after that loooong sentence.
bud

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Sorry for my assumption Ms. Muni. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: