Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you believe destiny?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> The Strange and Mysterious
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Do you believe destiny? Reply with quote

Do you believe destiny?

I do not want to believe. It is because it is disagreeable that my future was decided.
But I may be unable to think only destiny.

Please tell me an opinion.
BASMA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAGI ... THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS IMPORTANT TOPIC ...

OF COURSR I believe destiny .... AND WITHOUT ANY DOUBT Cool
CUZ THREE REASONS :
FRST, MY ISLAMIC RELIGION AND THE QURAN SAID THAT WE MUST BELIVE DESTINY ...

SCND , EVERY THING IN THIS WORLD HAS THE END ...SO THE HUMEN IS PART OF THIS EARTH ..SO THEY ALSO HAVE THE END ...AND THEY MUST BELIEVE IT ...

THRD , I THINK PEOPLE WHO DON'T BELIEVE DESTINY THEY LIFE IN TROUBLES AND STRESS ... THEY WILL REACH TO THE BERIOD OF CONFUSED AND COMBLICATION !!

THAT'S MY OPINION ... I HOPE THAT I CAN TELL YOU ABOUT MY VIEW POINT CLEARLY ....

MY REGARDS
BASMA

Fl�via

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: i do believe in destiny Reply with quote

it may be a confuse thing but i really believe it..... i think our lives have a defined objective and it is already "writen".... did you never felt that something hapenned just because it was ment to be?!Otherwise i think we have controll about our lives......limited though........
Honey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone change his future with every single acton and, on the other hand, it can also be affected by other's actions, so it's impossible to have it already done. What I do know is that there are some actions that surely lead us to a different consequence, because our life is a game of possibilities that change at every single minute. Very Happy
sarasa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I'm Sarasa in Japan Very Happy
I believe destiny but also believe that we can change and deside our own destiny.
In Japanese, the word of "destiny" have the meaning of "move the life".
I suppose that means we can take the best way by ourself to walk the HAPPY rode☆
princesita

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you believe destiny? Reply with quote

I think it's a very confussing subject coz it's like other beliefs...4 example it's the same that if you believe in god...u can believe it or not, that's your option and anybody can say you're wrong. personally, I think everyone's got a mission in his life, that's the reason of our existance and because of that we all have a previous written path that we follow with each thing we do everyday. even when you think you have already evaded your destiny, you are only confirmming what's written. I can tell u that sometime ago I didn't believe in destiny, but then I've lived a lot of experiences that have made me believe that they happened just because they were meant to happen.

Wink bye bye!!
WEN-CHANG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Re:Do you believe destiny? Reply with quote

Hi! My Chinese name is HSU WEN-CHANG. I am a university student, coming from Taiwan. Nice to meet you. I feel the topic is very interesting and to think deeply, so I'm happy to share my opinions to friends who are from all over the world. First, I didn't know the meaning of destiny when being young. But I wanted to find the answer whether it exists or not. Now I have some words about the destiny's opinions that I learned from every step of life. I believe destiny, because there are missions that belong you as soon as your parents bear you in the world. And every one has different missions. Whatever you are a student, a teacher, a doctor or a painter, etc. You must to get along with others and we live in the same environment, society, country or even if in the same world. That's why you live, you could write your own new leaf of life and for yourself and people around you. To do your missions. In addition, I also believe we can change and grasp our destinies even though our destinies are decided. No one can decide your life except giving up yourself. Ok, I just said that. It's my opinions for destiny. Thanks to your reading. Bye. Laughing
michaelfeng

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: HOw to change our destiny Reply with quote

hello,everybody,about this question i have a answer:there is book called changing destiny.you can go to this website to have look ---www.chinkung.org/ and open the confucian and Chinese literary then you can see it .

Liao-Fan's Four Lessons
INTRODUCTION

In the sixteenth century in China, Mr. Liao-Fan Yuan wrote Liao-Fan�s Four Lessons with the hope that it would teach his son, Tian-Qi Yuan, how to understand true face of destiny, tell good from bad, correct his faults and practice good deeds. It also provided living proof of the benefits from practicing good deeds and cultivating virtue and humility. In relating his own experience in changing destiny, Mr. Liao-Fan Yuan was an embodiment of his teachings.

The title of this book is Liao-Fan�s Four Lessons. �Liao� means understanding and awakening. �Fan� means that if one is not a sage such as a Buddha, Bodhisattva or Arhat, then one is an ordinary person. So, �Liao-Fan� means to understand that it is not enough to be an ordinary person, we should be outstanding. When unvirtuous thoughts arise, we need to gradually eliminate them.

There are four lessons or chapters in this book. The first lesson shows how to create destiny. The second lesson explains the ways to reform. The third reveals the ways to cultivate goodness. And the fourth discloses the benefits of the virtue of humility.

This first lesson of learning to create destiny is a topic of interest to many people who believe that wealth or poverty, long life or short life, all is predestined. If someone had accomplished good deeds in his or her past lives, then naturally in this life he or she would live a wealthy and long life. On the other hand, if someone had been a bad person and committed bad deeds in his or her past life, then in this life he or she would live a poor and short life. However, there are exceptions. Destiny can be changed.

If we were originally destined to be rich with a long life, but had committed excessive offenses, then without having to wait until the next life to bear the consequences, we would become poor with a short life. On the other hand, if we were originally destined to be poor with a short life, but had accomplished exemplary deeds, then without having to wait until the next life, we would become wealthy with a long life. From ancient times until now, there have been many examples of this in history. Although everything that we are subjected to in this life is the result from our behavior in our past lives and has already been predestined; it is not necessarily constrained by destiny. We can still modify it with our current behavior.

Although Liao-Fan�s Four Lessons is not a Buddhist sutra, we need to respect and praise it as one. In the early part of this century, Great Master Yin-Guang, the Thirteenth Patriarch of the Pure Land School dedicated his whole life to its promotion and oversaw the printing of millions of copies of it. Not only did he unceasingly advocate this book but he also studied it, practiced what it taught and lectured on it.

As Buddhists, we are taught to refrain from all that is bad and to do all that is good, to purify our minds. This is the Dharma Seal, the criteria we can use to determine the genuineness of Buddhist teachings or truths. Buddhist sutras, which speak of principles and reasoning, are spoken by five types of people: Buddhas, in this case Buddha Shakyamuni, his students, heavenly beings, immortals and manifested beings.

As long as what has been said has the same meaning and objectives as those of the Teachings of the Buddhas and does not contradict them, the Buddhas with their great broad-mindedness would recognize them as sutras. Thus, we should regard and respect as a sutra, any work that conforms to the principles in Buddhism. And this is especially so for this book, which was certified and advocated by Great Master Yin-Guang. It can help to serve as our foundation in learning Buddhism. But even more important, it can also serve as a foundation for non-Buddhists in helping them to learn how to change their destiny.

There is much to learn about creating destiny, including principles and methods, all of which are contained within this book. Small in size, its impact can be far-reaching. Therefore, if we would like to create our destiny or to truly achieve attainment through the practice of Buddhism, we need to accord with the principles and methods contained within it.
jenjen

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destiny? The dictionary says it is a predetermined course of events. I believe our life is a journey. One we wrote and planned with some wise ones counselling us before we were born. One that has events written into it that will challenge and develop our souls. I believe that we write in the major characters, family, lovers, friends that assist us with our growth. The ones who teach us tolerance, unconditional love, patience, understanding, compassion all the virtues.

I believe that we write in the major events in our life. Births, deaths marriages, being in a certain country, place at a specific time, all so our story/life can evolve. Sometimes we are drawn without knowing why, to do something, be somewhere and something momentous happens. I believe that is following our intuition, that sense of knowing something is right, is ment to happen is our destiny.

That sense of Dejavu is remembering for a moment what we wrote and tells us we are on track.

And I believe that no matter what the outcome that if we don't learn the lesson this life, we can come back and do it again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> The Strange and Mysterious All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: