Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Divorce: Yep, There Are Reasons For It

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Family
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Honey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Divorce: Yep, There Are Reasons For It Reply with quote

According to your viewpoint, what are the only relevant and justified reasons for divorcing? Why?
AZKaban

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Divorce: Yep, There Are Reasons For It Reply with quote

Honey wrote:
According to your viewpoint, what are the only relevant and justified reasons for divorcing? Why?

- Get half the money of your spouse
- Move away from mother-in-law (father-//-)
- Legaly distance from your spouse so you don't have to kill him(her) to return to normal life
... ?
Smile
Bob S.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Divorce: Yep, There Are Reasons For It Reply with quote

Honey wrote:

The three "A"s: Adultry, Addiction, & Abuse. Each is an act of utmost selfishness as the person doing it is far more concerned with their own pleasures or insecurities than they are with the needs of their spouse or the welfare of the family. It's best to look for such qualities in a person before you marry them so you will know to look elsewhere for a lifemate.
lucyfan3956

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Bible, there is only one grounds for divorce: marital unfaithfulness. However, it does also say that if a man or woman is married to an unbeliever and that unbeliever wishes to leave, he or she is not bound to stay married to them. As for if the person is addicted to drugs or alcohol or abuses their spouse, I would say that person is not a believer and if that person wants to leave, the other person is not bound to stay married to them.

-Ezekiel 36:26-
lucyfan3956

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and another part to my reply, to the person who wrote that one reason to divorce is to get half of the money of your spouse, that is sick. I am currently dating someone whose wife left him and divorced him and she is coming after him to get all his money. Trouble is, he doesn't make that much and so after she takes FIFTY PERCENT of his check, he doesn't have enough to live on. And, yes, she left him, not the other way around. Because of what she is doing, he might be evicted from his apartment, fired from his job, lose his vehicle, and go to jail all because she wants a lot of his money and he can't afford it. He figured it up and by the time this is dragged out through the years, she will have cost him $150,000. He was almost suicidal over it. Yeah, you might get your spouse's money, but you are also taking his or her life!!! Would you want to be responsible for ruining someone else's entire life?

jumanji

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did your current boyfriend happen to mention why she left him? Did he mention what the money may be used for? There are alot of things that the person you are dating may not tell you. My wife never saw a dime from her x husband. Why? because he felt he didn't need to support their son. His girlfriend sounds alot like you. He's upset because he has no money cause his wife is taking it all. Maybe taken into account what the money is actually for might open your eyes
jumanji

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree bob.s. Abuse is a good reason to leave someone. Doesn't matter who is abused, one should not put up with it. Even the threat of abuse is wrong and should not be tolerated. My wife's little boy almost lost his life to his crazy father. He threatened to mortally wound him. Never touched him but she wasn't going to take the chance. So she left to protect the child. He is 4, he threatened these things when he was a year old. She did what she could do to protect him. I don't blame her for that one bit. I am in the process of trying to adopt the little boy. and we are expecting our first together in a few months.
At least, when she was single, raising him. The child support would have helped out a little. But the father won't take on the responsibility. And all the while, the boys biological fathers girlfriend thinks that the money is for the x-wife to spend. not for the boy, because she doesn't know about him. So they don't send any money for support.
So yeah some do divorce for money. that's called alimony. Others divorce because they have to protect themselves or their children. And the ones that leave to protect their children, are entitled to some monies from the father. because the mother wasn't the only one that decided to jump into bed the night the child was concieved.
lucyfan3956

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumanji wrote:
Did your current boyfriend happen to mention why she left him? Did he mention what the money may be used for? There are alot of things that the person you are dating may not tell you. My wife never saw a dime from her x husband. Why? because he felt he didn't need to support their son. His girlfriend sounds alot like you. He's upset because he has no money cause his wife is taking it all. Maybe taken into account what the money is actually for might open your eyes

Yes, he did tell me what the break up was about and he admitted that a big part of it was his fault. And the money is to go to child support. Now whether that money is actually used for that when she gets it...well, that's negotiable. It may or it may not be used for it's intended purpose. (And whether or not she is actually his child...I have asked myself that and he has wondered the same thing but is afraid to find out.) I am not against him paying child support, though. Infact, I want him to pay child support and be involved in his daughter's life. Nothing would make me happier. But fifty percent of the paycheck? That's a bit much, especially considering he doesn't make that much. As it was at the time, fifty percent of his paycheck would leave him with about $300 to live on for the month. That's including paying the bills, rent, gas, and food. Rent alone costs about $145 and that's only because he has roommates. And especially considering that if my hunch is right, she's getting a lot of money from her parents and other agencies. And especially considering that she's the one who moved so far away, making it almost impossible for him to go and see their daughter. But am I all for him having to pay support and am I all for him having a good relationship with his daughter and at least a cordial relationship with his ex? Absolutely. And if I find myself getting in the way of that, I will remove myself from the picture.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Family All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: