Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

going to vs will

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marlen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: going to vs will Reply with quote

I'd really be very grateful if somebody could explain me why I can't use "going to- future" in the 2nd sentence.

A: So, tell me about this trip we're taking to Bath this Saturday. Will we have time to see all the important sights?

B: Oh, yes I think so. Just remember to bring your camera.

etc.

I thought that A is asking B about a plan that he made for the future and not simply asking what the other person guesses or thinks.

Thanks to anyone who is helping me to understand this structure.
dabro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: going to vs will Reply with quote

Marlen wrote:
I'd really be very grateful if somebody could explain me why I can't use "going to- future" in the 2nd sentence.

A: So, tell me about this trip we're taking to Bath this Saturday. Will we have time to see all the important sights?

B: Oh, yes I think so. Just remember to bring your camera.

etc.

I thought that A is asking B about a plan that he made for the future and not simply asking what the other person guesses or thinks.

Thanks to anyone who is helping me to understand this structure.

"Are we going to have time to see all the important sights?" is acceptable.

Peace,

David
NoLeafClover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most often, when you use "I am going to", you mean that there is some your intention about your future actions. For example, "I'm going to study" means you intend, you plan, you have decided to study. "I will study" is the mere statement of fact. Sometimes this rule does not apply, for example, "it's goint to rain". The rain does not have intention, but these are set expressions. Just keep in mind this connotation.

Also, "going to" is used in the nearest future. Very often we use it with "now". "Now, I'm going to study". "Tomorrow I'm going to" is also OK, but in your case, Saturday is not tomorrow, it will happen later. Therefore, meaning of nearest future does not apply here as well as meaning of intention. Because you can't intend to have time. You just have it or don't have. That is why "we will" is better suited here

Hope this helps Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: