Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Darwin's theory ..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  

what do you think about Darwin's theory
true
63%
 63%  [ 14 ]
not true
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 22

a_muslim_guy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Darwin's theory .. Reply with quote

hi every one ...

i think we took Darwin's theory in biology. what do you think about it ?
SonyeuNAnh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true
Soymilk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would get more responses if you explain what Darwin's Theory is.

Charles Darwin's Theory of Evolution.
christina_nguyen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution "In Darwin's 1859 book, The Origin of Species. Darwin and Wallace proposed that evolution occurs because a trait that increases an individual's chance of successfully reproducing will become more common, by inheritance, from one generation to the next, and likewise a trait that decreases an individual's chance of reproducing will become rarer."

I think that Darwin's Theory of Evolution is true because scientists have tested many generations of different organisms using their morphology, DNA, and RNA, and they have found that all organisms are related. Even though organisms today look different from their ancestors due to natural selection, they all come from the same common ancestor.

Just a few thoughts! Very Happy

--Christina
cionaro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is not logical at all to say Darwin's theory is true or not.
it a theory so let's be more rational. a theory is based on scientific observation and the sceintist's interpretation of these observation.

if you say it is correct, then you agree with the way of thinkin of the scientist, but if you say it is false you must suggest your interpretation (which must be logicaal and concise), or you must precise the point you don't agree with in the thinking of the researcher.

i am also a muslim person. but i am afraid we can not disagree with scientific facts with religious ones. let science be a sourse of unity between human beeings.
unless he has freedom
Malcolm X
acadman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Darwin's Theory Reply with quote

Darwin's principle of natural selection is a new kind of scientific theory, and one that is logically sound. The principle is composed of three parts: variation, selection, and reproduction.
(1) Variation. All individual organisms in a species vary slightly from one another. These variations are not directed, but are random. This is a matter of common observation. Darwin and Wallace were consumate observers, and knew that natural world very well.
(2) Selection. These differences may bestow slight advantages or disadvantages on the organisms that possess them in the struggle for existence with other organisms, with disease, and with the environment. Under changing conditions of existence, these differences tell quite strongly. Those organisms with slight advantages (say, in the ability to catch prey, avoid predators, weather harsh conditions of existence, or resist disease) will live longer and reproduce more. On the other hand, those with disadvantageous variations are ruthlessly eliminated.
(3) Reproduction. In the natural world, animals, plants, and microrganisms reproduce in great quantities, and the offspring have most of the characteristics of their parents, and some variations from their parents. However, not all the offspring survive in the struggle with other organisms and the environment. In the new generation, selection again picks over the fittest.
It follows from this process, that the only organisms that can endure and become abundant over time are those with characteristics that fit them well to their environment. Thus, we see that Darwin's principle is a kind of necessity; Nature is impelled to follow this path, has no choice in the matter. The wondrous adaptations and correlations we see in Nature are the outcome of necessity, and not the product of design. There are few theories in science as sound as this. So I vote 'True'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ClarissaMach

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that, for some people, admitting that the Darwin's theory is true means accepting that man came from apes, and therefore, was not created in God's image... it also means that creatures were not conceived the way they are now; instead, they went through an evolution process that shaped them the way they're now.
Mallaien

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I am not a creationist...

but remeber they are both "Theories" and that means that science still does not have full proof of either.

you cannot admit any science theory as true, because there is no proof for it to become a "law". like "the law of gravity" gravity is a law because its a proven fact. I think its silly to take a side on somthing that is still "imaginary" at this point.
Oh there are some bones and artifacts that put more belief to evolution, but scientits dont think they have enought evidence yet, to make it the "law". So I would side on the scientist, and say that there is more evidence that evolution may be a route, but im not fully convinced to go all the way.
Edoardo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it depends... Darwin's theory is not 100% right, as it doesn't explain everything about evolutionism: in fact, as Mallaien says, it's still just a theory. But it is the best we have now, as it is, nowadays, the most likely to be true. So... as long as this theory will satisfy science and our rationality, even it not fully, I'd say "Yes".
leila heidarvand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Darwin's theory .. Reply with quote

a_muslim_guy wrote:
hi every one ...

i think we took Darwin's theory in biology. what do you think about it ?

hi everybody
i know sth about Darwins theory he believes in evolution and in human history part the human evolution from monkeies &champanzes developing
it seems comletely true but if you notice to such evolution through the life history , you can find many approvval fossils &in some cases , some live historical creatures in pure ereas like australia ,these strange creatures are the ancesters of today usual creatures .it happens to monkeies &primitives but when it comes to human you can not find any kind of these missed rings. the distance between human &clever monkeis is so far &unbelievable that you cannt relate it to genetics mutation , additionally where are the missed ancesters why they arent alive like primitives??? Question i know that in Islamic notions it is believed that human is sth upper than other animals,he come from an infinit power who is called GOD
A_MUSLIM_GUY CONTACT ME [email protected]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
redset

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mallaien wrote:
First off I am not a creationist...

but remeber they are both "Theories" and that means that science still does not have full proof of either.

you cannot admit any science theory as true, because there is no proof for it to become a "law". like "the law of gravity" gravity is a law because its a proven fact. I think its silly to take a side on somthing that is still "imaginary" at this point.
Oh there are some bones and artifacts that put more belief to evolution, but scientits dont think they have enought evidence yet, to make it the "law". So I would side on the scientist, and say that there is more evidence that evolution may be a route, but im not fully convinced to go all the way.

No scientific theory can be proven though (and that includes the theory of gravity), all we can do is create theories which match observations and which predict future events and discoveries. This doesn't mean that scientific theories are not highly valuable, especially ones which have stood the test of time. The theory of evolution has massive amounts of evidence to support it, has overwhelming scientific consensus and is a cornerstone of modern biology.

If anyone's interested in this, Talk Origins is a great website for information on the subject. Some of the language might be a little advanced but it's a great resource to read about the theory and the debates surrounding it.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.

You forgot to give the choice "irrelevant"

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
I am Christian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neoteny(a Darwin cocept) is not a scientific concept.
My opinion is that some darwin concepts also can be understood
with experience, they doesn't need a lot of studies that have high costs...
chesel42

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am studying Science at university and this topic comes up often. Scientific theory can not be 100% proven, it can only be proven to be wrong. And so far there is more evidence to suggest that evolution is true, but there is are several huge pieces of information that go against it.

Darwin himself said that his idea was not meant to be taken and applied in a broad sense, yet it has been. Now a theory has been assumed to be fact and no other reasoning is thought to be true.

The more I learn about evolution and look into the evidence, the less I believe that it is true.

To follow evolution you need to believe many things that can not be explained. This is the same as creation, but for my part I am more inclined to believe creation than evolution.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chesel42 wrote:
The more I learn about evolution and look into the evidence, the less I believe that it is true.

To follow evolution you need to believe many things that can not be explained. This is the same as creation, but for my part I am more inclined to believe creation than evolution.

Then by your logic there must be more evidence for creation than evolution.

May I ask, what is the evidence for creation?

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Science All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: