Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Participle phrases.Mr doliver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Learner33

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Participle phrases.Mr doliver Reply with quote

I am having difficulty understanding the difference between past participle phrases (ed) and present passive participle phrasses(being+ed).
Are they same? can we use them interchangeably?e.g:
-Seen, the sniper dropped his gun.
-Being seen, the sniper dropped his gun.
Thank you Mr Dave
doliver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again, Learner33.

You wrote:

Quote:
I am having difficulty understanding the difference between past participle phrases (ed) and present passive participle phrases (being+ed).
Are they same? can we use them interchangeably? e.g:

-Seen, the sniper dropped his gun.
-Being seen, the sniper dropped his gun.

Comments:

What you have in the above examples is an -ed participial adjective (#1) and a present participial phrase (#2). They're not exactly the same, and they can't really be used interchangeably.

The first example suggests to me that someone saw the sniper first and then afterward the sniper dropped his gun. This sequence of events is not what is shown in the second example.

The second example could be restated as 'Because someone sees the sniper, he dropped his gun�which has a mismatch of times. To be the same as the first example, #2 should be "Having been seen, the sniper dropped his gun."

I hope this helps, Learner33.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

By the way, my name isn't Dave; instead, it's Dennis. You can call me Dennis or Mr. Oliver, but not Mr. Dennis (and not Mr. Dave).

Best wishes�

D. Oliver
http://www.emc.maricopa.edu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: