Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dangerous Cult recruiting foreigners in Korea
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Dangerous Cult recruiting foreigners in Korea Reply with quote

Hi,
I hope anyone interested in this will read this with an open mind, if you or someone you know is a member of this group, please please visit www.freedomofmind.com and www.factnet.org and learn more about how these groups operate.

Cuult's name:

Providence
International Christian Association.
Global Association of Culture And Peace (GAOCAP) (GACP) http://gacpusa.org

Leaders name: Jung, Myoung-seok aka JMS aka Joshua Jung, aka Joshua Lee Jung professes to be the second Messiah.
Age 58. Nationality Korean.
This cult is based in Korea and is seeking to grow internationally. It has members in Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, The Philipines, Singapore, Canada, USA, Germany, Italy, Australia, New Zealand that I know of and

From what I have witnessed myself and after speaking to members and former members I believe this group is a destructive mind controlling cult. The group uses most if not all of the mind control methods of the BITE model. And I also believe the group satisfies all the criteria of the "HOW TO DETERMINE IF A GROUP IS A DESTRUCTIVE CULT" article, see the links below for more information

http://www.freedomofmind.com/resourcecenter/articles/BITE.htm
http://www.factnet.org/rancho5.htm?FACTNet

This is a Korean website (in English) operated by a group hoping to destroy the cult: http://antijms.or.kr/~justally/frame.htm
According to the above site, the leaer was recently arrested in Hong Kong on Visa violations and the South Korean governnment is attempting to extradite him to face numerous tax and rape offences.

The cult has been in existence in one form or another since about 1980, and has undergone numerous name changed since then. Providence is the lastest name, and before that International Christian Association.

What they claim is new:
An evolution of the relationship between God and man/women.
In the old testiment the relationship between God and man was one of Master / Servent
In the new Testiment the relationship was that of Father / Son.

Providence now reveal that we have reached the next step in the evolution of our relationship with God. The relationship has now become that of equal lovers. The founder claims he is a Virgin.

The 30 lessons. A bible study course is undertaken by new recruits, 30 lessons are covered over a period of several months. Students are not ALLOWED to take the material home with them, nor are they allowed to read ahead. Towards the end of the 30 lessons, the student is asked something like, "So have you worked out who the new Messiah is???" the student then believes that they have come to the conclusion themselves that Jung Myung Seok is the new Messiah.

Cult events are very time consuming, every Sunday sermons conducted by the leader via live internet TV can last anywhere from 3- 7 hours. I have been told that around 50% of this sermon is about urging people not to leave the cult. Usually the members can't see the Messiah talking, but he can see them. When he does appear before his followers he usually wears a brilliant white suit and the members feel blessed that they have been present at his appearance.

Throughout late Spring / early Summer this year, daily morning services were held on weekdays.
Members would arrive around 4am and have a similar video session to Sundays. Followed by group praying. memebers encouraged to talk to themselves as they pray. I witnessed people crying, and uttering complete gibberish as they "prayed"

I attended an all night "festival" Singing and dancing in the evening. 11pm - 1am a sermon by the founders brother. 1:30 - 4:30am Performances by very talented musicians. Lots of dance performances by beautiful women followed.
Group praying was next, people talking out loud, crying speaking gibberish.

Members are not allowed to "date" either inside or outside the group. Once a member has completed the 3 lessons AND brought 3 new people into they group, they are ALLOWED to get married.

For members "allowed" to marry, an event is held where members can ask potential mates a few basic questions. Once they find a suitable partner, they appear before the leader who either grants or refuses their request to marry, based on what God tells him. I know one girl who met her husband on 4 brief occassions before marrying him. A group wedding is held for the lucky couples, no family members welcome.

I know of members who I believe are kept financially dependent on the group. Some hold no jobs, others part time jobs.

Various extracts from the leaeder's sermons: In no particular order.

Lady Di (Princess Diana) was killed by God because she slept with a Muslim.
JFK was killed by God, because he offended God...(I forget the exact reason given)
The Sars virus was released by God to show people to live cleaner lives.
Adolf Hitler was doing Gods will by killing the jews. Revenge for Jesus' death on the cross.

God's idea of a perfect women is a tall women with long hair.

What good is a tall and beautiful women if she doesn't have any money??

Please recruit more handsome men

a 20 minute talk on the evils of eyebrow plucking.

I used to heal people but I don't do it anymore because God told me to stop. (He speaks to God daily)

Sometimes our members stray from the true path. Sometimes I send people to watch them, when I discover that some members hadn't staryed from the True path after all, it pleases me greatly.

Thankyou for reading.
BakaGaijin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spamming the forum sharon?

I'm Kevin Tillman.
Japanese Exchange and Teaching ALT
Sharon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spamming??? no Ijust wanted to post it in a few places where people would read it, could be considered scamming...I don't really know
BakaGaijin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Laughing

I'm Kevin Tillman.
Sharon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok maybe chotto spamming, but well I stayed clear of topis like computers and music etc, I was hoping to find some kind of "life in korea" forum, and when I didn't see anything like that here I posted in a few places,
anyway friday night gotto chill
BakaGaijin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPAM SPAM Rolling Eyes

I'm Kevin Tillman.
Sharon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize that posting a topic in a few diff places was a nono,
My apologies if that annoyed the moderators,
won't happen again,
Sharon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BakaGaijin,

Just curious, would you be interested in reading about my experince with the cult I wrote about????
trust me I have very good reasons for wanting to warn people about this cult in particular,
If you are drop me an email at [email protected]

I have quite a story to tell if you have 5 minutes to read it,
if you aren't interested thats cool of course,
BakaGaijin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but no. I'm not really interested in it. I have no fear that someone will turn me from my religion. There's no chance. AND Korea is not my target country. I'm headed for Japan and I'm not really worried about any so-called "cults" trying to recruit me. Someone like that comes up to me, I'd likely smile then hand them a Bible and walk off and let them decide. lol Razz Hey. It's their life. Let them do what they want with it. Rolling Eyes

I'm Kevin Tillman.
Sharon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, all the best in Japan,
Hey I'm 100% for letting people believe what they want, really,
But the above group and many like it use deceipt / lies, emotional blackmail, and very effective and proven mind control techniques that actually take away a persons ability to make a rationally informed decisions. They destroy lives and tear families apart.

Ok!! finished!! have fun in osaka, great city!!
Corey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No triple posting please -

Thanks,

Corey
BakaGaijin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh... Wouldn't a triple post be like;

Sharon- Blah Blah
Sharon- Blah Blah
Sharon- Blah Blah

lol

I'm Kevin Tillman.
Corey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it easy.
BakaGaijin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry.

I'm Kevin Tillman.
Sharon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can kind of see how some people might view my original post as blah, blah, before my friend got involved in the above cult maybe I would have reacted the same way.

Just consider this,
The Sarin gas attack in Tokyo in 1995 was carried out by a group with almost identical hierarchy structure to the group I outlined above.
ie the leader is The Messiah / or some kind of super guru whose doctrine and decisions can never be questioned.
Both groups use proven and effective mind control techniques.

And other cults have induced group suicides amongst its followers.
(yeah you might say its no loss that a bunch of loonies killed themesleves, and yes i kind of agree, but think about the families"

Well the GACP / providence Church hasn't attacked any subway, so far all the allegations are merely of rape.
And the GACP leader did say in a speech to his followers something like,
"I deplore violence of any kind, but my followers can only put up with so much, if someone is causing you trouble, say to them Stop or I'll kill you"

And I have heard reports of his followers attcking reporters and cult activists with knives.

This may sound like blah blah blh to some, and thats great because it means you and your friends and family haven't come into contact with these kind of groups, I hope that continues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: