Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conflict with Iraq

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chi-kei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Conflict with Iraq Reply with quote

do you agree usa war with Iraq?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: A Decision Of The New Roman Empire Reply with quote

Personally no, even if Hussein is an awful dictator. Another war to curb the oil fields is useless for many countries except for the US and perhaps some new perspectives ahead for the oil industry even from my own country. In all this affair we can kill two birds at once, for instance, by helping the Kurds in the Northren side of this country which is a free one and that could open a kind of democratization in Turkey (it will be an economical release for them), Syria and of course Irak. For Saddam, a few million bucks on his head like Ben Laden would be enough. That's only the price of a few tomahawks......
Diana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting a million dollars reward on Saddam's head sounds like a good idea; unfortunately, it will not work. It certainly didn't work in Bin Laden's case. Many Arabs view Bin Laden as a hero (Never mind the fact that he praised the deaths of more than 3000 innocent people in the 911 attacks).

I remember reading the news about the Pakistani man who was executed by the U.S. for killing two American CIA agents. Many people in Pakistan protested his execution and called him a martyr (Never the fact that he killed Americans). Right now, there are many Arabs in the streets supporting Saddam for standing up to the United States (Never mind the fact that Saddam is a brutal dictator).
Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: No More Heroes Reply with quote

Hi Diana

yeah, you are certainly right for the "Antichrist" but not for Saddam. We know that at least that one is alive and it's not sure for the second. When he made an announcement after the last attacks of Al-Qaida by the way of Al-Jazzera TV, I saw an enquiry made by the French TV who's made analyze his voice by a free laboratory in Switzerland and apparently he wasn't recognized compared with some serious materials previously recorded. Maybe, he has died under the American bombs or it is still possible that he is hidden with the help of many accomplices in the Pakistani tribal zones to set up again some serious strikes from there.

For Hussein, I 've heard some people even among the American officials who were ready to let him go. That's absolutely immoral. With this kind of thoughts all the "Baby Docs" of the world could sleep in peace. If this man is arrested one day he must be judged like all criminals. A real threat for all dictators around the world: a new Nuremberg trial to get rid of them. No to me, you�ve got to use the opposition of the interior and surely he will finish like Mussolini hung by his legs under the spits of his dear people. There is always a sort of general Rommel to achieve it. If the American and British air forces smite him it's sure you gonna win. But when you'll be on the ground especially in big cities, are you ready to win this war houses by houses, streets by streets, towns by towns. Even during the World War II, you used the nuclear bombs to avoid too many casualties whether you had had to land on the main islands of Japan.

Just to think about it:

"So powerful the army you can have, one always need of the inhabitants' favor to enter in a province".

The Prince / Nicolas Machiavel

Last edited by Chris on Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Diana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Saddam Hussein. Reply with quote

Hi Chris,
I have been reading a lot of books on terrorism and Saddam Hussein and many others that doesn't even relate to terrorism. (It's amazing how many books I can read and other things I can do simply because I had no electricity at the time.) At any rate, I was enormously shocked when I read about what Saddam did to his own people . Saddam's regime crushed the feet of a 2 year old little girl to force her mother to tell where the father is located. Saddam's regime gouged the eyes of children in front of their parents and grandparents just to get them to talk. My question to the United States, to the United Nations, and everyone else in the world is "What kind of human beings are we to stand aside for 12 years and allowed these things to take place?" We call Saddam a monster? And what have the United Nations been calling themselves as they stood aside and did nothing? I already know what kind of human being Saddam is. But what kind of human beings are we who did nothing? Saddam should have been taken out a long time ago in 1991.
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Saddam the monster Reply with quote

Everybody in this case has played with fire. We sold him plenty of weapons especially the French in the 70's and during the war against Iran. Hence, Irak was only a simple market only to satisfy the ambitions of that monster in the region and America has also done the same.
When you do business, you know, the human rights are only a few words on a light sheet of paper.

Last edited by Chris on Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:15 am; edited 2 times in total
pugachevV

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: politics Reply with quote

Politics is such a dirty business that today's friend can literally be tomorrow's enemy. France, America and all the others who sold arms to Iraq did not forsee that they would one day be pointing at them. France did not think that Argentina would be using its Exocets against British ships.
Arms sales constitute a vast and profitable market around the world and no arms producing nation wants to give up that kind of money. You could probably say that it's dirtier money than the money made from selling drugs. Nobody is forced to do drugs but many are forced to take a bullet.
Diana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: World Interest. Reply with quote

It just goes to show that every single country in this world is only after their own interest. Even the United Nations is not doing their job. Human rights doesn't seem very important to the UN at all.
someone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi everybody ,

in my opinion the war isnot alwys the best to deal with people , in many cases ,it is uesless way because its astrong way to kill people , make the children homeless ,,
so , the pace is the most important thing in people lives in everywhere,,
but unfortunately ,there are some wars in some places .for example ,what do u think about the terrible things that happen in palstain
did u agree with it ???
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Diana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone wrote:

so , the pace is the most important thing in people lives in everywhere,,
but unfortunately ,there are some wars in some places .for example ,what do u think about the terrible things that happen in palstain
did u agree with it ???

I agree that peace is the most important to people. This is why both the Palestinians and Israel must go back to the Oslo Accords. They must return to the peace talks, and the Oslo Accords is the place to start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: