Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

internet and learning english

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Computers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: internet and learning english Reply with quote

hey everybody
what is your opinion
what kind of benefit that we can get if we use internet to learn english
how its work?
well
how about long range learning through internet
chat to anyone around the world
exchange information among them
i think learning english in this way is one of a good way
maybe its cant improve our speak but at least we can learn how to write in english
so guys....
I NEED YOUR OPINON
thanx
Sui Lan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: good discussion Reply with quote

in my opinion, learning English language through internet is an effective way for us to become a good learner. as long as you make use of the webside that already have in the internet. beside that, we also can make a discusion with other people around the world about English language learning. by this way, we can share our opinion with them and also can give our views about English language learning. morover, we also have a chance to practice the four skills of English language learning. how about your opinion regarding to this topic of discussion? hope we can learn so,ething from each other and hope to hear your views as soon as possible.....Gambateh....strive to success.
liaozhihai-029

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: so interesting,I'm learning English now! Reply with quote

If I don't log in this site, I will not touch any English book these days.
gt_113youxiang

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: i agree Reply with quote

i'm fond of using computer, and i think that computer can arose my interest of learning english. in addition, internet can open us another window to see the world.
angelwing

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't learn proper English through just the internet, you'll want basic learning in structure and grammar, then use English to exercise it and pick up colloquialisms and other things you can't get from reading a book. But if you tried to learn English through the internet only, you'd pick up a lot of mistakes and improper language.

Norm
DamianGriff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: It depends which service you use... Reply with quote

I have started a new website called www.linguagum.com (LINGUAGUM). It's free, and it works like this:

1: Choose a category.
2: Sign up.
3: Check your email for a message from FEEDBURNER (maybe in spam folder.)
4: Activate feedburner.
5. We will send you an mp3 audio file every day in your email complete with language and grammar notes - free.
6. You practise your pronunciation and learn new vocab every day.
7. Save it to your mp3 player and practise it on the bus.
8. That's it! It's easy and effective... your English will improve much, much faster if you use LINGUAGUM.

Check us out - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain! WWW.LINGUAGUM.COM

Don't forget to contact me if you have any questions about it. Good luck!

Damian
crania

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angelwing wrote:
You can't learn proper English through just the internet, you'll want basic learning in structure and grammar, then use English to exercise it and pick up colloquialisms and other things you can't get from reading a book. But if you tried to learn English through the internet only, you'd pick up a lot of mistakes and improper language.

Norm

Yes , I agree with u . Razz
sssallylane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'd advise learning proper English through the internet. What you need if you want to learn English is some good, solid classroom instruction or a face-to-face lesson with an English tutor. In the BPO industry, for instance, employees are trained to speak proper English in a classroom setting and not over the internet. This will ensure that you are focused on your lessons, I don't need to tell you that the internet has too many distractions.
jumbonaut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Nothing can replace a classroom experience Reply with quote

It's true that nothing can replace what can be learned in a classroom. But there are many useful tools on the Internet. I'm working on a lot of flashcards for new English users right now. I would never say that they would "teach" you English, but they would be a good supplement to a course.
snollygoster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Internet Reply with quote

I teach English by Internet all the time- Students can use skype to share text and pictures, as well as speak and listen.
Its simply not true that Internet can not be used effectively to learn a language. I teach IELTS and Business English to students in Russia, and they have performed very well.
We can download exercises and homework, and work together on corrections, just like in a one to one tutoring session.
So I do not agree that the internet is not a successful way of learning a language. It gives the advantage that the student does not have to attend a class. The student can study from home at times that suit the student and the teacher.
A good on-line teacher is well organized and knows how to use the tools, and usually has developed suitable material that the student can learn with very quickly.
I say "Hurrah for on line study!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Computers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: