Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Good Books to Read

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A.K.A.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Some Good Books to Read Reply with quote

What are some new hot books? No smut, extreme expletives, something factual yet fictional.

I found Elmor Leonard's book 'Toshimingo Blues' pretty good, Nick Hornby's book 'How to be Good' even better, and am now reading 'Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.' But need more inspiration.
Annalise

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a bookshop and see all the new stuff that comes out... an enviable job, I know!

This weekend I read a new book by Alissa Quart, called Branded: The Buying and Selling of Teenagers. It's probably what you'd call popular social science - all about marketing towards kids and teenagers and how far it's gone. Easy to read, with some pretty shocking revelations.

Two new Australian books which have been selling well are The Bride Stripped Bare by Anonymous (aka Nikki Gemmell) and My Life as a Fake by Peter Carey. I haven't read either, but they're the hot new titles.

A book coming out next month, which I've read an uncorrected proof copy of, is Seven Types of Ambiguity by Elliot Perlman. It's brilliant. If you buy one book this year, make it this one.

If you can get hold of any books by English author Barbara Trapido, I thoroughly recommend all of them.

Nick Earls writes in a similar style to Nick Hornby, but with younger characters. I've read one of his - 48 Shades of Brown, and that was quite good. Ben Elton is another author who's work might appeal if you liked How To Be Good

Very Happy For those of you learning English, there's an imprint written for young adults/adults with limited English skills. It's called "Headlights" The books are shorter than most novels, and the language in them is more simple, but the topics are relevant to adults and teenagers, rather than kids, so you don't get bored by reading about how good recess was, or Mary's red balloon. Find out more at http://www.languagebooks.com.au/categories/01/01/14/

Good luck with the books!
shinji maekawa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: I read "Jane Eyre" Reply with quote

I read "Jane Eyre"which is bery sad story.
Heroine is Jane Eyre. She was born at poor house. Her parents were dead when she was still baby, so she lived in her aunt's house. She was bullied, so she moved to poor school. She worked as a teacher. It was good life for her. But Mr Rochester was already marryed with other woman.She was horrifyed, so she moved to a place where she didn't know with no money. She was saved by a man. She started to live a life with him and his sisters. It was good days for her, But she couldn't forget Mr Rochester, so she went back to the poor school. but the school was burned because of his wife's incendiarism.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: