Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Life of the Earth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: The Life of the Earth Reply with quote

It is said that the earth still has billions of years to go. However, do you think some accidents will happen that destroy our planet? such as asteroid?
BoudBoulMan

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think an asteroid can destroy the whole planet but this could destroy all lifes on Earth and this could occur in the billions years left. But I think there are less chance that we die by an asteroid than by ourself.

Do you see how we use the resources of the Earth? I think we'll be destroyed by this much before an asteroid fall in the Earth.
guiguijoy

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Life of the Earth Reply with quote

I think if the earth would be destroyed one day, it must be destroyed by ourselves .:cry:If we continue to make pollutions to our planet,we'll definitely get the revenge from the environment Exclamation
sidrao

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scientists are trying to detect these asteroids before they even reach the earth's orbit. If an asteroid approaches the earth, space organisations will send space crafts with nuclear warheads, towards the asteroid and it will destroy the asteroid.

No War.
josem

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Joshua, Laughing

I don't think the earth, as a planet, could disappear. But, we are making our best effort to erase the life on it by uncaring the nature, by polluting everything: soil, water, air and by killing the different types of animals around all the continents.

I'd wish people could realize how rich and fair is our planet and would make one thing every day to save it, for example: Avoiding to expend more water than necessary when taking bath: avoiding to throw papers, acids and I don't know what else through the toilet. And the other unfair things we all use to do.

Razz
angelwing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the short term, we will destroy life on the Earth; this is already happening. It's a mass extinction, and scientists predict that within 100 years, half of all the species of creatures on this earth will be extinct because of us. However, even if 90% of the life on Earth is destroyed, in time it will grow back; it's happened before and it'll happen again.

In the long run, however, the Earth will be destroyed; the sun is a star, and all stars die eventually. The sun is predicted to turn into a red giant within a few hundred millions of years, and swallow up the Earth as well as Mars. That's the end of the world.

Norm
And I listen to the music
Beautiful music
Yes I listen to the music
Beautiful music"
19thThinker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the humankind will destroy itself in the long run, but the earth will survive and recover from the damages we have caused. There have been mass extinctions before, but somehow the fauna has been able to recur. We can't continue living like this, consuming all the time. At some point this has to stop. Weather it's the war over clean drinking water or someting else like that. The gap between the haves and the have nots is too big, so if you want to use your shower, don't wish that the poor people in Africa can have showers too. That's the rotten side of the world Sad Confused
there's never enough for everyone, coz we don't seem to be able to share things. The History will repeat itself Exclamation
angelwing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think society will ever recover. We'll just overuse until we destroy ourselves and nearly everything else on this Earth. Then it'll all recover by itself.

The Earth needs this; it keeps itself healthy.

Norm
And I listen to the music
Beautiful music
Yes I listen to the music
Beautiful music"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Science All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: