Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

please make my article more fluent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daisy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: please make my article more fluent Reply with quote

Compared to the old generation, now teenagers are living in the modern and technological society. Watching TV is going without saying to be the most way spending their spare time. Recently, a survey has been made showing that each week teenagers spend fourteen hours watching television programs, but only six hours communicating with their family members. Therefore, it becomes a hot topic nowadays that whether teenagers spend too much time on watching TV will influence the relationship between them and their family members or not. As to me, I confirm this will be not beneficial to the relationship.

First of all, spending too much time watching television programs certainly will result in the alienation between teenagers and their family members, which will influence, in a large degree, the relationship between teenagers and their family members, for the harmonic relationship depend on more communicating. And the fine atmosphere in family can help teenagers grow up with healthy mind, which need to be made by each member, of course including teenagers.

Moreover, teenagers are not so mature that they can consider the problem at the right position. So they need more time to communicate with their parents or other family members. This way, they will receive the best methods to deal with the problems encountering in their lives. Last but not at least, from the opposition, the parents prefer to talk with their children, they as well need get happiness from their son or daughter to relax their nervous or poor mood from work. By the way, they will well learn their hobbies and everyday mood, so that they can timely avoid the teenagers falling into the crime.

To sum up, I think that teenagers should spend more time communicating with their family members instead of watching TV. In that way, they will learn more things from their parents or other family members than from watching TV. The happiness and harmonization of family needs to be practised by everyone in family.
advoca

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I make some comments

1. You are confusing compared to and compared with. When you compare something to, you are likening it to something. A boy could say to his girlfriend, I compare you to a rose, you are so beautiful. But when you use �compare with� you want contrast two things. For example: �Compared with learning English, Chinese is easy.�

2. You are talking about teenagers living today and the old generation. They are different things. You should either say �compared with the old generation the modern generation is different,� or �compared with life in the old days, living in today�s world is more exciting,� or something like that.

3. It would be better to say, �It goes without saying that watching TV is the most way that teenagers spend their spare time.�

4. Recently, a survey has been made... No! Recently, a survey was made�

5. family members. No! Just family.

6. It is a hot topic nowadays (not becomes a hot topic).

7. �that whether.� No! Simply, �whether.�

8. too much time on watching TV� No! Simply too much time watching TV...

9. Oops! Family members again! Just family. No need for members (See 14 below for the correct way of referring to family members.)

10. As to me, I confirm this will be not beneficial to the relationship. This is a clumsy sentence. You cannot confirm this. And �as to me� is not English. A better phraseology would be, �In my view, this will not be beneficial to the family relationship.�

11. �First of all, spending too much time watching television programs certainly will result in the alienation between teenagers and their family members.� This is a very strong statement! Are you really certain? There might be alienation, and it even might be probable alienation, but it is hardly likely to be certain.

12. �First of all, spending too much time watching television programs certainly will result in the alienation between teenagers and their family members, which will influence, in a large degree, the relationship between teenagers and their family members, for the harmonic relationship depend on more communicating.�
Ooh! What a long sentence! Break it up. �First of all, spending too much time watching television will result in the alienation between teenagers and their family. This is because the harmonic relationship depends on good communications.�

13. �And the fine atmosphere in family can help teenagers grow up with healthy mind, which need to be made by each member, of course including teenagers.� This is also a clumsy sentence. Consider, �And a fine atmosphere in a family can help teenagers grow up with a healthy mind, which is required by all in the family.�

14. �Moreover, teenagers are not so mature that they can consider the problem at the right position. So they need more time to communicate with their parents or other family members. This way, they will receive the best methods to deal with the problems encountering in their lives.�
Again, rather clumsy. Try not to be so specific. You could say many teenagers are like this, or even most teenagers are like it, but not all teenagers are immature. Let me redraft the paragraph. �Moreover, most teenagers are not mature enough to be able to consider their problems from the right point of view. So they need more time to communicate with their parents or other family members. This way, they can receive the best advice on how to deal with the problems they encounter in their lives.�

15. Last but not at least, from the opposition, the parents prefer to talk with their children, they as well need get happiness from their son or daughter to relax their nervous or poor mood from work.�
Again very clumsy. And note that you are now starting on a new idea. Therefore you need a new paragraph. And there are several ideas her too, that seem to have got mixed up. Which one is the last? Consider this re-write: �Last, but not at least, parents prefer to talk with their children. They need get to get happiness from their son or daughter. They need to help them to relax and wipe out any nervousness or poor mood resulting from their work.

16. Finally, I must point out to you that the problem of communication between teenagers and their parents or other members of their family, is not simply dependent on the time available. Even if teenagers never watch TV it is still possible that they are not able to communicate. The real need is to learn how to communicate, not simply to provide time to communicate.

I hope this helps.

Advoca

PS.
I have made many corrections, but do not be dismayed. I think you wrote a very good essay. Congratulations on a fine effort. Well done.
Diana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: please make my article more fluent Reply with quote

Daisy wrote:
Compared to the old generation, now teenagers are living in the modern and technological society. Watching TV is going without saying to be the most way spending their spare time. Recently, a survey has been made showing that each week teenagers spend fourteen hours watching television programs, but only six hours communicating with their family members. Therefore, it becomes a hot topic nowadays that whether teenagers spend too much time on watching TV will influence the relationship between them and their family members or not. As to me, I confirm this will be not beneficial to the relationship.

First of all, spending too much time watching television programs certainly will result in the alienation between teenagers and their family members, which will influence, in a large degree, the relationship between teenagers and their family members, for the harmonic relationship depend on more communicating. And the fine atmosphere in family can help teenagers grow up with healthy mind, which need to be made by each member, of course including teenagers.

Moreover, teenagers are not so mature that they can consider the problem at the right position. So they need more time to communicate with their parents or other family members. This way, they will receive the best methods to deal with the problems encountering in their lives. Last but not at least, from the opposition, the parents prefer to talk with their children, they as well need get happiness from their son or daughter to relax their nervous or poor mood from work. By the way, they will well learn their hobbies and everyday mood, so that they can timely avoid the teenagers falling into the crime.

To sum up, I think that teenagers should spend more time communicating with their family members instead of watching TV. In that way, they will learn more things from their parents or other family members than from watching TV. The happiness and harmonization of family needs to be practised by everyone in family.

Hello Daisy,
Advoca gave some helpful hints. Since your essay is about watching TV and family relationship, then it is best to stick to that subject. You could also rewrite your essay in the following way:

Teenagers today spend most of their spare time watching TV. According to a recent survey, most teenagers spend fourteen hours a week watching television programs and only six hours communicating with their family. This issue has also become a very popular topic of discussion among people. In my opinion, I think that watching too much television will result in spending less quality time with family.

First of all, teenagers who spend more time in front of a TV and less time communicating with their family will not be able to form close relationships with them. It is important for teenagers to communicate with their family so they can grow up to be healthy individuals who are capable of interacting with other people.

Secondly, some teenagers who experience problems in their lives may need more time to form closer relationships with their family. These teenagers would need to learn better methods of communication and in dealing with the problems they encounter in their lives.

Finally, parents who communicate with their kids eventually learn more about their hobbies and interests. They will also develop a very close relationship with their children, and they will be able to help their kids when a problem arises. Children who develop close relationships with their parents also learn to trust their parents and tend to turn to them when they need help.

In conclusion, I think teenagers should spend less time watching TV and spend more quality time with their family. In this way, teenagers will learn more about their family and develop close ties with them.

I hope this helps, Daisy. Also, I think it will help if you describe the problem more by giving some specific examples.

Best regards,
Diana
Daisy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, advaco and diana

Thank you for your helpful hints, I have read your suggestions word by word and learn a lot from them. I will make great efforts continuously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: