Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asia diplomacy The existence of Japan is not felt&#1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Asia diplomacy The existence of Japan is not felt&#1 Reply with quote

Asia diplomacy The existence of Japan is not felt  Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

The image of Asia in 21st century was depicted in Bali island in Indonesia. There are 30 billion people in China and Indo and east-south asia between them. The agreement was made in order to build up the new regional framework of Asia with growth potential and go forward. This is the most important point of the ASEAN which just came to an end.

But in the Asia Japan is not included. Although Japan was not excluded but invited to participated in it, Prim minister Koizumi hesitated.

Leaders of China and India are in rivalry to each other but showed their existence intending to become a leader of Great Asia in ASEAN summit. But Mr.Koizumi left the circle of Asian countries and didn't choose the position of family of Asia but the position of "guest".

China andIndia signed on the TAC( Treaty of South Western Asian Cooperation). TAC includes ASEAN10 and Papanewguinia. Now China and India participated in it. This means that the framework of Great Asian Area was made.

This is like that the big communities of China and India participated in the small and quiet circle of South Eastern Asia and the circle came to have greater influential voice. TAC defines the framework of cooperation between nations. But what is important is that the difference between family and outsider was made. It will become an unexpected barrier when asian countries including Japan are forming economical relationships such as FTA talks.

If China or India can get a position of "big brother" in asia, it can get higher international position. China, which has deepen its relationship with ASEAN rapidly, made an agreement of comprehensive framework of economic cooperation last year, and made a statement of "the strategic partnership for peace and prosperity" this year. India made a same kind of agreement of framework of economic cooperation.

Is there any reason why Japan keeps distance from other asian countries? At first,"The Great Asia" which ASEAN planed had three-polars structure including Japan which has deep economic relationship, China which has remarkable potential of economic growth and ASEAN. Afterward India has joined in it. The structure excluding Japan is unnatural. But Japan didn't join in TAC because it considered its relation with US.

It at first was then Japanese prime ministers who could bring the leaders of China and South Korea into ASEAN summit. Now where is the diplomatic strategy of Japan for asia? Mr.Koizumi is supposed to have no diplomatic strategy and philosophy over entire Asia. Japan's existence in Asia has waned. Is this OK ?

Mr.Koizumi is going to hold a special summit of Japan and ASEAN in Tokyo on December. Although Japan is going to invite all ASEAN leaders, they are not family but guests for Japan. Japan goes behind China and India by far on the diplomacy of Asia.
ecc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since 1868 reform in japanese history ,japan had been trying to escape the "savage" aisa and gain membership of the"civilized" west .as a result ,japan realized the goal and now is one of summit7.in my opinion ,japanese have nothing to complain about .
SN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

there is nothing to complain about???

my opinion is that Japan should stop being pro-US through and through.
instead Japan should make utmost efforts to go into the circle of Asia from scratch.
Corey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I think the policy of Japan is changing and the country is becoming more involved in world affairs. I also think this is good.

Second, I don't think Japan is "through and through" American. In world affairs it is true the Japanese tend to follow the US lead, but in other areas it seems different. For example US marines in Okinawa.

Many ESL teachers working in Japan also tell me that it is still a very closed society for foreigners (Gaijin). Sevearl teachers have told me that little children are afraid of them on buses of subways and even start to cry. The point is, I think Japan is still a very different country.

Corey
SN

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Quastion Reply with quote

Corey, would you please explain why "US marine in okinawa" is an example that japan doesnt follow the US lead?

And i'm afraid japanese people aren't used to seeing people from other countries, except for from other asian countries. That one reason why japanese are so curious or afraid of them. So i don't want to say that Japan is a different country. Just Japan is an "rural" country.

Corey wrote:
First, I think the policy of Japan is changing and the country is becoming more involved in world affairs. I also think this is good.

Second, I don't think Japan is "through and through" American. In world affairs it is true the Japanese tend to follow the US lead, but in other areas it seems different. For example US marines in Okinawa.

Many ESL teachers working in Japan also tell me that it is still a very closed society for foreigners (Gaijin). Sevearl teachers have told me that little children are afraid of them on buses of subways and even start to cry. The point is, I think Japan is still a very different country.

Corey
Corey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant by US marines in Okinawa is that the US government what to continue with the military base there but I remember seeing protests by local Japanese to reduce numbers or eliminate the base.

I would not say that Japan is a rural country either. I think most of the population lives in large cities.

Take care,

Corey
SN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: RE Reply with quote

Right, mony Okinawa local people are against the US militali force in Okinawa. But it has nothing to do with the central government's intention.
And other people ,except for Okinawa people, dont think US militaly force should be eliminated from Japan.

By "rural area", I wanted to say that people in Japan are not used to communicating with "stranger" who live in different paradigm. In rural area, people share their way of thinking, communication way and topics.
And they try to remove "stranger". This can be applied to Japan.

Corey wrote:
What I meant by US marines in Okinawa is that the US government what to continue with the military base there but I remember seeing protests by local Japanese to reduce numbers or eliminate the base.

I would not say that Japan is a rural country either. I think most of the population lives in large cities.

Take care,

Corey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: