Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to learn English language
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calidude

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already posted this information but Philo suggested that I repost this here...

I'm wondering what books people around here used to learn English grammer, get rid of their accents, etc.... I have some recommendations below...

1. Webster's New World English Grammar Handbook - A great grammar book with all the rules and everything else you need to know about English grammar. More Info Here

2. English Grammar In Use - That's the book i started learning English with. It's pretty simple. There's always a page with grammar rules and immediately after that you have a page with exercises. However, the book uses British English so it may not be the best for everybody.
More Info Here

3. Eliminate Your Accent - A great and short, but very effective ebook on how to lose your accent. Very simple exercises that have helped me tremendously in losing my accent. Unfortunately it's only available as an ebook through the website below.
Website+More Info

Of course, I used other book too, but i think those three have had the biggest impact. Now, after years of studying I've now reached the point where native English speakers can't even tell that English isn't my first language, so it all worked out great Very Happy
sunshine2308

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most difficult skill is listening. I can listen and understand some short talks but I can't make heads or tails of lectures or long discussions.
What can I do?
ClarissaMach

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my tip is watching American and British movies and TV shows as much as possible.

Try also to watch more complex TV programs, like the ones presented by the Discovery Channel.

My piece of advice: don't worry about the things you don't understand, concentrate on the things you do understand. Simply get used to the English language.

Relax and let the unconscious part of your mind do the hard work for you. I mean, sometimes the right words simply come to my mouth (and to my fingers, when I'm typing!) without effort. I guess it's because I try to be exposed to the language as much as I can, be it watching TV or reading books.

And, most important: a language is not some kind of mechanic tool. Learning how to speak English is entirely different form learning how to use Word or Excel... the language is something alive, in which rules come by usage. So, the best way to learn it is by using it, not memorizing rules from a grammar book.

Above all, studying a language is studying an entire culture.
RedRose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClarissaMach wrote:
Well, my tip is watching American and British movies and TV shows as much as possible.

That's exactly what my online english teacher----a Catalan girl taught me. I tried it, and it definitely worked well!
emile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the most difficult skill is listening. I can listen and understand some short talks but I can't make heads or tails of lectures or long discussions.
What can I do?

My tip is that when you listen on your own for practise, you should always try to listen twice. Once for the main ideas and a second time to fill in the details.

Professional lecturers will structure their talks so that you can follow easily, by mentioning how many points or by using acronyms (e.g. KISS= Keep it simple, stupid). Listen out for these cues.

my site: www.roadtogrammar.com
RedRose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emile wrote:

My tip is that when you listen on your own for practise, you should always try to listen twice. Once for the main ideas and a second time to fill in the details.

Professional lecturers will structure their talks so that you can follow easily, by mentioning how many points or by using acronyms (e.g. KISS= Keep it simple, stupid). Listen out for these cues.

Do we have to read the speech sheet when we listen to some english redio? and do we need to read the script first before we watch an English movie?

Thanks in advance
ClarissaMach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About listening problems.

Try to do this very simple exercise:

1) Go to the BBC radio website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio);

2) Choose programs which themes deeply interest you (in my case, the science programs);

3) Put you headphones on;

4) Listen to the program and try to get the main idea. Listen again and again. Do it at least once in a week, choosing different programs. Don't forget to read the synthesis of the show before listening to it. [/b]
lexy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: sounds good Reply with quote

Hi Helina.Liu & everybody
I learn English in my middle school
Many teacher in there
Korean teachers are talking english very well
And Foreihgner teachers are very kind
I like them
I think English is international language
Many people speak English
And in Korea people like English too
English is very easy
ANd I love them
Landy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

I am an English learner and interested in this topic very much. I like searching information of how to learn English effectively.

I think if a learner can understand the meaning of the method, in other words, why he is studying in the way, he can study confidently and therefore improve his skills more effectively. So understanding of the way to learn is important for learners.

For example, the more you enjoy learning, The more you can learn English effectively. The reason why is that your brain is working actively when you are enjoying.

I like this board and this topic.
Let's do our best!

Thank you.
charless16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Ellie's English Reply with quote

Take a look at a new website www.elliesenglish.com. There are unusual audio products to download (with text), a weekly diary to read and a letters page. Because the site is so new Ellie's English is looking for suggestions from ESL students. If there is something you need please let us know and we will produce it if possible.

Also, Ellie's English is looking for four or five students to write a regular blog. The blog will be posted on the site and Ellie will, if you wish, help you to formulate your ideas clearly before posting.

Details are on the website.
Very Happy
free electron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Make friends with anbody all over the word! Reply with quote

Very Happy
Introduce myself to everyone first: i am a teacher working in a normal college in Jiangsu Province ,China. I like doing sports, especially the basketball and the table tennis. Musics also play a important role in my life .
I was very interested in english, and have passed CET6(Chinese English Test 6) in college.However my spoken English very poor as I dare to say english with anybody,for i am afraid of the mistakes .
After i graduate from school, i hardly say english in my work. I am afraid i will forget all the knowledge of english studied in the college.Fortunately,I find the eslcafe, with the help of you I want to improve my english in the forum .I need your help. Wish somebody can give me some advice on how to make progress in my spoken english. Thank you! Very Happy
free electron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: sounds good Reply with quote

lexy wrote:
Hi Helina.Liu & everybody
I learn English in my middle school
Many teacher in there
Korean teachers are talking english very well
And Foreihgner teachers are very kind
I like them
I think English is international language
Many people speak English
And in Korea people like English too
English is very easy
ANd I love them

HI! Are you studying in Korean ? I plan to read the Master diploma in korean, but i should pass the IELTS first. It is said that spoken english is very important in IELTS exam. To an extend ,I have some problems in spoken english. Can you give me some advice from the bottom of youor heart. Thank you !
拈花&

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,I am a college student. Since graduated from the senior school, my English almost disappear in my life.Although I must study it in the class,I learn it only for passing the exam. As a result,my English is getting worse and worse,which I would not prefer. I hope I can pick up my English again not only for CET4 or 6,but for myself ,for my intrest.
sarahxia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very nice thread!

I am also seeking some advices on how to learn English at a bit advanced level. My situation is like this: I learned English in China for 10 years as a subject, as most other students did. Currently I am in Australia doing master's degree.

I have to say that my English has improved quite a lot since I came here a year and a half ago because of the English speaking environment. But I know if I stop learning english, it would just stop improving. Some immigrants who have been here for 20 years but still cannot speak correctly as I observed. I don't want to be one of them in 10 or 20 years time. So I really want a learning plan, a life long one, to learn English. Any advice would be appreciated.

P.S. Anyone who is in the similar situation as mine, I'd like to be your peer. We could help each other out along the learning journey.

My msn: [email protected]

Regards,

Sarah
DamianGriff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: learn English for the price of a few cups of coffee! Reply with quote

Hi. One thing I noticed when I used to teach English in Spain was that the really keen students found someone to practise their English with - they would find someone from England or America, say, and then have exchange classes - they'd meet in a cafe a couple of times a week and spend an hour speaking in Spanish and an hour speaking in English together.

I really noticed that those were my best students - they were the ones who progressed the most quickly. I know it's a really obvious suggestion, but the point is, it's probably pretty easy to do in most countries: when you consider the number of British/Irish/American/Australian etc. teachers living around the world (who are probably interested in learning YOUR language) then it's likely that there are some living in your town right now.

It's an effective and cheap way of improving your English (total cost = the price of a few cups of coffee) and it's a good way of making new friends and learning about culture, which is hard to do if you are just studying language in a classroom. Anyway, just a suggestion... put up an advert and see what happens! Damian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: