Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you like the President USA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedRose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP wrote:
Yes, Red Rose, I meant that just hearing it makes one laugh out loud.

I might have said "spit-take stupid," for that matter. When an actor takes a sip of something just as another actor says something funny or surprising or idiotic, then the first one spits it out all over the place, that's a spit take.

The first time I heard Reagan called "the great communicator," I probably actually did a spit take.

Thanks, teacher CP.
asterix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that Reagan was one of the most liked (by Americans) US presidents.
How do you account for that?
ad-miral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Americans like him. He was voted by californian businessmen, so he supported the Californian economy very much.

That's why he is liked.

But what about the protests against the Vietnamwar in the universities? Yes, he called the CIA to undercover it.
And what about the Korean War? Yeah it's an attack on Korea without reasons, and it murdered a lot of guys.

Of course America liked him because he had been very good to his own country.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:
Of course Americans like him.

I'm an American, and I do NOT like him.
Infact, since he didn't win the popular vote and only the electoral college vote, you should really say that Americans do NOT like him (although it's not a very good idea to make generalizations like that at all).
ad-miral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah true, but as the elections prescribes the majority as winner and the minority as loser, you have to make generalisations.

In this forum (www.eslclub.com) there are a lot of nationalists who love Bush, so how nice that people like you also exist in the world. I'm very happy.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:
Yeah true, but as the elections prescribes the majority as winner and the minority as loser, you have to make generalisations.

In this forum (www.eslclub.com) there are a lot of nationalists who love Bush, so how nice that people like you also exist in the world. I'm very happy.

Hehe Smile
Yeah, it's very regional. Everyone either hates Bush or loves him, and I'm guessing that site is infested with Bush-lovers.
Not here though Razz
There are plenty of people with my view about Bush, though (since he DID lose the popular vote, and his approval ratings have of course dropped since then), so there's some good left in this world Wink.

The electoral college is just silly, in my opinion. It's a system left over from when America was just getting into swing and the smaller states felt underrepresented. However, there are plenty of Americans in all the states now, so it's really not needed (but now Americans are too stupid to realize that, and we continue to use it for some dumb reason).
welkins2139

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were more than over fifty percent voters like him in 2004.

He seemed to me that he did not do a good job. Last year, he didn't do a good job to help Katrina victiums. And the Iraq war is really messy. I do not know much about his domestic polcies and foregin polices. But the two things I mention it seemed make me do not like him right know.

By the way, the invasion of privacy that he tapped on citizens too.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welkins2139 wrote:
There were more than over fifty percent voters like him in 2004.

He seemed to me that he did not do a good job. Last year, he didn't do a good job to help Katrina victiums. And the Iraq war is really messy. I do not know much about his domestic polcies and foregin polices. But the two things I mention it seemed make me do not like him right know.

By the way, the invasion of privacy that he tapped on citizens too.

Yes, we're in agreement on that Smile.
Complete invasion of privacy, and saying that he did it to "help the American people" is ridiculous.
We have a right to know everything our government is doing (especially with such a shady administration!!)
Bob S.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:
Of course Americans like him. He was voted by californian businessmen, so he supported the Californian economy very much.
That's why he is liked. .
Is this the same Admiral from Tsingtao, China?
It takes more than just the votes of businessmen to elect someone. Something about his message had to resonate with millions of hardworking regular employees also.

Quote:
And what about the Korean War? Yeah it's an attack on Korea without reasons, and it murdered a lot of guys.
Eh? Confused Reagan wasn't president or even governor during the Korean War.

Quote:
Of course America liked him because he had been very good to his own country.
Isn't that the job of any national leader? I hope your leaders work so hard for the interests of you and your countrymen too.

welkins2139 wrote:
Last year, he didn't do a good job to help Katrina victims.
No he didn't, but then that's not his job. The primary power to recover from any disaster rests primarily with the local government. One needs only look at the recovery of Mississippi which was hit just as hard by Katrina and compare to the miserably slow recovery of New Orleans administered by Mayor Ray "School Bus" Nagin.

flying_pig319 wrote:
The electoral college is just silly, in my opinion. It's a system left over from when America was just getting into swing and the smaller states felt underrepresented. However, there are plenty of Americans in all the states now, so it's really not needed (but now Americans are too stupid to realize that, and we continue to use it for some dumb reason).
Such chutzpah to think that everyone who doesn't agree with you must be stupid. Did you ever think that the reason we still have it is as valid today as it was back then? If we chose by popular vote, candidates would focus a majority of their time and money on major population centers such as New York, California, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Texas. A winner-take-all electoral college system forces candidates to acknowledge the people and interests of fly-over states that would normally get ignored. Even North Carolina, which if it were to break off the continent and sink into the Atlantic would hardly be missed, suddenly becomes important and noticed every 4 years. So occasionally rarely we get a president elected by an electoral college counting fluke. Big deal. It's not an appointment for life. If he is so terrible, he would've gotten dumped in 4 years (see Carter, Bush 1). The Dems needed to nominate someone who is more than lackluster if they wanted to beat someone who is merely mediocre even if he did get in on a fluke.
ad-miral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Bob,
no you remembred wrong, I'm from KunMing, YunNan
But the same Admiral, I just had a busy time and then I forgot my password.
Bob S.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:
hi Bob,
no you remembred wrong, I'm from KunMing, YunNan
But the same Admiral, I just had a busy time and then I forgot my password.
Dang! Where's my head. You're over there in Germany not far from Stellara. Right? How goes the studies?
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob S. wrote:

flying_pig319 wrote:
Such chutzpah to think that everyone who doesn't agree with you must be stupid. Did you ever think that the reason we still have it is as valid today as it was back then? If we chose by popular vote, candidates would focus a majority of their time and money on major population centers such as New York, California, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Texas. A winner-take-all electoral college system forces candidates to acknowledge the people and interests of fly-over states that would normally get ignored. Even North Carolina, which if it were to break off the continent and sink into the Atlantic would hardly be missed, suddenly becomes important and noticed every 4 years. So occasionally rarely we get a president elected by an electoral college counting fluke. Big deal. It's not an appointment for life. If he is so terrible, he would've gotten dumped in 4 years (see Carter, Bush 1). The Dems needed to nominate someone who is more than lackluster if they wanted to beat someone who is merely mediocre even if he did get in on a fluke.

You're right, my judgement was too snap and I should try to have a more open mind.
But, in defense of my view, you could use that argument in the other direction too! Smaller CITIES (such as my small, lefty city in the midst of a conservative state) do not make a difference at all, because NC is majorly republican. If no one in my city voted, or everyone in my city voted, it wouldn't make a difference in the outcome of the election- not a very empowering thought.
ieltsinsider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: none Reply with quote

Does the electoral college system mean that candidates focus on the bigger states?

Not that I am trying to tell Americans how to run their country (well, maybe just a little!), but shouldn't you do something about all those gerrymandered voting districts?
ad-miral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dang! Where's my head. You're over there in Germany not far from Stellara. Right? How goes the studies?

Yes Stellara also lives in Germany but I need to pay a lot of money and time if I had to visit her so I didn't because time and money are more important.
I'm doing practical training now.

Quote:
Isn't that the job of any national leader? I hope your leaders work so hard for the interests of you and your countrymen too.

heyhey you "patriotic" "American" guy, I missed such posts of you very very much.

http://www.quotesandsayings.com/qvietnam.htm
Quote:
We should declare war on North Vietnam. . . .We could pave the whole country and put parking strips on it, and still be home by Christmas.

--Ronald Reagan, 1965

because of this, I thought Reagan made war in Vietnam, but obviously I was wrong. Seems that Truman, Eisenhower and Kennedy are the ones who made war with Vietnam.

Laughing America's history is full of blood and wars against the Middle East and against North Vietnam and other countries. (I don't want to count them) Maybe they earn their money with weapon production.
ieltsinsider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: 2 questions Reply with quote

Question 1 - Which US President had the highest ratings in the opinion polls ever?
Question 2 - Which post-WW2 US President had an approval rating of over 60% for 16 months?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: