Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

really worth to argue about religion, isn't it childish?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ad-miral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: really worth to argue about religion, isn't it childish? Reply with quote

I saw many guys arguing about religion as if they are ready to eat the adversary. I want to ask whether it's childish for you.
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think amicable discussions are a better way of resolving issues and understanding one another. Imagine, a Jew and an Arab, and Indian and a Pakistani expressing their views on mutually sensitive issues in a friendly and civilized discussion.

Dave deserves a Nobel Prize!
RedRose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to discuss religion with people. but later I found it's a pure waste of time.

For everyone, religion is rooted and almost unchangable. and there are some conflicts of thinking among different religions. so people often try to tell others that their own religion is "correct", and others' is "wrong". Finally, none can convince another one. sin't that a waste of time?

Anyway, religion isn't a nice question for discussion.
ad-miral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes RedRose I'm also doubting now whether I should just ignore such discussions.
Different religions only create anger. Have you noticed that, if a Christ and a Muslim discuss about about each other's religions, the Christ only says why Islam is evil and the Islam only says why Islam is not evil?

I also think now this is a waste of time.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not religion as in "which religion is best", but I think it's interesting to talk about religion's histories and the impact they have on the world today.
CP

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabin Boy said:
Quote:
Have you noticed that, if a Christ and a Muslim discuss about about each other's religions, the Christ only says why Islam is evil and the Islam only says why Islam is not evil?

Christ is the person for whom Christianity is named. A follower of Christ is a Christian, not a Christ.

And a follower of Islam is a Muslim, not an Islam.

I cannot agree that when a Christian and a Muslim discuss religion, the Christian does nothing but call Islam evil, and the Muslim does nothing but defend Islam as not evil.

Where did you get such a strange idea?
ad-miral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the discussion in the English Internet Forums I know
ad-miral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and for example in the discussion with CP
Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green he hates me now and wrote a very long post blaiming me because I said he is stupid, as he has become very fanatic in Christianity
alper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedRose wrote:
I used to discuss religion with people. but later I found it's a pure waste of time.

For everyone, religion is rooted and almost unchangable. and there are some conflicts of thinking among different religions. so people often try to tell others that their own religion is "correct", and others' is "wrong". Finally, none can convince another one. sin't that a waste of time?

I totally agree with you
alper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi friends

I am a muslim and in my opinion we don't need to discuss religions, of course we can talk about religions but blaming totally a religion is so weird.

at the same time I have a " Universal Peace Project" and I am focusing on it. if we want "Universal Peace" we should respect each other. because religion is a choice. and everybody can be who s/he wants to be...

I hope all wars will be over one day, and we will live so friendly in this world in a peacefully way...

peace be upon you...
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the boards, Alper! I think your peace-seaching personality will fit in well here Smile

Returning to the topic:
But some religions involve things that aren't just opinion- they violate human rights.
The Mormon faith involves polygamy. I'm not quite sure on my view, but I think I think that even though both man and women agree to it, it's still wrong, because no human being (or animal, to some extent!) should be treated like this. Isn't this a cause for argument? Some things are NOT just opinion, they're simply WRONG.

Anuradha Chepur wrote:
I think amicable discussions are a better way of resolving issues and understanding one another. Imagine, a Jew and an Arab, and Indian and a Pakistani expressing their views on mutually sensitive issues in a friendly and civilized discussion.

Dave deserves a Nobel Prize!

I know!! This place is truly amazing. It attracts so many wonderful, thoughtful, well-educated people that are so hard to find in real life. Wink

And I'm serious about the Nobel Prize thing.
ad-miral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But some religions involve things that aren't just opinion- they violate human rights.
The Mormon faith involves polygamy. I'm not quite sure on my view, but I think I think that even though both man and women agree to it, it's still wrong, because no human being (or animal, to some extent!) should be treated like this. Isn't this a cause for argument? Some things are NOT just opinion, they're simply WRONG.

In the past years I didn't notice it that much but now nearly all films in the television is something about religion and the news I look every day deal far more about religion than in the past years.

Why is it so? Because some stupid guys like Bush pushed it higher and higher with his wars.
Such a stupid thing destroyed the nice television. In the past times there were more nice romantic films and martial arts films, now they are all gone.
ad-miral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fp319 wrote:
I know!! This place is truly amazing. It attracts so many wonderful, thoughtful, well-educated people that are so hard to find in real life.

Yeah this is really a wonder and that's also why I like this forum!
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:

Such a stupid thing destroyed...

Religion is a stupid thing?
garfield_jesse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedRose wrote:

I think it's waste of time to argue about religion with other people.

Once i had an argument with my aunt about religion just because i couldnt stand when she talked that her wealth, her bread and butter, her health...were all God brought about her....too absurd. I'm an atheistic so the veiwpoint between i and her was so different. Noone won in this agument but the result was i and her didnt talk each other for a long time Sad Sad

Now i and my aunt always avoid to mention about religion. I think we should respect the one's belief instead of criticizing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: