Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

international marriage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Family
View previous topic :: View next topic  
just.me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: international marriage Reply with quote

i live in japan, i am from italy my wife is japanese, and i have a kid 3 years old.
sometime tough sometime ok.
i have been looking for international couples to meet up with kids of similar age, near my area, not too easy so far.
i wonder if my kid will be assimilated into the japanese way of thinking, not that i think is bad, but it would be nicer if he could be more open to other way of thinking, i wonder if by having me as a father would be enough for him to assimilate both mentality.
I am Christian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japanese women are beautiful girls.
I have known some of them in Canada.
Also they are much intelligent and educated, isn't it?
Bob S.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: international marriage Reply with quote

just.me wrote:
i wonder if by having me as a father would be enough for him to assimilate both mentality.
My guess is probably not. As your child gets older, you may want to look into finding an international school in Tokyo. Many expats who live in Japan send their children to such schools. The two big problems are, they can be expensive, and they are usually taught in English only (I'm guessing your child hears mostly Japanese and Italian at home). But if this sounds better than nothing, you can find some adverts for international schools in The Japan Times and Metropolis magazine.
just.me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: international marriage Reply with quote

Bob S. wrote:
just.me wrote:
i wonder if by having me as a father would be enough for him to assimilate both mentality.
My guess is probably not. As your child gets older, you may want to look into finding an international school in Tokyo. Many expats who live in Japan send their children to such schools. The two big problems are, they can be expensive, and they are usually taught in English only (I'm guessing your child hears mostly Japanese and Italian at home). But if this sounds better than nothing, you can find some adverts for international schools in The Japan Times and Metropolis magazine.

cheers mate,
i can't afford international schools, i thought about it already.
and actually i speak to him in english, i lived in england for about 13 years, my original lingo, is useless!!
anyway thanks for the suggestion.
enigma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Hope I can help?? Reply with quote

Hi,
I hope I can be of a little help here. I am a Malaysian who is married to an American. I believe kids at the early learning stage pick up a language very quickly through audio-visual programmes. There are loads of fun language learning CDs that place emphasis on the four language learning components; listening, speaking, reading and writing. You can also opt to follow an interactive language learning programme on your PC. Children are very interested in colourful visuals, songs and animated cartoons. I am afraid these would require you to facilitate your child's learning; hence it would be a little bit of a problem if you work long hours. I am a little surprised that English is not one of the subjects taught in Japan.
I live in Malaysia. Although we are non-native speakers of English, the English language is taught is all schools and it is a second language here. It is a requirement to pass all English proficiency tests if one hopes to obtain a full certification in any government examination at all.
In any way, your child stands to benefit where language learning is concerned for he/she would have mastered in the least 3 languages by the time he/she is older. Very Happy

Life is an educational journey....
Bob S.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hope I can help?? Reply with quote

enigma wrote:
I am a little surprised that English is not one of the subjects taught in Japan.
It IS taught. In fact, if you are planning to go to college, you will have taken 6 years of English before you graduate high school. But it is not taught very well. It is not surprising to find a person who has taken 6 years of English who cannot speak a word. Rolling Eyes Confused
just.me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hope I can help?? Reply with quote

Bob S. wrote:
enigma wrote:
I am a little surprised that English is not one of the subjects taught in Japan.
It IS taught. In fact, if you are planning to go to college, you will have taken 6 years of English before you graduate high school. But it is not taught very well. It is not surprising to find a person who has taken 6 years of English who cannot speak a word. Rolling Eyes Confused

in reality, if you are studing english in a not english country, generally speaking people will never be able to speak it, not because are incapable, but there is are no chances to practise it.

eventually i will go back to england, after the elementary, so he will pick up english, and may italian too.
but that is the least of my worries, being able to speak more than on lingo is alwasy a plus, but the priority for my baby, is for him to be happy.
there are many happy human being that can only speak one lingo.

i just like him to enjoy him self, and meet people from different walk of life, while i am in japan.

my intention is to live here for good, since i am working here, also i am not that young to embark in a new adventure in looking for a new job.
egeism exist everywhere, so i have to face this reality.

thanks for your kind advice
just.me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hope I can help?? Reply with quote

enigma wrote:
Hi,
I hope I can be of a little help here. I am a Malaysian who is married to an American. I believe kids at the early learning stage pick up a language very quickly through audio-visual programmes. There are loads of fun language learning CDs that place emphasis on the four language learning components; listening, speaking, reading and writing. You can also opt to follow an interactive language learning programme on your PC. Children are very interested in colourful visuals, songs and animated cartoons. I am afraid these would require you to facilitate your child's learning; hence it would be a little bit of a problem if you work long hours. I am a little surprised that English is not one of the subjects taught in Japan.
I live in Malaysia. Although we are non-native speakers of English, the English language is taught is all schools and it is a second language here. It is a requirement to pass all English proficiency tests if one hopes to obtain a full certification in any government examination at all.
In any way, your child stands to benefit where language learning is concerned for he/she would have mastered in the least 3 languages by the time he/she is older. Very Happy

definetely, i don't underestimate the human ability to learn laguages. anyone can do it.
my point is not really learning languages, but be bale to be open mind while living in japan.
since he will be aducated here in japan, i wish or hope that being with his non japanese father, can help him to open his mind.
i know that he will be immersed in one culture, but if i build a good relationship with him, he eventually be able to understand that there are also different way of thinking.

anyway, i appreciate your advice.

cheers
Bob S.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just.me,

I found this:
http://www.piqniq.jp/
" Piqniq is a social network for English-speaking families living in Japan."

You may find it useful.
just.me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob S. wrote:
just.me,

I found this:
http://www.piqniq.jp/
" Piqniq is a social network for English-speaking families living in Japan."

You may find it useful.

thanks.
i will make a good use.
jarodlovely

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's said that international marriages are sometimes fragile for people from different background will certainly have difficulties understanding each other completely. what do you say?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Family All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: