Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's really really really important,take a look at her pleas
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:
wow fp you are Jew???
My friends always say I should become Jew

Haha, yep.
Smile
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:
wow fp you are Jew???

Unless your mother is a Jew you cannot just become a Jew.

There is a strict conversion process, even for most non-orthodox branches of Judaism.

http://www.jewfaq.org/whoisjew.htm
http://www.jewfaq.org/gentiles.htm#Conversion

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beancurdturtle wrote:
ad-miral wrote:
wow fp you are Jew???

Unless your mother is a Jew you cannot just become a Jew.

There is a strict conversion process, even for most non-orthodox branches of Judaism.

http://www.jewfaq.org/whoisjew.htm
http://www.jewfaq.org/gentiles.htm#Conversion

I am familliar with the JewFAQ site, and the ideas on it are generally othodox ideas put in accessible form. (Such as the ideas about heaven).
The conversion process is very welcoming in Reform and Reconstructionist (what I am) branches. In general, the branches that allow marriages to non-Jews will allow more *reasonable* conversions FOR non-Jews (in my view).
I'm not trying to convert you here, just inform you Smile
ad-miral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh better not, I have to be circumcised...

http://www.jewfaq.org/defs/circumcision.htm
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:
oh better not, I have to be circumcised...

There you go! I had a suspicion this would be the case. Smile

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flying_pig319 wrote:

Of course you are not trying to convert. That's one (among quite a few) of the things I respect about Judaism. Very Happy

--Dr. Seuss
ad-miral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can I become jew without circumcizing?
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad-miral wrote:
can I become jew without circumcizing?

If you are seriously interested, I suggest you find a very liberal temple in your city (Reconstructionist would be your best bet, but Reform is another liberal branch that will probably be much easier to find) and ask them whether they would be willing to convert you without circumcising.
In my opinion, it seems a reasonable thing to ask, as long as you are sure that you really do have a strong commitment to God (whatever that means to you as a person) even if you won't be physically harmed by the conversion. In other words, make sure the synagogue knows that the reason you do not want to be circumcised is NOT because you just don't take it seriouly enough.
If I was the rabbi, I think would allow it as long as I was sure the person was serious about the decision to convert. (But I'm not the typical Jew).

Tell the rabbi that you would like to learn about Judaism before you make a decision, and ask if you can attend some services. It's generally acceptable to learn about Judaism for one year before converting (that way you can observe all the holidays etc.)
In general, I find Jewish services to be more lively than those of Christianity (although I haven't had as much experience Wink) and it'll probably be a lot of fun.

beancurdturtle wrote:
flying_pig319 wrote:

Of course you are not trying to convert. That's one (among quite a few) of the things I respect about Judaism. Very Happy

Me too, actually Smile
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I celebrated the Jewish Holy Days much of my years when I was a kid. I also have celebrated Christian Holidays.

I think because the core beliefs and traditions of Judaism remain closer to their archetype, and there is not a big drive to convert others to Judaism, there's deeper tradition and meaning in the Jewish Holy Days than Christian Holidays. They are comforting and more closely connected to the follower's spirituality.

Many of the traditions and symbolism in Christian Holidays (like Christmas and Easter) are disguised artifacts from older Pagan Holy Days. The melange of traditions resulted in more productive efforts in converting the "Godless" to Christianity. But in the end the Holidays are more mindless ritual and symbolism, and not so deeply spiritual as the Jewish traditions in my experience.

--Dr. Seuss
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beancurdturtle wrote:
I celebrated the Jewish Holy Days much of my years when I was a kid. I also have celebrated Christian Holidays.

I think because the core beliefs and traditions of Judaism remain closer to their archetype, and there is not a big drive to convert others to Judaism, there's deeper tradition and meaning in the Jewish Holy Days than Christian Holidays. They are comforting and more closely connected to the follower's spirituality.

Many of the traditions and symbolism in Christian Holidays (like Christmas and Easter) are disguised artifacts from older Pagan Holy Days. The melange of traditions resulted in more productive efforts in converting the "Godless" to Christianity. But in the end the Holidays are more mindless ritual and symbolism, and not so deeply spiritual as the Jewish traditions in my experience.

Yeah, I definitely see what you're saying, and many Jewish holidays are slowly becoming mindless, "pop-culture"y rituals. Chanukkah and Bat-/Bar-Mitzvahs, especially.

Admiral (and anyone else following along), here's some information from a less orthodox website:
No more joking. Now we get really serious. Men who were not circumcised at birth now must play haircut and "get a little bit trimmed off the top." Furthermore, you can't get circumcised by just anyone, but only by a surgeon or doctor who has been deemed circumcision-worthy by a temple (this special kind of doctor is called a "mohel," pronounced "MOY-yell"). Don't get too panicky, though; Reform and Reconstructionist rabbis usually do not require a circumcision. If you were already circumcised and you want to convert to Orthodox or Conservative Judaism, then you still must give a drop of your blood as a symbolic circumcision. In case you weren't sure, let us be specific: circumcision only applies to MALE candidates. And here's one last important tip: don't get circumcised before facing the religious court. What if they don't pass you? Then you would've gotten snipped for nothing!
Mirea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beancurdturtle wrote:

Yes, that's true, a lot of old traditions mainly of the celtic culture became part of Christianity because the first "fathers of the church" and their missionaries couldn't get those traditions out of the heads of the ordinary people. But you know for me it's exactly those traditions I would say they are not mindless, because they were celebrated for some 3500 years by our people ( in Germany, France, England, Switzerland etc.) Look at the Irish people, they still are very much celtic in their culture. It's really astonishing those traditions survived until today.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirea wrote:
But you know for me it's exactly those traditions I would say they are not mindless, because they were celebrated for some 3500 years by our people ( in Germany, France, England, Switzerland etc.) Look at the Irish people, they still are very much celtic in their culture. It's really astonishing those traditions survived until today.

My apologies. "Mindless" was a poor choice of words. I should have said something like "ritual and symbolism not rooted in Christianity."

--Dr. Seuss
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beancurdturtle wrote:
Mirea wrote:
But you know for me it's exactly those traditions I would say they are not mindless, because they were celebrated for some 3500 years by our people ( in Germany, France, England, Switzerland etc.) Look at the Irish people, they still are very much celtic in their culture. It's really astonishing those traditions survived until today.

My apologies. "Mindless" was a poor choice of words. I should have said something like "ritual and symbolism not rooted in Christianity."

"Mindless" compared to what the holidays were originally intended for, I'm sure!
Mirea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beancurdturtle wrote:

No there's really no need to apologize at all, from the point of view of Christianity they are mindless if you want so Wink, but I guess most of Christians wouldn't agree to have pagan rituals in their religion, hehe.

flying_pig319 wrote:
"Mindless" compared to what the holidays were originally intended for, I'm sure!

Yes, most of them lost their original content, I'm sure too. If you go to a Halloween party next weekend, your intend is not to scare away some ghosts and demons? Laughing But those traditions are very nice anyway, I really like them, because they are not Christian. What about the jewish traditions and religious rituals, do you think they still have all of the original contents?
retop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!
•E-mails worth $50 and $100
•PTC worth $50 and $100
•$500 signup bonus before 4000 members!
•$50000 payout for Free Members.
•Payments via e-Gold, MoneyBookers, PayPal,Stormpay,Money Order or check
•Reedem available (Send in max 24 hours)
•200$ referral bonus
•Lower Minimum Payout for Upgraded Members
•No downline required for payout!
•You can get all commission from downline clicks.
(no active requirement!)
•Look at commission info
•5 Ref levels of commission under you:

level 1 - 20%
level 2 - 10%
level 3 - 8%
level 4 - 5%
level 5 - 1%

http://www.rich-mails.net/pages/index.php?refid=retop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: