Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International Couples.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarako

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: International Couples. Reply with quote

What do you think about international couples?
I often see a couple of Asian girl and Caucasian guy in Japan. However it�s kind of rare to see a couple of Asian guy and Caucasian girl. Why does this happen?
I�m a Japanese girl and I think Japanese girl is thought like that we are easy to fall in love with American or other guy from western country. I don�t know why but I think there are many reasons, for example we started imitate western country after WWⅡ or earlier than that. I think we tend to long for Western cultures. I think that is one of the reasons why Japanese girls like western guy unconsciously.
What about other countries? And what do you think about going out with guy/girl from other country?
gkoscik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by gkoscik on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's wonderful, and there should be more of them.
Also, I think inter-racial couples should be pictured more in media so they will become more acceptable, eventually.
ClarissaMach

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarako, lots of people from western nations feel like dating oriental girls/boys, too.

At orkut (online community created by Google that connects people through a network of friends), for example, there are several communities dedicated to people who love oriental features, Japanese girsl, etc:

"Eu amo garotas orientais" (I love oriental girls) - 11,564 members

"SMAO - Somos mais as orientais" (something like "I prefer the oriental girls") - 11,222 members

"Eu amo garotas japonesas e chinesas" (I love Japanese and Chinese girls) - 2,803 members

"Fascinados pelas orientais" (fascinated by the oriental women) - 6,564 members

"Clube dos amantes das Japinhas" (Japanese girls' lovers club) - 18,703 members

"Por que os Japinhas s�o t�o lindos?" (Why the japanese men are so beautiful?) - 6,953 members

"Homens orientais: os melhores" (Oriental men: the best) - 4,111 members

"Mulheres orientais s�o deusas" (Oriental women are godness) - 1,309 members

"Japinha" is a common nickname for Japanese-like people. Actually, most people can't see the difference between Chinese and Japanese people (I know some Japanese and Chinese get mad at it; that's why I try to be aware of the differences between them). Most people who take part of communities like "I love Japanese girls" actually like Chinese girls, too, cause they can't see the difference.
callatis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: About topic Reply with quote

Let"s say i have been studied very deep the international marriages in Japan... I have my reasons and i am a curious monkey or better said, a naked ape Smile. You can find very good answers just googling for that term.I hope you will notice the trend.By the way, i heard about a notorius tribe from Bali island.No more comments.Have a great day.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClarissaMach wrote:
Tarako, lots of people from western nations feel like dating oriental girls/boys, too.

At orkut (online community created by Google that connects people through a network of friends), for example, there are several communities dedicated to people who love oriental features, Japanese girsl, etc:

"Eu amo garotas orientais" (I love oriental girls) - 11,564 members

"SMAO - Somos mais as orientais" (something like "I prefer the oriental girls") - 11,222 members

"Eu amo garotas japonesas e chinesas" (I love Japanese and Chinese girls) - 2,803 members

"Fascinados pelas orientais" (fascinated by the oriental women) - 6,564 members

"Clube dos amantes das Japinhas" (Japanese girls' lovers club) - 18,703 members

"Por que os Japinhas s�o t�o lindos?" (Why the japanese men are so beautiful?) - 6,953 members

"Homens orientais: os melhores" (Oriental men: the best) - 4,111 members

"Mulheres orientais s�o deusas" (Oriental women are godness) - 1,309 members

"Japinha" is a common nickname for Japanese-like people. Actually, most people can't see the difference between Chinese and Japanese people (I know some Japanese and Chinese get mad at it; that's why I try to be aware of the differences between them). Most people who take part of communities like "I love Japanese girls" actually like Chinese girls, too, cause they can't see the difference.

Yes.
In the US it is mixed.
Sometimes Asians are viewed as very play-by-the-rules, get-good-grades kinds of people, but sometimes they are viewed as hot, rockstar-like, awesome lovers. (Gackt is popular.)
Both are stereotypes, of course, and I totally dissapprove of each, but I thought it might be interesting to share.
gkoscik

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by gkoscik on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you misunderstood flying_pig. She said, "In the US it is mixed.
Sometimes Asians are viewed as very play-by-the-rules, get-good-grades kinds of people, but sometimes they are viewed as hot, rockstar-like, awesome lovers. (Gackt is popular.) "

I think the "it is mixed" referred to stereotypes about Asians, not to any feelings of Asians themselves. How about it flying_pig? What did you *really* mean? Wink
gkoscik

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by gkoscik on Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorikeet wrote:
I think you misunderstood flying_pig. She said, "In the US it is mixed.
Sometimes Asians are viewed as very play-by-the-rules, get-good-grades kinds of people, but sometimes they are viewed as hot, rockstar-like, awesome lovers. (Gackt is popular.) "

I think the "it is mixed" referred to stereotypes about Asians, not to any feelings of Asians themselves. How about it flying_pig? What did you *really* mean? Wink

Yes, you're right, Lorikeet Smile
I meant that the stereotypes of Asians were very diverse ("mixed"). Sorry if I offended anyone- it probably wasn't the best way to phrase it.
ad-miral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In every country there are very good looking or very nice girls, you shouldn't let cultural difference be a hindrance.
But you see, with you marry with someone speaking a different language or having a different culture, maybe you will have communicating problems or many contrary opinions.
I like to look at Turkish/Iranish/Egyptish etc. girls because I think they are a mix of Asian girls and European girls.
BourneNOIR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread... I'll chip in a bit of my observation...

Tarako wrote:
What do you think about international couples?
I often see a couple of Asian girl and Caucasian guy in Japan. However it�s kind of rare to see a couple of Asian guy and Caucasian girl. Why does this happen?

I think there's still a slight barrier for marriages between Asians (mostly Far East) and Westerners due to cultural backgrounds.

In many Asian cultures, your whole family plays a role in your marriage. A girl is married into the family so she is usually scrutinized upon by the rest of the family. As a result guys (traditional Asian guys) make decisions that are tend to be influenced by the family, more so than western cultures.

On the other hand, an Asian girl is married out of the family. Therefore the barrier is not as restrictive, and many families just wish their daughters to be happy with their husband regardless of their race.

Luckily, I have open-minded parents so I'm not restricted about things like this. However, I kind of feel it's my duty to uphold certain traditional cultural values such as filial piety towards older family members to find someone who will be able communicate and take care of them. Heh, so yeah, I probably wouldn't mind dating a nice non-Asian girl. If she could speak Chinese then it would be a plus. If she understands traditional Chinese culture and knows how to speak Taiwanese, she'd amaze me (actually, this applies to any girls I meet). Wink
neiiii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m a Japanese girl. I often see a couple of Asian woman and foreign country’s man in the town. I think foreign country’s man is very gentleman and very friendly seen from Asian woman.
Especially, I think their expression of love is rich and straight. For example, I have heard that Brazilian men have a passionate character. I think a passionate character is very good and I want to marry a man like this. Because Japanese women is shy, I think Japanese women suit a woman who have a character like this. But, I think it is good that a man have not only a passionate character but also a grown-up opinions.
International Couples have different culture and different opinions. If a man have a grown-up opinions, their family can become happier. And, when I encounter some difficulties, he helps me and give me different opinions. Different opinions make me positive and bright.
Also, I want to ask where they encounter at first time. My Chinese teacher married a Japanese man when she went abroad. I thought it was wonderful their encountering.
Because that, I think international couples are wonderful!
Allanteacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am married, not to a Japanese girl, but a Chinese girl. She is shy too, and sometimes I wish she wasn't. I am quite passionate, but sometimes she wishes I wasn't. Never mind, we've been married for 10 years now, so it's ok.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: