Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my English is poor, can you help me.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> English Schools
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacktann

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: my English is poor, can you help me. Reply with quote

I am in my 30s, I haven't learnt much English, so my English is very poor.could you give me some advices to improve it, because i am a "old" student in English learning, maybe it is easier for others , but for me it seems really a mission which is impossible to complete.
jayashany

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

The biggest problem most people face in learning a new language is their own fear. They worry that they won�t say things correctly or that they will look stupid so they don�t talk at all. Don�t do this. The fastest way to learn anything is to do it � again and again until you get it right. Like anything, learning English requires practice. Don�t let a little fear stop you from getting what you want.
The absolute best way to learn English is to surround yourself with it. Take notes in English, put English books around your room, watch English news, movies and television. Speak English with your friends whenever you can. The more English material that you have around you, the faster you will learn and the more likely you will be to begin �thinking in English.� .
By watching English films (especially those with subtitles) you can expand your vocabulary and hear the flow of speech from the actors. If you listen to the news you can also hear different accents.
Music can be a very effective method of learning English. In fact, it is often used as a way of improving comprehension. The best way to learn though, is to get the lyrics (words) to the songs you are listening to and try to read them as the artist sings. Their are several good internet sites where one can find the words for most songs. This way you can practice your listening and reading at the same time. And if you like to sing, go for it.
Speak on the phone or listen to audiobooks or CDs in English. This is different than watching the television or films because you can�t see the person that is speaking to you. Many new English speakers say that speaking on the phone is the most difficult thing that they do and the only way to improve is to practice.
avles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: don't worry and don't give up Reply with quote

Don't worry.there are many ways to learn english. u must read a lots of books. a part from that u should practise to communicate in english language. u must consistent in your reading to improve vocabulary. i know you can do it!
echojenny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it takes time to learn english like any other language.
you got to adapt to it
izalo

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: my English is poor, can you help me. Reply with quote

Jacktann wrote:
I am in my 30s, I haven't learnt much English, so my English is very poor.could you give me some advices to improve it, because i am a "old" student in English learning, maybe it is easier for others , but for me it seems really a mission which is impossible to complete.

Well, I am in my 30s too, and I am still learning english language. It is not easy thing, I understand you, and I know sometimes we could feel frustated when we try to speak or we try to explain something and we don't have the right words to communicate feelings or thoughts about any subject.
Anyway, I don't quit and I keep with me books in my bedroom and I watch TV in english ( althought I watch my show in spanish from 8 to 9 pm some nights, the rest of my time I watch TV in english )

And I have my grammar books and my dictionary.

So,.... Look ahead, and trust in yourself , DON'T GIVE UP, and Good Luck !!!
Soksana

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can read books, at least the simplest, you can chat on the internet, listen to english songs and do not think English is difficult, cos Iknow from my own experience there are languages far more hard to learn (german -- three genders with three different articles which change as in Russian in every case)-- In English no gender and 2 cases -- Nominative and Posessive ,so think and ask for help if you need
mel4u

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i can help ya

I know efficient system of learning english which makes you fluent in speaking and conversing english with LIVE support.

send me message i will give you details of contact
kottan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!!!I'm a Japanese student .
I'm studying English at college.My English skills are poor.
However,I want to improve my English concluding writing,reading and
listening.
I go to English lounge in my college every week.English lounge is the place where I can talk with other country student in English.I'm very happy to expression myself in English.I always can't speak English well.
However,when person who talk with me understand my English,I enjoy time in English lounge.
Therefore,talking with someone in English is good way to improve English
skills.Let's try!
turkishsmile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,
I try to improve my english with courses, movies,books... but I think most important thing is make a conversation with native speakers. because practice is the most important thing improve your english. Also, I registered here for improve my english. think fast and write. sounds good ha Wink
by the way, age is not important I'm 32 years old. there is no age for learning. good luck who want to improve their english Very Happy
worldclass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from your post JackTan you have a reasonable English base to build on.

What about studying abroad in an English speaking country?

Try to fully immerse yourself in the langauge for a long period of time. Six months should be enough.

Don't strive for fluency as you won't attain it. As long as you can communicate and express yourself then that is the whole purpose of language.

Steve
jarodlovely

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first thing: do not think your english is poor...
and i believe the best way to learn english is to watch as much American TV series as you can. trust me it's really usefull. i'm an english major student and i have been studing english for almost 10 years.
LeslieW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should take a look here:

http://www.esl-international.net

Its hard learning a language at any age and as we get older we
all are worried about trying to learn a new language. Its perfectly
normal, but with the right teacher, anything is possible.
Rogerlz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thing that in a laguage you constantly learn something new, even in my fist language (spanish) I learn new words every day!!! Very Happy

I will try to whatch more movies and read more books, my english is to bad too!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like English songs, start reading the lyrics and singing aloud to pratice your pronunciation.
dmadison

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, learning a second language is always a challenge. I also struggle with it.
However, try to take advantage of the media, watch tv, listen to english music, and try to make english speakers friends. It helps a lot. One thing that teachers tell you is that you have to learn to think in English. And, it actually helps you a lot. I have been practicing this. Wherever I am, also I talk to myself in english Smile One last thing, please don't get frustrated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> English Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: