Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you think about American people?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarako wrote:
I think we shouldn�t think separately the government and people who live in that country when we consider about this topic ...

Tarako,

I would like you to take a look at this website:
http://www.sorryeverybody.com/

I would also like you to consider that nearly half of the voters in the U.S. voted against George Bush and the current Administration.

Then I would like you to read your quoted statement again.

You should know that your statement is very insulting to me and many Americans who have disagreed with George Bush and his policies since before he was put in power by the Supreme Court (not the people) in 2000.

I hope you can reconsider your opinion.

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beancurdturtle wrote:
Tarako wrote:
I think we shouldn�t think separately the government and people who live in that country when we consider about this topic ...

Tarako,

I would like you to take a look at this website:
http://www.sorryeverybody.com/

I would also like you to consider that nearly half of the voters in the U.S. voted against George Bush and the current Administration.

Then I would like you to read your quoted statement again.

You should know that your statement is very insulting to me and many Americans who have disagreed with George Bush and his policies since before he was put in power by the Supreme Court (not the people) in 2000.

I hope you can reconsider your opinion.

Infact, MORE than half of the people in the US voted against Bush and the current Administration.
It bothers me a little on that site that the anti-Bushies are referred to as the 49%. We WON the popular vote!!

But yes.
You're completely right, and it's a point that is made again and again on this site in almost every thread.
Bravo!
Annuch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the usa but i think that often they think to be the better, the boss of the world specially their president.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: In my opinion... Reply with quote

kingyo wrote:
I like American people, but not their government.
I lived America for 5 months in 2 years ago.
My roommate was so cool, and other friends were also kind and pleasant to be around.
I had a really good time in America.
They express their feelings a lot, and they try to understand the others.
I like to hang out with Americans.
I don�t like American government because I hate Bush.
They want to get every important place, resource and power in the world.
I know someone has an opinion that it�s strange to say �I like American People, but I don�t like their government� because American people chose their government.
I think that�s very different because I like their personality, but it�s not their political opinion.

I definitely see the issue you're bringing up-
It's okay to like Americans to hang out with, even if you don't like their political beliefs that elected Bush.
But remember, MOST Americans did NOT elect Bush, so you can like our political beliefs too.
www.sorryeverybody.com
I PROMISE, the majority of Americans are wonderful, considerate, and thoughtful people, but the few Americans that are NOT can cheat their way to winning elections.
Do not think that because Bush is our president, it means that most Americans like Bush. It's not true in any way at all.
Ahnes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Americans are generally kind Reply with quote

When i was in one of the high schools in the u.s., i was impressive students respected me and encouraged me while i was doing a presentation.
I think Americans are good people.
Hyun02

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mehrezsassi wrote:
I am an Arab and a muslim and I respect American people . I studied their history from the early settlements to postwar America and the cold war you know what is happening now looks like Macarthyism in the 50s
American people were frightened for being" red"for some political reasons .
I was in Boston and New York last summer and I made many friends who respect Arabs , their religion and their culture . Some Students at Boston College wonder how come that I am a white coming from Africa , they think that all Africans are blacks . This is what we should blame American people for . They don't bother to know about the other side and they are used by their administration to suspect the other especially after 9/11
"Fear does work" FARENHIET 9/11

I totally agree with you. they dont wanna be bothered to know about others. i barely know any americans but i just dont like them Confused
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyun02 wrote:
mehrezsassi wrote:
I am an Arab and a muslim and I respect American people . I studied their history from the early settlements to postwar America and the cold war you know what is happening now looks like Macarthyism in the 50s
I was in Boston and New York last summer and I made many friends who respect Arabs , their religion and their culture . Some Students at Boston College wonder how come that I am a white coming from Africa , they think that all Africans are blacks . This is what we should blame American people for . They don't bother to know about the other side and they are used by their administration to suspect the other especially after 9/11

I totally agree with you. they dont wanna be bothered to know about others. i barely know any americans but i just dont like them Confused

Don't group us all in that one category.
I think this closed-mindness is true to some degree in every country, but not necessarily more in America than other countries.
Don't generalize.
Hyun02

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flying_pig319 wrote:
Hyun02 wrote:
mehrezsassi wrote:

I think this closed-mindness is true to some degree in every country, but not necessarily more in America than other countries.
Don't generalize.

ok. That makes sense. I'll try not to generalize all americans. but SOME people on TV are so loud, you know? is that just because of TV? Anyway sorry if i made you feel bad.
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyun02 wrote:
flying_pig319 wrote:
Hyun02 wrote:
mehrezsassi wrote:

Don't generalize.

ok. That makes sense. I'll try not to generalize all americans. but SOME people on TV are so loud, you know? is that just because of TV? Anyway sorry if i made you feel bad.

It's fine-- I'm not taking offense, but rather objecting to the way you reason. I would have said the same thing if you had said that all Bulgarians were closed-minded.
But yeah, it's fine Smile

I think the FAMOUS Americans got that way because they were loud and wild, so the Americans that the public/foreign eye sees are the scummy, successful ones...
tos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like American people especially, L.A. people.
When I went to L.A. ,they were very friendly and they talked to me.
I wonder they felt foreigners are strange Question
Anyway,I like them because I can talk even though they are strangers Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: