Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why do so many people believe in GoD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> The Strange and Mysterious
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well..., I believe in God. But im not a Christian. I think i am free from religions but that doesn't mean that im saying religions are bad.

Last edited by laus on Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
izalo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can not obligate anybody to believe in God.... I think God is Just one here and everywhere... He is independent of your opinion and powerful if you ask him for help.

Faith is the most important element to get anything in life, by faith you could believe in God, We are free to do whaterever we want and we don't need to ask God's opinion in another words " Free Will " things happen in the nature no like an order of God, NO, things happen because this is the world, we are human beings and we are exposed to any kind of problem, so to avoid this tragedies, we have to Believe in God get his hand and always everyday ask him protection, believing firmely in his words.
loli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: I DO BELIEVE IN ALLAH Reply with quote

The Holy Koran is the only evidence one does need to prove that Allah exsists.There are many facts in the Koran and alot of stories about people whp lived long ago. And there are alot of scientific facts too, but the question is How did prophet Mohammmad (peace be upon him ) knew these facts ?He was an illetrate man who lived more than 1400 years ago! how did he know all these facts ??????? It was allh who sent the koran down on him.
BlanK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: why do so many people believe in GoD Reply with quote

cubee wrote:
i do not believe in god
i don't know why there's so many people believe in god
what is the use or advantage of believing the god
i think attending the mass every week and praying every day
is a waste of time
there're also many contradicts in the bible

if you disagree with me, please give me convincing reasons

hwhat the hell! you can┤t say that you don`t belive in god, you have to belive in something, that there`s someone bigger than us who create us... what?? you think that all the things just turn up??... what a silly thinking!!
BlanK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chyna wrote:
Hello everybody

I think, maybe, there's something or somebody, but "He" isn't as good as people belive.
Humanity need belive in something.

I don┤t belive in God, I need some demonstration from him.

I think Christ was the first rebellious man, like Che or somebody similar.

whatt!! that u need a demostration... and the ones that you have every day when u can wake up and feel the sunshine and the wind in your face, and you see every day that here are wonderfull people like our last pope or mother teresa de calcuta, gandhi who wasnt christian, those are big and small demostrations that there┤s someone that love us and give us all what we need, this is not about religion, is about be coherent and recognize that without that supreme being it doen┤st matter if you call him buda allah or god řou are nothing!! Rolling Eyes
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I DO BELIEVE IN ALLAH Reply with quote

loli wrote:
The Holy Koran is the only evidence one does need to prove that Allah exsists.

So many faiths use this same logic. It's similar to a Christian saying the Bible is enough evidence to prove that God exists. It's the same as a person of any faith saying that their Holy Book proves that their God exists or proves that their faith is the only true faith.

This is a logical fallacy. The documented mythology (Koran, Bible, Holy Book, etc.) of a faith cannot prove the existence of a mythical being (God). This is as much proof as if I claimed that Lewis Carroll's book Aliceĺs Adventures in Wonderland proves the existence of the Mad Hatter.

Believing in God and having a religious faith gives many people comfort, and it also is used as an excuse for many wars and genocidal events through history. However, nobody can prove the existence of God with logical reasoning or empirical evidence. Religions are called "faith" because the beliefs are held strongly by the individual, even though there is no proof to support the belief.

´┐ŻBe who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.´┐Ż
--Dr. Seuss
Ale R.U.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I DO BELIEVE IN ALLAH Reply with quote

beancurdturtle wrote:
loli wrote:
The Holy Koran is the only evidence one does need to prove that Allah exsists.

So many faiths use this same logic. It's similar to a Christian saying the Bible is enough evidence to prove that God exists. It's the same as a person of any faith saying that their Holy Book proves that their God exists or proves that their faith is the only true faith.

This is a logical fallacy. The documented mythology (Koran, Bible, Holy Book, etc.) of a faith cannot prove the existence of a mythical being (God). This is as much proof as if I claimed that Lewis Carroll's book Aliceĺs Adventures in Wonderland proves the existence of the Mad Hatter.

Believing in God and having a religious faith gives many people comfort, and it also is used as an excuse for many wars and genocidal events through history. However, nobody can prove the existence of God with logical reasoning or empirical evidence. Religions are called "faith" because the beliefs are held strongly by the individual, even though there is no proof to support the belief.

So, I want know the follow:
In what do you believe???
so, what is the reason of some people for give everything for a thing that isnot real( God for me)
you think that the world was created for a chance!!!
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: I DO BELIEVE IN ALLAH Reply with quote

Ale R.U. wrote:

1. In what do you believe???
2. so, what is the reason of some people for give everything for a thing that isnot real( God for me)
3. you think that the world was created for a chance!!!

1. You ask "In what do you believe?" - regarding what?

2. Fear of the unknown. The greatest motivator of humanity is fear - we even fear what we don't know or understand (which is a waste of energy). So we create beliefs and faith to shelter ourselves from our fear of the unknown.

3. I don't think about why or how the world was created, because the answer is irrelevant to my existence today. I also don't think about what happens to me after death for the same reason.

´┐ŻBe who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.´┐Ż
--Dr. Seuss
Ale R.U.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I DO BELIEVE IN ALLAH Reply with quote

beancurdturtle wrote:
Ale R.U. wrote:

2. so, what is the reason of some people for give everything for a thing that isnot real( God for me)

2. Fear of the unknown. The greatest motivator of humanity is fear - we even fear what we don't know or understand (which is a waste of energy). So we create beliefs and faith to shelter ourselves from our fear of the unknown.

3. I don't think about why or how the world was created, because the answer is irrelevant to my existence today. I also don't think about what happens to me after death for the same reason.

So, you just think in enjoy the moment.
In contrast, I think that we have something more important that only a moment, because if those was of another way, what would be the reason of to live???
This dont have value.
Because will finished so fast...
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: why do so many people believe in GoD Reply with quote

Ale R.U. wrote:
beancurdturtle wrote:
Ale R.U. wrote:

1. So, you just think in enjoy the moment.
2. In contrast, I think that we have something more important that only a moment, because if those was of another way, what would be the reason of to live???
3. This dont have value.
4. Because will finished so fast...

1. No, you have a misconception. If you want to know what my values are, and what I think is the correct way to live, you can read about it here:
http://beancurdturtle.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!7F4DDF0128A6C7C0!2023.entry

2. I live "in the moment" because there is nothing more important than doing the right thing - with no selfish expectations - in every moment we live, and every decision we make.

3. Read what is important to me, then answer honestly. Do you really think my life has no value?

4. Finish fast? I think perhaps you are still a young man.

If you live life without faith and with integrity, you have to demand a higher standard and more care in your decisions and in how you care for others. I am responsible and accountable for my thoughts and actions.

I don't have the convenience that some others lean on. What a luxury it must be to make wrong decisions and then ask God for forgiveness. What a convenient excuse for being less than good and responsible.

How can you so easily dismiss my way of life and judge me to have no values? Do you really think my life has no value?

--Dr. Seuss
Ale R.U.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: why do so many people believe in GoD Reply with quote

[quote="beancurdturtle"][quote="Ale R.U."][quote="beancurdturtle"]
Ale R.U. wrote:

1. No, you have a misconception. If you want to know what my values are, and what I think is the correct way to live, you can read about it here:
http://beancurdturtle.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!7F4DDF0128A6C7C0!2023.entry

2. I live "in the moment" because there is nothing more important than doing the right thing - with no selfish expectations - in every moment we live, and every decision we make.

3. Read what is important to me, then answer honestly. Do you really think my life has no value?

4. Finish fast? I think perhaps you are still a young man.

If you live life without faith and with integrity, you have to demand a higher standard and more care in your decisions and in how you care for others. I am responsible and accountable for my thoughts and actions.

I don't have the convenience that some others lean on. What a luxury it must be to make wrong decisions and then ask God for forgiveness. What a convenient excuse for being less than good and responsible.

How can you so easily dismiss my way of life and judge me to have no values? Do you really think my life has no value?

I dont think that you dont have values, because I can judge you, Beacuse I dont meet you.

But thinking in the things that you write I think that you are a good person trying of the same way that me, to do of the better way the things and this is admirable. yes, you have reason still I am young, but in my life are so important the principles, for this reason I want know more about the persons nad your beliefs.

ありがとう
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: why do so many people believe in GoD Reply with quote

Ale R.U. wrote:
I dont think that you dont have values, because I can judge you, Beacuse I dont meet you.

But thinking in the things that you write I think that you are a good person trying of the same way that me, to do of the better way the things and this is admirable. yes, you have reason still I am young, but in my life are so important the principles, for this reason I want know more about the persons nad your beliefs.

ありがとう

Thank you for your understanding and acceptance.

I don't say you are young as a criticism. I thought you were young because you said life could go fast. As we live longer we realize that life is long. Very Happy

I wish you a long and full life - with much joy.

--Dr. Seuss
Ale R.U.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: why do so many people believe in GoD Reply with quote

beancurdturtle wrote:

But still, I have some questions for you:

What is the reason for the people in to believe in God, if they are too many I dont think that be just for a blind faith, becuase I think that should have some more in the life, in the world because everything in the enviroment is perfect, less the humans, who are the responsable of the pollution ant the anther bad things.

So, what do you think about???
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: why do so many people believe in GoD Reply with quote

Ale R.U. wrote:
beancurdturtle wrote:

But still, I have some questions for you:

What is the reason for the people in to believe in God.
So, what do you think about???

Because people are uncomfortable when they don't have an explanation for something - fear of the unknown.

If they don't have an explanation for something they can say "It's God's will."

That's my thought at least - and I could be wrong. Smile

--Dr. Seuss
ad-miral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Believing in God" is just a habit of people to portray something. For example in physics, we need a ideal model in our head to describe the regularities. Similarily, people use "God" as their ideal model for the unknown things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> The Strange and Mysterious All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: