Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you thinks about the world-wide water crisis????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monica marin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: What do you thinks about the world-wide water crisis???? Reply with quote

Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm M�nica. I'm from Costa Rica....... I think that the water is not going away to finish but I think that in a moment we will not be able to take water to be so contaminated.........most possible it is than a war by water happens............
Could be the water is more expensive that the refuel Question Question
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think fresh water will be very valuable one day.
Basically, the oil will run out, we won't have an alternative energy source to purify water, and the fresh water will be a very limited quantity...

Maybe I'll keep a few bottles in my pantry. They'll be worth a lot someday soon.
pugachevV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day someone will kill you for such bottles!
flying_pig319

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugachevV wrote:
One day someone will kill you for such bottles!

On the contrary! One day someone will spare my life for such bottles!
monica marin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the solution to the water problem is not keeping water in bottles. Instead, we should save the water we have by decreasing the amount of liters per person that is consumed, especially in the occidental part of the World, where the water is only taken care for the price, and not for the real importance that it have.
BourneNOIR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The polar ice caps, glaciers, Antarctica, icebergs are sources of fresh water. Water is far more "renewable" than petroleum. I don't really see the crisis for fresh water. Yes, there are places in the world that need fresh water, but those can be solved by international aid and development of water extraction and transport technologies.

Over 70% of the earth's surface is water. While seawater is not drinkable, fresh water can be extracted by desalinization and distillation. Unless the earth suddenly loses gravity and the atmosphere, water will pretty much stay around (as it has for millions of years).

Petroleum, coal, and natural gas are the result of millions of years of decomposing organic substance plus earth's pressure, etc. (oversimplification). Unless we're willing to wait another couple of millions of years or so, over consumption is a crisis.

Remember the conservation of mass and energy? Living things need water and when they die, the cells release water back into nature. Yes, water may be contaminated someday, but fresh water can still be extracted. The petroleum, coal, and natural gas we use to help with the extraction and purification process may run out someday, but are we forgetting the number one source of almost all energy � the sun? Sun can evaporate water for use in distillation.

(wow - my 100th post!)
Bob S.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a saying from the Old West:
Whiskey is for drinkin'; water is for fightin' over.
monica marin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldnt be appropiate to obtein water from the glaciers, it would mean that the Earth is defrosting. The people contaminate the rivers, that are our source of water. It could be easier to stop contaminating them
asterix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many cities bordering the Great Lakes in Canada and USA get their drinking water from those lakes. They also dump their treated and untreated sewage into the lakes and industrial pollution as well.
Personally, I find it disgusting that they are still doing this.
We can put a man on the moon, but we still crap in our drinking water.
How smart is that?
monica marin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think is a world problem besause in latin america the problem is more than that, for example, in my country, the water needs a treatment before you get drink or using for a cleaning activities, and these is just an example but in the latinamerican contries is worst the condition and we are loosing our future
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is better not to think too much about where we are getting our drinking water from.
Luckily, so far, we not only drink fresh water, but also have bath and wash our clothes with it. In India that is.
In my mother's house, they use only fresh water and nothing else (even in toilets).
CP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monica marin wrote:
It wouldnt be appropiate to obtein water from the glaciers, it would mean that the Earth is defrosting. The people contaminate the rivers, that are our source of water. It could be easier to stop contaminating them

I agree. We need to leave the glaciers alone and we need to quit polluting our waterways. The snow and rain that fill our rivers and lakes is pure water, but we contaminate it and then can't use it. Whose brilliant idea was that?
Bob S.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP wrote:
The snow and rain that fill our rivers and lakes is pure water, but we contaminate it and then can't use it. Whose brilliant idea was that?
The people upstream who want their poop to go away. Mad (Said the guy living downstream near the coast. Sad )
andykang

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally,I think it isn't smart that setting out to purge the polluted water,
after the fresh water has been contaminated by us. though we could make
fresh water by many ways,which is still based on consume of other material. therefore, I believe it is important that reducing the waste of fresh water source and quit contaminating them.
getty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Japan, we can drink water anytime we wish. I think it is very happy Exclamation

But on the other hand, there are certain people who think it is natural.

Today, there are many people who can't drink enough water when they want to drink, all over the world.

We have to keep in mind about this fact at every moment.

I'm sorry my poor english Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: