Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the latest book you've read?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mirea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: What's the latest book you've read? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

what is the latest book you have read recently? What was it about? Did you like it or was it boring?

The latest book I've read is "The Bourne Identity" by Robert Ludlum. Wow, what a page-turner, I could hardly put it down. It's completely different from the movie, I would say it's even better, although I really liked the movie.
mori0114

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: My favorite book Reply with quote

Hi!! I'm a Japanese student. I have liked reading books from my childhood. Till lately, I couldn't read books because I was busy with school exercise. I have a lot of things to do every day except reading. However, we had a promotion of book reading in school two months ago, and I chose one book to read; "The Old Man and the Sea", written by Ernest Hemingway. I was so moved by this book! I like the main character, an old man named Santiago. He is brave, strong and sturdy, but he sometimes shows us human weakness. I thought he is very lovable. I recommend you try and read this book.
What is your latest book? Smile Smile
simplyblessedwithlove

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the latest book you've read? Reply with quote

Mirea wrote:
Hi everyone,

what is the latest book you have read recently? What was it about? Did you like it or was it boring?

The latest book I've read is "The Bourne Identity" by Robert Ludlum. Wow, what a page-turner, I could hardly put it down. It's completely different from the movie, I would say it's even better, although I really liked the movie.

I salut you! I could not get through even more than five pages of that book. It was thick and dry to me. Sad
hiroki-0906

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A book I have read recently is "girl's blue" Do you know ??
It shows about "now" and "oneself" There are comedy. It is very fun Smile
dasa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by Jane Austen yesterday, I read it in original because i will need it for university exams. At first it was difficult to understand the old English, with the strange grammar and expressions which are not used any more Rolling Eyes , but then i got into it and I enjoyed it so much!!
It's quite a romantic story with a happy end...so rather for girls, i guess Wink
Sarraa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently reading Eldest, the second book from the Inheritance Trilogy by Christopher Paolini. It's quite a good book so far, but I found the first book (Eragon) more enjoyable.
In general, I'm not much into SciFi and make believe, but it's an enjoyable read.
Ayita20

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sarraa: Very Happy

The most recently book that I have red was Brida, from Paulo Coelo, a very famous Brazilian writer (at least here in America), it deals about a girl and how did she found her twin soul, for me it was very interesting, and I learned a lot from it.

What does "Eldest" deal about? I have never listened about Christopher Paolini before, but I want to Cool

I believe that is very unbelievable that there are people who are able to write many books, don�t you think so? Actually, I cannot write too much. How about you Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sarraa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a review of Eragon, the first book of the trilogy:

When Eragon finds a polished blue stone in the forest, he thinks it is the lucky discovery of a poor farm boy; perhaps it will buy his family meat for the winter. But when the stone brings a dragon hatchling, Eragon realizes he has stumbled upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself. Overnight his simple life is shattered, and he is thrust into a perilous new world of destiny, magic, and power. With only an ancient sword and the advice of an old storyteller for guidance, Eragon and the fledgling dragon must navigate the dangerous terrain and dark enemies of an Empire ruled by a king whose evil knows no bounds. Can Eragon take up the mantle of the legendary Dragon Riders? The fate of the Empire may rest in his hands. . . .

and this is the review about Eldest:

Darkness falls�despair abounds�evil reigns�

Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have just saved the rebel state from destruction by the mighty forces of King Galbatorix, cruel ruler of the Empire. Now Eragon must travel to Ellesm�ra, land of the elves, for further training in the skills of the Dragon Rider: magic and swordsmanship. Soon he is on the journey of a lifetime, his eyes open to awe-inspiring new places and people, his days filled with fresh adventure. But chaos and betrayal plague him at every turn, and nothing is what it seems. Before long, Eragon doesn�t know whom he can trust.

Meanwhile, his cousin Roran must fight a new battle�one that might put Eragon in even graver danger.

Will the king�s dark hand strangle all resistance? Eragon may not escape with even his life. . . .

http://www.alagaesia.com/

I agree with you. I don't get how people can fantasize and think of so many different stories to write about- I really have no sense of imagination, I'd never be able to write a fantasy.
I love writing though, as much as I do reading, but I can only write if I have a lot to say in my mind.
sidpunk87

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: What's the latest book you've read? Reply with quote

Mirea wrote:
Hi everyone,

The latest book I've read has been the lady and the unicorn by Tracy Chevalier. It's quite an interesting book. Has anyone of you read it?
Ellie-The-Vampiress

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Crucible - Arthur Miller

It's about the witch trials in Salem, and is a bit more mature. A very good read so far, but it has fairly complicated language.
Cristi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last book I've read is The Tunnel but Ernesto S�bato. Great one!

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear."
Mark Twain.
ad-miral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know "the crucible". It's about bad people who burn women because they think they are witches.
VegeSoupy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just finished The Rouge of the North by Eileen Chang,a story about the life a woman.
cid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.A cool book,recommended to be read by everyone.

Also i'm reading Twisted by John Deaver.Also another tremendous literature book.The book is made up of short stories so you won't be reading about one thing only.
Cristi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cid wrote:
i just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.A cool book,recommended to be read by everyone.

Also i'm reading Twisted by John Deaver.Also another tremendous literature book.The book is made up of short stories so you won't be reading about one thing only.

Oh Cid...

I got to tell you that I also read the Deathly Hallows and it disappointed me terribly... Sad

Anyway, I recommend you guys to read Crime and Punishment, by Dostoievsky. That's a great great great book, quite old too. Smile

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear."
Mark Twain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: