Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is USA police of the world ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vallop

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Is USA police of the world ? Reply with quote

Smile Hi I am thai.
Cool My name is Vallop . Form the part,America is the police of the world. Because when other country have a problem them clear by America.
But in the present time.I think.From America attack Iraq America want to be a head of the world and America do not want other country have a force equal America .I think. finally I do not like America Twisted Evil

Last edited by vallop on Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Diana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: I guess having Saddam is better? Reply with quote

I guess having Saddam in power is better? Perhaps, you should ask the Iraqi people how they feel about the US-led war in Iraq. After all, it is their own country.

http://healingiraq.blogspot.com/

The above weblink is from Iraq and monitored by Zeyad, an Iraqi citizen living in Bagdad.
Theory

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the actions of the Iraqi people, they do not exactly seem ecstatic about the presence of the US in their country. No doubt they are pleased to be rid of Saddam, but at what cost? And has he been replaced with a lesser evil? Time will tell. The US is just unbelievably arrogant to think they can walk into a country, bomb it to bits and be welcomed as heroic, especially when their actions are so transparantly motivated by self interest.
Diana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theory wrote:
Judging by the actions of the Iraqi people, they do not exactly seem ecstatic about the presence of the US in their country. No doubt they are pleased to be rid of Saddam, but at what cost? And has he been replaced with a lesser evil? Time will tell. The US is just unbelievably arrogant to think they can walk into a country, bomb it to bits and be welcomed as heroic, especially when their actions are so transparantly motivated by self interest.

Unfortunately, you are judging only the actions of the few or minority. According to all the polls I've come across A LARGE MAJORITY OF IRAQIS want the United States and the coalition to stay and help them rebuid their country. The terrorists who are giving the US and the coalition a difficult time only constitute a few of the Iraqis along with a few foreign fighters from neighboring Arab countries. With Saddam gone, the Iraqis are now getting into the Internet and voicing their opposition against the Saddam supporters and the foreign Arabs entering their country. They are now expressing their own opinions. Below is a post by an Iraqi citizen from Bagdad taken from the same weblink I provided in my previous post. I think the world outside of Iraq should listen to the Iraqis. After all, it is their country and have more say in it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, November 22, 2003
Anti-terrorism demonstrations on December 10th
I found out yesterday on local tv (IMN) that the GC working together with Iraqi civil unions, provincial councils, prominent tribal leaders, clerics, and various political parties and organizations across the country are making preparations for large nationwide demonstrations condemning terrorism in Iraq on December 10th. I mentioned something about it before but I wasn't aware of the exact date. I also didn't hear anyone mention this in other media outlets as far as I know. The ministry of interior will provide adequate protection for demonstrators in coordination with coalition forces. I will keep you updated on other details as soon as I get them.

The only thing I can say is its about damn time. It would be great if someone can organize similar rallies on the same date in the US and Europe to show support and empathy for victims of terrorism in Iraq and the rest of the world. I can only ask you to spread the word about this.

I was ashamed and depressed watching those brainwashed and deluded demonstrators in London carrying signs calling for abandoning Iraq and for an end to aggression. While I can understand people who hold peaceful principles against wars in general but nevertheless wish to see Iraq free and prosperous, I fail to understand the logic behind the thinking that appeasing and understanding terrorists will make this world a better place. It was all the same 'No blood for oil', 'Not in my name', 'Bush is Hitler', 'Stop the war', 'End the occupation', 'Bring the troops home' nonsense over and over again. It was almost like one of our masira's in the dark times of the previous regime. If those people truly dislike Bush they should have kept their mouths shout about other issues which they can never understand and sticked to anti-Bush slogans. The only thing that warmed my heart was watching different self-respecting people carrying banners that said 'Mr. Bush you are most welcome, this lot does not speak for me'. I ditto that and add that this lot surely does not speak for Iraqis either. I'm sure Saddam is proud of you and clapping his hands in glee watching from whatever gutter he is hiding in right now. The fact that Al-Arabiyah station decicated two whole hours covering these demonstration while not a single subtitle about the anti-terrorism crowds marching in Iraq only disgusted me the more.

I guess those demonstrators chose to ignore the hundreds of innocent Turk Muslims and Jews that were killed and maimed the last few days in Istanbul, the Italian peacekeepers in Nassiriyah, the Lebanese families in Saudi Arabia, the Iraqi police, school children, UN and Red Cross workers in Baghdad, the Iraqis that were praying in Najaf, the Spanish tourists in Casablanca, the demonstrating students in Iran, and decided to spill tears for the poor Iraqi militants, the innocent Taliban, and the peace loving leaders of Hamas and Islamic Jihad. Why the hypocricy? Why the double standards? Someone seriously needs to teach these people the mechanisms of cause and effect. They are having it all jumbled up in their topsy-turvy view of the world. I can only say SHAME on you.

Even Salam Pax describes Gaith's dissapointment with the demonstrators as 'wickedly funny', I fail to see what exactly is amusing Salam in Gaith's words, and I think Salam is only making a fool of himself by attending these demonstrations if it were true. While I agree with Salam about some points regarding the post war planning part, I don't see anything helpful in marching with people against Bush and who think that Saddam should have remained in power. Come one Salam, if it weren't for that jolly old chap you refer to as Georgie you wouldn't be enjoying your freedom in London writing for the Guardian now would you my friend? Nevertheless enjoy your trip and wish you a safe return.

# posted by zeyad : 7:00 PM
genkiguy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana...I agree with everything that "Iraqi" said in that post, but I get the feeling it was written by a native speaker of english -- just a thought cause its late and I'm tired.
I haven't explored your link so I could be talking out my arse here....what do you think????
Diana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Iraqi Blog. Reply with quote

Yes, I noticed his use of the English language. This Iraqi person Zayed told about himself in his weblink. He stated that he is a sunni muslim; however, he also admitted that he did not suffer as much as the Kurds and Shi ite muslims, and I wonder if that has anything to do with why he is able to speak English well. He also admitted that he has seen many Iraqis suffer under Saddam's regime. In another discussion forum, I also met an Iraqi female who was able to travel in and out of Iraq. She also spoke English very well. She grew up in Iraq and later moved to New Zealand and later to Europe. Unfortuantely, she saw nothing wrong with Saddam and didn't believe the things being said about him. In her post on February before the US-led war in Iraq, she told me that her relatives in Iraq never say anything was wrong with Saddam, and she still kept in touch with her relatives in Iraq. Ironically, AFTER the war, I haven't heard from her. I guess her relatives in Iraq were able to tell her the truth about Saddam now that the tyrant is gone!

There is another Iraqi in another weblink called "Iraqthemodel" and it is posted by an Iraqi named Omar. Omar doesn't speak as well as Zayed. He made more grammatical and spelling errors in his post. Also, the way he writes shows that he hasn't fully mastered the English language. Zayed, on the other hand, seems to have a better grasp of the English language. I've learned through these blogs that both these individuals know each other in Bagdad and are friends. At any rate, I've just emailed Zayed through his weblink and asked how he learned English. I am hoping that he will respond soon.
Diana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Iraqi research. Reply with quote

After doing some research on the Iraqi people, I was surprised to find that the Iraqis are familiar with English. I also came across a news report that Saddam did allow some Iraqis (especially those of influential families) to utilize the Internet; however, he monitored and censored their e-mails. The following information is what I found in the weblink:

http://www.culturalorientation.net/iraqi/icult.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knowledge of English

Because of Iraq's connections with Britain over the last century, English has for some time been the Western language of choice among Iraqis. Most educated Iraqis will have at least a limited ability to speak English, although it might turn out that they read much more than they can say or understand. Those who have studied English in Iraq will gain conversational English relatively quickly if they are given opportunities to use the English they have learned.
Nemesis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess having Saddam is better? Reply with quote

[quote="Diana"]I guess having Saddam in power is better?

Good propaganda question. I guess with that reasoning the US can pre-emptively fight a war against any dictator it doesn't like as long as whoever replaces the dictator is "better" than the deposed dictator.

Is Cuba next? North Korea?

What happens if someone says George Bush's replacement wouldn't be "better?" I would welcome that replacement.
Nemesis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana, your long winded regurgations of all the propaganda you are being spoon fed are rather embarrassing.

Do you know how to think critically?
Nemesis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"With Saddam gone, the Iraqis are now getting into the Internet and voicing their opposition against the Saddam supporters and the foreign Arabs entering their country. They are now expressing their own opinions. " Diana

While the Elite Regime is supposedly building "democracy" in Iraq, it is supressing dissent in America. What do you think the Homeland Security and the Patriot Acts I and II are all about - more freedom for Americans?

Get real Diana.

Nemesis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Yawn!!!! Reply with quote

And how is the US suppressing dissent, Nemesis? I see that you are still able to express your own opinions and criticize the US government. True suppression comes when I don't hear from you at all. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: