Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pork and Split-Pea Soup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Food
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Pork and Split-Pea Soup Reply with quote

I cooked an old American standard last weekend, with a couple extra flavors of my own.

Ingredients:
1/2 pound salt pork
1 jalape�o pepper
1 large yellow onion
1/2 pound carrot bits
1/2 bunch of celery
1 pound dried split-peas
1 bottle of beer
1 pound smoked ham hocks
1 cup dried orange lentils

Chop the salt pork in half inch strips.
Thin slice the end of the pointy end of the jalape�o pepper, the stem side has too much heat.
Rough cube the onion.
Chop the end 1/2 of the celery in about 1/4 inch slices, including the leaf.

Get a pig pot. Toss in the salt pork and jalape�o slices and cook them up real hot. This extracts the pork-fat from the salt pork, crisps up the pork belly, and diffuses the heat from the jalape�o through the pork-fat. You need the pork-fat to caramelize the other vegetables.

Toss in the onion, carrot bits, and celery. Leave the fire nice and hot and stir it constantly - keep it moving. This "caramelizes" the vegetables - the natural sugar is drawn to the surface and browns and sweetens.

Toss in the split-peas when the veggies are done and stir another couple minutes. This toasts the split-peas a little for a rich flavor.

Pour in the bottle of beer and stir it up good for a minute or so. This de-glazes the toasted layer off the bottom of the pan so the caramelized flavors get in the soup.

Add the smoked ham hocks and two quarts of water.

Add the lentils, lower the heat, let it cook. I like the lentils for flavor, and they make the soup less sweet.

Now it's done. Some people like it thick like this - some like it with more water like soupy. Either way is good for me.

Get a bowl and some good bread... and eat up!

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
Helen.wan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,delicious food,I really like that.It seems so good.May I have a taste? Razz
And good direction,I will learn how to cook that,but I'm really not good at cooking. Crying or Very sad
tracy6789

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not good at drinking. Does this dish can make people intoxicated,
I saw a lot of beef! Laughing
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen.wan wrote:
Wow,delicious food,I really like that.It seems so good.May I have a taste? Razz
And good direction,I will learn how to cook that,but I'm really not good at cooking. Crying or Very sad

You may have a taste - but it's all gone now. Come over to the US and vist and I will make some - anyone is welcome.

Becoming good at cooking is like becoming good at making love. You should be enthusiastic, unafraid to try new things, and practice a lot. Haha! Ask the love expert, RedRose.

tracy6789 wrote:
I am not good at drinking. Does this dish can make people intoxicated,
I saw a lot of beef! Laughing

Don't worry, you will not get intoxicated. The boiling point for alcohol is 173.1�F or 78.4�C - so it all evaporates. Before it evaporates though, alcohol releases flavors - especially flavors trapped in oil - into the water of the soup that you can't get with just water.

That's not beef, it's pork. Smile

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
tracy6789

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beancurdturtle wrote:

Don't worry, you will not get intoxicated. The boiling point for alcohol is 173.1�F or 78.4�C - so it all evaporates. Before it evaporates though, alcohol releases flavors - especially flavors trapped in oil - into the water of the soup that you can't get with just water.

That's not beef, it's pork. Smile

I'm sorry. I say beer, not beef. I spell it wrong.
Thank you for your detailed explanation. Very Happy
Dixie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question, beardcurdturtle: Did you take all those photos just to show us? Laughing
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dixie wrote:
Just a question, beardcurdturtle: Did you take all those photos just to show us? Laughing

Yes, for a simple recipe.

It's only 10 photos. When I went to Ireland I took 1400 photos in 8 days. Very Happy

--Dr. Seuss
Dixie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beancurdturtle wrote:

It's only 10 photos. When I went to Ireland I took 1400 photos in 8 days. Very Happy

Shocked Shocked You must really like photography Exclamation I spent 10 days between London and San Francisco last month and I took an overall of 387 pictures. I thought it was a lot, but now I see it wasn't at all Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Food All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: