Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you believe in marriage life?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Do you believe in marriage life? Reply with quote

I see many people do not believe in marriage. They prefer to just stay together more and more but isn't it going to ruin the thousand years of good human norm and the way of life? What about your parents?

What do you think about marriage?

Or you just want to live together?
garfield_jesse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course i want to get married. Living together...does it the same meaning with re-trying married?
hoshi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my dreams is to get maried some day. I want to start a family
Tone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garfield..

Your signature and opinion look conflict to me.. Laughing

Anyway, I think it's a good point that marriage and living together should be the same meaning.

For me, I think they are totally different but the world is changing and people tend to just live together more and more.
RedRose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Do you believe in marriage life? Reply with quote

Tone wrote:
but isn't it going to ruin the thousand years of good human norm and the way of life? What about your parents?

What do you think about marriage?

Or you just want to live together?

What do you mean by good human norm and the way of life? just because marriage is the way the majority live, so it's a good norm? for everyone? I don't think so. I think marriage should be a choice for everyone, if you love it, you can choose it, if you don't, then you don't have to take it.

My parents have been living a perfect marriage life, but that dosen't mean I have to follow their step. Everyone has different explanation for happiness. Depends on your personality, your lifestyle, your hobby...

As for me, I got married before, but now I am a happy single woman, and I don't wanna lose my freedom by getting marriage again. I like dating more than I love marriage, so I don't wanna get marriage again.

Again, the world should be colorful, not unitary. so we should have our rights to choose our lifestyle. as long as our choice dosen't hurt anyone else, then it's ok. that's supposed to be a sign of an advanced society.
ad-miral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad mr. turtle would be very sad to hear about this Laughing
brunette

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very sad fact here is that if you don't get married in due course, you tend to feel pressure from your friends, parents, the whole society as well as yourself, the same pressure you tend to feel when you actually get married, but without any intention of starting a family. I mean, there are people here who stay single all their lives, and there are couples who insist on not having children. They are, leagally, free to choose their way of life, but they all have to face up to the enormous pressure: being viewed as special (most time self-righteous), selfish, childish, and worst of all, being predicted as having a miserable life when old, and thus being persuaded over and over again by their relatives and friends to "settle down". Not many people can stand this pressure for long.
RedRose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brunette wrote:
A very sad fact here is that if you don't get married in due course, you tend to feel pressure from your friends, parents, the whole society as well as yourself, the same pressure you tend to feel when you actually get married, but without any intention of starting a family. I mean, there are people here who stay single all their lives, and there are couples who insist on not having children. They are, leagally, free to choose their way of life, but they all have to face up to the enormous pressure: being viewed as special (most time self-righteous), selfish, childish, and worst of all, being predicted as having a miserable life when old, and thus being persuaded over and over again by their relatives and friends to "settle down". Not many people can stand this pressure for long.

You exactly discribed the situation of Asian society about marriage! yeah, here in Asia, we don't actually have freedom to choose our lifestyle, when we insist on our choice, we have to receive a great deal of pressure from society, parents, friends, even ourselves. and that's exactly why I finally got married! Mostly, we don't want to be regarded as the minority. we ain't always brave enough to resist the pressure and tradition, in that case we have to give up our own beloved lifestyle. and that's a worthless sacrifice. but we just can't help it. therefore, when I bend over to the society, the tradition, and all the pressure, I always feel very weak, and I would realize that an individual is very helpless when facing the powerful reality.

However, after I got married, I felt very painful, and I deeply knew that's not what kind of life I wanted. for this reason, I won't get into marriage again. In the world, marriage is necessary for some peope, but not for everyone.

admiral wrote:
mr. turtle would be very sad to hear about this

Come on! Turtle is in the same boat as me Exclamation Very Happy
ad-miral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedRose wrote:
brunette wrote:

You exactly discribed the situation of Asian society about marriage! yeah, here in Asia, we don't actually have freedom to choose our lifestyle, when we insist on our choice, we have to receive a great deal of pressure from society, parents, friends, even ourselves. and that's exactly why I finally got married! Mostly, we don't want to be regarded as the minority. we ain't always brave enough to resist the pressure and tradition, in that case we have to give up our own beloved lifestyle. and that's a worthless sacrifice. but we just can't help it. therefore, when I bend over to the society, the tradition, and all the pressure, I always feel very weak, and I would realize that an individual is very helpless when facing the powerful reality.

However, after I got married, I felt very painful, and I deeply knew that's not what kind of life I wanted. for this reason, I won't get into marriage again. In the world, marriage is necessary for some peope, but not for everyone.

admiral wrote:
mr. turtle would be very sad to hear about this

Come on! Turtle is in the same boat as me Exclamation Very Happy

Laughing So in the end, turtle and you are both in the same boat as me, because you all want to be monks. Laughing Laughing Laughing Even more than me
RedRose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never wanna be a monk. , monk's life is no fun, I remember I mentioned this opinion on another occasion. I enjoy dating, not marriage. I still believe lovelife.
ad-miral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing oh I see you prefer changing bodies... Well I'm little young for this
hoshi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
Tone

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to carefully think before getting marry Laughing Laughing
ad-miral

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can people believe in marriage when there's no need for this? Haha why should we get married, children etc will only be financial expenses.
This generation belongs to us young men Laughing , and we want fun. So we enjoy dating, fun and cheating small defenseless girls. Laughing

Well I just want to live together with a good girl. (only a temporal monk)
Tone

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people want to have kids because they want to have someone take care of them when they are getting old.

I still can't imagine the world in the near future after the baby boomer are all old and no kid or no one taking care of them.

It could be a big disaster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Culture All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: