Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Campus shooting at Virginia Tech University
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BourneNOIR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Campus shooting at Virginia Tech University Reply with quote

A gunman killed more than 30 people and then himself in Virginia Tech - making it the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history. This hit really close to home as I have friends there, good thing they're alright.

Google News Collection

So sad...
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Indian professor was one of those killed, so it made front page news in India.
chi-kei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I heard the news at once, and the reporters said the killer is Asian, I was very shocked. Afterward, it�s claimed that it was made by a Chinese. It was totally unbelievable. I thought if it is any product of �China Threat�. At last, the killer was claimed as a Korean and I was very angry. Can the American classify Japanese, Korean and Chinese clearly? The second things is that how come a outsider will become cold-blooded, did the atmosphere in US force a student be the guy like that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eleniel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't be so angry. If I were you, I'd rather be relieved; how shameful it is to share the same nationality with the shooter! I guess the reason they first assumed the shooter to be Chinese is just because there are many Chinese students in Virginia Tech.. Let's don't make this massacre to expand into racial things. [/u]
chi-kei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eleniel wrote:
Hey, don't be so angry. If I were you, I'd rather be relieved; how shameful it is to share the same nationality with the shooter! I guess the reason they first assumed the shooter to be Chinese is just because there are many Chinese students in Virginia Tech.. Let's don't make this massacre to expand into racial things. [/u]

I am no intension to turn it into a racial topic. The main point I want to express is the news report should take their responsibility and be moral on it. Before they got the reliable information, they should not do like this. At that time they almost confirmed the killer was someone who came from Shang Hai. As you said, I felt shameful too, till to the truth being reported. I think they should responsible for their fault, instead the news report didn�t seem any guilty of their wrong report. To this, I think my angry was reasonable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
asterix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They said he was "Asian" until they knew who he was.
Bob S.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chi-kei wrote:
At last, the killer was claimed as a Korean and I was very angry. Can the American classify Japanese, Korean and Chinese clearly?
What, are you kidding? Of course not!
Average American dealing with geography: "Uh, Hong Kong is a city in Korea where they eat sushi, right?"
Quote:
The second things is that how come a outsider will become cold-blooded, did the atmosphere in US force a student be the guy like that?
The news media have been showing his video manifesto over and over again. Basically this guy was a total whacko, major nut-burger, insane in the membrane. Yeah, I can understand why some S. Koreans might feel a bit embarrassed, but really this kid was as American as the fortune cookie. He may have been born in S. Korea, but he really grew up in America. If his culture factored any way into it, it would have been that his parents were working so hard at their shop, they didn't see how twisted he was becoming, and he was too ashamed to seek professional mental help as he felt his tenuous grip on reality slipping from his grasp.
But really this is an American-made tragedy.
Anuradha Chepur wrote:
An Indian professor was one of those killed, so it made front page news in India.
The news was reading off a list if victims. It seems one of the student victims was also from India. And another was from Egypt. Cho was an equal opportunity murderer.
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was this Indian girl called Minal doing her masters there.
The Indian professor was due for some award for teaching excellence given to only three professors every year.
The US consulate here showed its bit of humanity for the professor's family by instantly clearing visas for them to go to USA to attend his funeral.
chi-kei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American are self-centered and the worst is that they don�t know. They can makes lots of racial mistake, even in Oscar Awards. And the other example is here, it makes us know that they are blind in front of Asian or the race they don�t care.

However, I must correct my sentence. I asked �did the atmosphere in US force a student be the guy like that�, it seems the main reason was caused by atmosphere in US. I think it is unfair to the country probably. To this, I need to mention precisely. US gun control policy need to take the main responsibility to the incident. It�s right. �Gun don�t kill people, but people does.�but who let the person get access to gun shop easily? How can he bought the weapons and killed people? It�s rarely seen in other countries, but US does. In sociology, a macro-structure would affect the micro-person, on this event, the gun policy affected his actions (buy the gun from the shop and massacre).
Eleniel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think what matters the most is the lack of proper supervision on him. Gun policy IS a problem, but there are lots of other ways to commit massacre. He had been showing symptons of psychopath, and I'm really surprised no one actually took close care of him even when he was sent to a clinic. If he went through proper medical treatment with someone watching by him, this incident couldn't have happened...
Oriani

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! it really was horrible!
Bob S.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chi-kei wrote:
...They can makes lots of racial mistake, even in Oscar Awards. And the other example is here, it makes us know that they are blind in front of Asian or the race they don�t care.
And you can tell the difference? Go ahead, take this test and see how well YOU do. (Note, a completely random guess would still get you a 33% score.)

Quote:
US gun control policy need to take the main responsibility to the incident. It�s right. �Gun don�t kill people, but people does.�but who let the person get access to gun shop easily? How can he bought the weapons and killed people? It�s rarely seen in other countries, but US does.
Oh yeah, that's true. The application and background check procedure is a joke. Despite Cho being declared a clear danger to himself and others, there was no attempt to really stop him from getting a hold of lethal weapons. Evil or Very Mad
RedRose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though he has been raised in USA, he still thought he was an Asian, and perhaps their parents had influenced him with some Asian culture. so maybe he didn't fit in.
jvegap223

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Campus shooting at Virginia Tech University Reply with quote

BourneNOIR wrote:
A gunman killed more than 30 people and then himself in Virginia Tech - making it the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history. This hit really close to home as I have friends there, good thing they're alright.

Google News Collection

So sad...

there was a sadnes news, you go the university to study not to lose your life.
chi-kei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bob S."]
chi-kei wrote:
...They can makes lots of racial mistake, even in Oscar Awards. And the other example is here, it makes us know that they are blind in front of Asian or the race they don�t care.
And you can tell the difference? Go ahead, take this test and see how well YOU do. (Note, a completely random guess would still get you a 33% score.)

Indeed, I just got 7marks out of 18 in face test, it means I can not classify clearly by face too. But my words� it makes us know that they are blind in front of Asian or the race they don�t care.� has other meaning of course. I agree that it�s hard to classify the guy from China, Japan, or Korea. To me, it�s hard to classify the European where they came from France, Italy, England, or America. However, it doesn�t mean I don�t respect their countries. Even it�s hard to classify Asian, but the truth is Hong Kong film is different from Japanese firm, it doesn�t even watch the face, but just read the written words in English. The truth in Oscar Award is that they still can confuse with that.

Talk back into this incident, the main point is not that they confused with Korean and Chinese. The most I angry was the news reported it before they had reliable sources. After that, some of the news reporter didn�t commit their fault. Didn�t they know it would harm someone reputation? Do you understand?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: