Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What song is the best for studying English?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aya0109

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: What song is the best for studying English? Reply with quote

I want to study English!
So I will listening song.
So please tell me that what song is best for studying English.
dicivi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Songs for Learning English Reply with quote

You have posed a very tough question. Many songs are sung by people with regional accents, words are frequently slurred to make them fit the melody, the lyrics are often full of slang and colloquialisms and if that wasn't bad enough words are sometimes distorted to make a rhyme. I truly believe that a student of English should not use music as a learning tool.

I would advise looking for video documentaries on the internet. There are many provided by Nova and lots by the BBC. The English here is usually of a high standard and seeing the visual effects makes it easier for the viewer to understand the dialogue.

Lorikeet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think using songs to learn English is another way to enjoy the language, but I wouldn't recommend it as the only thing to do for the reasons given by dicivi. However, I remember singing songs in all the languages I learned. It was fun and it helped. I'd suggest getting some older songs, where you can understand the words! Also, some songs will have the words on the Internet, so you can use that to help too. Some of the more popular songs nowadays are more difficult to understand, and contain a lot of words you might not want to use in a work or school situation. Then again, I'm old, so I don't care for the new stuff too much Wink
ad-miral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend "yesterday" from Beatles because it's easy to sing and makes fun if you play it with the guitar.
dicivi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I don't listen to older ballads anymore I think I would agree with Lorikeet - perhaps you should listen to some music like "Smile" by Tony Bennett, "My Way" by Frank Sinatra and "Moon River" by Barbra Streisand. These artist have good diction and you can catch almost every word. You can find these all on Youtube.

As for the Beatles - I love their music but it's a bit abstract at times. I feel that passages like "...wearing a face in a jar by the door" OR "She is well acquainted with the touch of the velvet hand - like a lizard on a window pane" could be a bit confusing. I'm still trying to sort some of it out!

Jenniferdu521

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah
Learn to sing English song might be a assistant way to learn English, but not the only way.
I like singsing, so I decide to learn some English songs, Although I know they must be very difficult.
Yesterday, I heard a song named "any man of mine" I like it very much and try to learn it.
Hope I can do it!
Demodi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: What song is the best for studying English? Reply with quote

aya0109 wrote:
I want to study English!
So I will listening song.
So please tell me that what song is best for studying English.

Hi I want to recommend three songs with lyrics for you to studying English.
Sin�ad O'Connor - Nothing Compares to you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCC2s_WYqWc
Styx Boat on the river
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16VSqbj9meA

REM. losing my religion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=643PDZne5LE&feature=related
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Music All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: