Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this American Domecracy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
element105

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Hank898989

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: pointless Reply with quote

dude, i cant believe how messed up you have it. Look at it this way, who are the Iraqi prisoners?
next look at how Saddam treated Iraq as a WHOLE!!!! not just the few that were in his prisons but the majority of the country that lived under his tyrannical rule. He made the country shrink in fear, he was the defintion of a tyrant, and it's not like thats a good thing. I agree that the way some prisoners in Iraq are being treated is horrible, but you have to be pretty messed up if you can even THINK of comparing Saddam to us. To specify the extent to which Saddam tourtured the Iraqis aand the extreme difference between the U.S. and Saddam im going to ask a few questions.
HOw many people came out of Abu Gharib not in a casket during Saddams rule?
Did the U.S. use biological weapons on their own people or on the Iraqis?
Are the prisoners in Abu Gharib now being cut, beaten up, and thrown into sewers, or are they being shocked on their genitals?
How well off was Saddam in proportion to the rest of his country?
Is the soccer team being threatened to be beaten up and tourtured if they lose?
How have the Iraq national teams done without Saddam breathing down their necks?
StephenLong

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: why? Reply with quote

nemeh wrote:
I am sure that China is NOT a democracy.

?? why did you say that?
And besides, which country do you come from?

in my mind, "democracy" is something happened to the society once it has developed to some degree, just like the "sex-eagerness" of human beings, if you have not come to that age, you will never have such feelings, so as the so-called "deomcracy".

and besides, what is the purpose of "democracy"? Tell me pls.
If the goverment could provide most of the people in the country the better living, i think THAT'S A GREAT GOVERMENT, no matter it has democracy or not (usually if someone says "not-democracy", he must be a foreinger). ---- unfortunately, as one of the Chinese, i know that Chinese people now have much better living situations than 50 years ago, even sometimes better than some other countries in Europe.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.S. style Democracy is a relatively young form of government compared to human history. It requires a social and economic environment that is synergistic with a democratic philosophy to be successful. This is not a common thing when you examine the world as a whole.

Domocracy in most cases has had very tentative success, and in many cases has been a failure. See what "democracy" has done for Lebanon, Palestine, and Iraq - do you see a net improvement?

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss

Last edited by beancurdturtle on Mon May 21, 2007 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modernization is a young part of human history, of which democracy is a part.
I agree that democracy is full of holes, but till the future comes up with a better alternate, it's the best available choice.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anuradha Chepur wrote:
but till the future comes up with a better alternate, it's the best available choice.

I'm largely in agreement with you. The question being tested now in places like Lebanon, Palestine, and Iraq is - what do you do when the "best available choice" foments a broken nation?

The method of government has to be synergistic with the basic underpinnings of the society - or it will fail. Well, except in the case of brutal dictators like Saddam - where the government succeeds at the people's expense.

Is there a way to construct a democracy that is synergistic with Islam and Sharia law?

You know the history of India and Pakistan. You know how very difficult these issues are to work out.

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss

Last edited by beancurdturtle on Mon May 21, 2007 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
asterix

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that China is moving towards democracy in an intelligent way, and that the life of most of its people has improved under the present system.
It is quite possible to live a full and happy life in a police state, just as long as you don't get caught breaking the rules.
Every government, in reality, runs a police state, as you will soon find out if you are caught breaking any laws. Even Canada, which likes to think it is a kinder gentler version of the USA, has empowered its police to suspend the driving licences of people for 12 hours, without trial or even without appearing before a judge.
This is the sort of thing the western democracies like to sneer at when it happens in places like Russia.
In the case of Iraq, it appears that religion has reared its ugly head.
Religion is touted by its adherents as a force for good, but if you look at the history of the world, you will see that more people have been killed in the name of religion than practically anything else.
This especially true of today.
hoshi

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costa Rica doesn't have an army and it is really great. I think all the world shouldn't have an army
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You know the history of India and Pakistan. You know how very difficult these issues are to work out.

India is a successful secular state! People are free to follow whichever religion they want to, or, not follow any religion at all. But, religion will not interfere in the government.
There are some separate Hindu and Muslim laws pertaining to issues like
marriage and ancestral property, but they don't interfere with the general
administration.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anuradha Chepur wrote:
India is a successful secular state! People are free to follow whichever religion they want to, or, not follow any religion at all.

I know - my best friend is a Christian from India. But your neighboring country Pakistan is not the same. So you can see the difference between a secular state and a state deeply influenced by a religion first hand.

I was not being critical, I was acknowledging that you have a better perspective than most.

--Dr. Seuss
StephenLong

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Anuradha Chepur wrote:
Quote:

India is a successful secular state! People are free to follow whichever religion they want to, or, not follow any religion at all. But, religion will not interfere in the government.
There are some separate Hindu and Muslim laws pertaining to issues like
marriage and ancestral property, but they don't interfere with the general
administration.

Well, so is China.
And now for young people, most belong to no religions, so do me.
my religion is myself.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: .. Reply with quote

StephenLong wrote:

Well, so is China.
And now for young people, most belong to no religions, so do me.
my religion is myself.

I also do not have a religion. This is sometimes difficult when you live in a religious country like mine.

--Dr. Seuss
StephenLong

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle,

really? i felt nothing in my country. maybe....you should change your country. hehe
let's know what happened to you for you un-religion.
and where is red-rose busying in? i am sure no horrible diseases happened in China.
Anuradha Chepur

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Democracy has been off-and-on in Pakistan, and that puts it
much ahead the Arab countries. People are pretty educated and a complete transition cannot be ruled out.
StephenLong

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't mind having democracy or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Culture All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: