Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dragon boat festival

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helen.wan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Dragon boat festival Reply with quote

Dragon boat festival is in order to remember Qu Yuan who was a famous poet and patriotic official of the Chu Kingdom.And he drowned himself in the Miluo River because the king refused to take his advise on important military matters. Rolling Eyes

People were very sad by Qu's death,and made Zongzi ,tossed them into the river and rowed boats like powerful dragons in hopes of scaring fish away from Qu's body.
Confused
So when the dragon boat day is coming,people here will hold a dragon boat competition and make Zongzi.

Recently,I saw a lot of dragon boats in the river which around my company.People rowed the boat very hopping,and every boat has one people to beat the drum. Razz

But today I heard something about the boat and women.One of my colleague told me that women are not allowed to get on the boat.Because they think that the woman will bring unlucky thing to them.So if a woman get on a boat,they will discard the boat as useless.Men have bias on women. Sad
Oh,poor women!! Crying or Very sad
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray!

Me and my son are flying from Southern California to Seattle Washington for a few days.

We'll do some sightseeing and visit University of Washington.

There's a big Asian community in Seattle. Maybe we'll be lucky and see some races on the lake or harbor.

Sunday we will have Chinese Cantonese style (Dim Sum) breakfast. We'll have zhongzi for sure.

I'm not taking a computer, so I'll miss everyone for a few days.

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
Leon Young

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zongzi is the essence of the dragon boat festival as i think,when i eat it i will think of my family and hometowm,when i was a child me and family ate them together.and seems to me now it was very presious.both family and zongzi.
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some very good zhongzi. Very Happy
But there was no dragon boat racing. Sad

�Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.�
--Dr. Seuss
cheetah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's zongzi not zhongzi. Smile
Eating zongzi is good, but eating zongzi that making by yourself is more
interesting. Very Happy
beancurdturtle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheetah wrote:
It's zongzi not zhongzi. Smile
Eating zongzi is good, but eating zongzi that making by yourself is more
interesting. Very Happy

I've made it.

Very delicious.

--Dr. Seuss
sertamin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: dragon boat festival Reply with quote

Hi Helen!

Your wrote interesting a story. I can't believe that it can be an idea which women may put the mocks on that time. You know in the past there were such as this stories so much. I think It shouldn't be vulgar superstition especially for women.
VegeSoupy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe these men want to win...and they thought women cannot help them.This makes the Dragon Boat Racing not so interesting.I think the racing is for fun,not for just winning it.
Bob S.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VegeSoupy wrote:
Maybe these men want to win...and they thought women cannot help them..
Laughing No, really, it is an old superstition found around the world. Women were considered bad luck for ships. In old days, often the only woman allowed on a ship would be the captain's wife. And usually not even her!
ad-miral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob S. wrote:
VegeSoupy wrote:
Maybe these men want to win...and they thought women cannot help them..
Laughing No, really, it is an old superstition found around the world. Women were considered bad luck for ships. In old days, often the only woman allowed on a ship would be the captain's wife. And usually not even her!

bravo! I was always hoping someone saying something against this ugly feminism in this world.
daavidfischer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: nice Reply with quote

Wow I did come across some pictures on the web. This is not simple as it sounds. The intensity of people who come to be part of it is so much that we would barely see the place and the water that surrounds it

----------------------------------------
David Grant
emr interoperability
----------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: