Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

problem in learning englsih
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: I need help Reply with quote

hi ........ mi name is Isis I dont know speak english... So I puertorican girl and I goin to Rhode Island in the next semetre... I need some friends for my english calss . Iam 19 years old and I will need youre help I will realy apreciated you ........... see you Smile Wink
winnie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: internet radio ? Reply with quote

dduck wrote:
Quote:
The entire Sherlock Holmes series is now on audiotape, and the presentation, correctness, and speech is wonderful. You can enjoy yourself listening to these tapes, as well.

How old is this series? Sherlock Holmes uses a lot of intellectual language and sounds "frightfully stuck-up". Wink in my opinion.

I would recommend listening to internet radio, watching DVDs (or VCDs) with subtitles and contemporary audiobooks e.g. Harry Potter.

Surely, the US has something of value to offer? Cool

Iain

hi , dduck ,
i want to ask you , how can i find internet radio ?
winnie
yasu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: first time Reply with quote

i will join this at the first time,i am studying english in aus now.Everyday i watch TV but i can't understand so much Crying or Very sad .so from now i try to watch with a dictionary.thank you!! Very Happy
InBrazil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Problems Learning English Reply with quote

Hi Winnie,

I teach English in Brazil but I also am learning Portuguese so I know what it is like to learn a new language. Sometimes it is not fun.

Here is one idea that works for me learning Portuguese and for my students that are learning English.

Talk as much as you can!! You can learn from watching movies and listening to other people but you will learn fastest by speaking English. Many students worry that they do not speak perfectly so they are afraid to talk. Don't worry about this. You will speak better over time but only if you keep practicing. Making mistakes is a part of learning. If you make a mistake, remember what it was, laugh and keep speaking. If you make learning fun, you will learn faster and enjoy it more.

At least, this has worked for me learning Portuguese.
Rozsika's ESL Development

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Winnie,

If you want to improve your English in writing, a good book to purchase is called ESL Tips: A Guide to Improving Your English. It has learning tips on listening, reading, writing, speaking, pronunciation, TOEIC, TOEFL, verb tenses and more. The website to look at is: www.esltips.com It has methods that will help improve your English in many areas, and gives you ideas how to do that.
aa702

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

thank u for ur advice.
My English is poor last year

but now I improve it a lot.
someday I discovered this forum,
I think I can learn more from from u from now on;
thank u
thank everybody.

I come from china and I always like football

I want to make friends from all over the word
can u accept me
mjbinsanjose

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Problems with English Reply with quote

At the present time I am taking a university course in California. I am in a class group that only has 2 native American speakers out of 11 people in the group. The rest of the people are from Viet Nam, China, and Taiwan. Unfortunately most of the people who were not born in America have extremely poor English skills. We are working on a group written report, but the parts they have written do not make sense in English.

One problem is that in America, we reach a main point, and provide information quickly. The Asian students, by contrast, are very slow to come to a point. They talk about most everything except the main point.

I realize this is a problem of culture. Yet it is extremely frustrating because i may go from an A in this course to a C because my group cannot make themselves undertstood.
pugachevV

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: culture shock! Reply with quote

It seems to me that if you are a native English speaker and you intend to be a teacher, you should start by asserting yourself in this group and teaching them how things are done in the USA.
You will do them and yourself a favour.
winnie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

i haven't been here for a long time !! because i am busy with my study!!
i found that there are many new members !!!! Very Happy
kidari92

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: who knows how to study english fast? Reply with quote

i am studing english now.
dduck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with English Reply with quote

mjbinsanjose wrote:
I realize this is a problem of culture. Yet it is extremely frustrating because i may go from an A in this course to a C because my group cannot make themselves undertstood.

I agree with pugachevV, I would add however that perhaps you should make you tutors aware of the problem and seek advice from them. Perhaps, they will have some helpful suggestion ...

If the worst comes to the worst, you could try appointing yourself as editor, so that you can

1) Set out a common layout for each submission. i.e. explain to the other students how reports are written in the US.
2) Highlight serious problem areas, (i.e. this makes no sense!) and ask for resubmission.
3) Mark up minor corrections and ask for resubmission.

Best of luck!
Iain

Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself.
--Chinese Proverb
JOYCE LIN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: problem in learning englsih Reply with quote

winnie wrote:
people always says there're no short cut to learn english!
and i think that is true!! so i need to work hard!and i think
learning english by watching films is really fantastic!!do u agree?

but i still don't know how to improve my written english! how to build up my own style! can anybody teach me?!

Hi winnie,

I do have problem as you are.
And I totally agree with your opinion.
Take me for example, I enjoy watching movie and TV in English verison.
I could learn some oral English right there.
But for writing, that can't help at all.
As our teacher said, reading is the best way to learn writing.
So that I take lots of literary class to learn more for writing skills.
And hope someday that I could write smoothly.

Joyce Lin
winnie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Joyce,
Thanks for your reply!!! Very Happy
yes , you are right!! reading can help a lot!!
And i will work hard on it !!! Very Happy

by the way , i am interested in those literary classes you've taken! is it really works?
CU
winnie Very Happy
winnie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

Hi InBrazil and Rozsika's ESL Development ,
really , thanks for you two!!!!!! Very Happy
thanks for you both great suggestion and encouragement!!
Also , thanks for the web site that you both gave me!!! i will try to work hard on Englsih !! Very Happy
really , thank you very much!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
CU
winnie Cool
Rita Lin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: problem in learning englsih Reply with quote

Hi Winnie,

I think you already did a good job in your writting.
Smile

You know what? I am afraid to write English.
My major is English right now.
Each time, when I need present my report even just a piece of paper.
I will spend a lot of time to prepare.
However, I couldn't get good score in my writting report.
I almost give it up.

I like to talk English.
Eventhough, my pronunciation is not good enough.
But, I think it's also a good way to improve English.

Rita Lin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: