Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comma and repeated subjectWhic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
takashi_k

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Comma and repeated subjectWhic Reply with quote

Which of the following four sentences is the most normal?

1. I hate to go shopping, but went to market today.
2. I hate to go shopping but went to market today. (No comma exists
between 'shopping' and 'but.'')
3. I hate to go shopping, but I went to market today. (The subject 'I'
is repeated after 'but.'
4. I hate to go shopping but I went to market today. (The same as
2 above.)

Thanks for your help and time.

takashi_k
bud

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that when you start a new clause with "but," you always end the previous clause with a comma. Therefore, 1 or 3 would be the best choice. Both are correct, but 3 is what I would use. It sounds better to my ear. (If the comma is in fact optional, you won't be wrong by using it).

By the way, "to go to market" is correct, but it seems archaic to me. It conjures up the image of a producer (for example, a farmer) bringing his goods to a place where sellers and buyers meet to trade.

Better would be to use "to go to THE market," which would usually mean to go to a supermarket (food store). More generallly, you could use "to go to the mall" or "to go to the stores." I would use this (naming the place) to emphasize WHERE I went shopping if that's what I wanted to stress: "I hate to go shopping, but I went to Macy's in Times Square today!" This would convey that not only did I go shopping, but I even went to an incredibly crowded store.

If I wanted to emphasize the fact that I DID go shopping, and where is unimportant, then I would replace "to go to [wherever]" with "did go." "Did" would be stressed in voice and would emphasize your meaning: "I hate to go shopping, but I DID go today!"

I know that's more than you asked, but I hope it answered your question.

PS: It could be that "to go to market" is still used outside of the northeast U.S. Perhaps someone else will add their thoughts.
marksesl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: to market Reply with quote

"Going to market" would suggest to me animals being sent off to be slaughtered: "We're sending the pigs to market" Certainly, "to THE market" is correct American English.

However, I wouldn't use "market" to mean "supermarket." I believe that that's the distinction: a market is small and a supermarket is big, so why call a supermarket a market? Where I grew up in Kansas, we usually just called supermarkets "stores;" "I'm going to the store, do you want anything?" We would sometimes say "I'm going to the supermarket" though.

I would like for people to post some message on my grammar forum at:
http://eslwideworld.com/forums/cgi/access/grammar_help.cgi

Bye, Mark McDowell
dduck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Comma and repeated subjectWhic Reply with quote

takashi_k wrote:
Which of the following four sentences is the most normal?

1. I hate to go shopping, but went to market today.
2. I hate to go shopping but went to market today. (No comma exists
between 'shopping' and 'but.'')
3. I hate to go shopping, but I went to market today. (The subject 'I'
is repeated after 'but.'
4. I hate to go shopping but I went to market today. (The same as
2 above.)

Firstly, perhaps in American English people say "I hate to go shopping..." but I've never noticed it before. In British English people say "I hate shopping...".

I think "went to market" is something that farmers might say. Common usage is "went to the market". However, in BrEng we say "to the shops", in USEng they say "to the store".

So we end up with:

I hate shopping, but I went to the shops today.

Iain

Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself.
--Chinese Proverb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: