Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

links between learning foreign language and foreign culture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Culture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xelloss111

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: links between learning foreign language and foreign culture Reply with quote

Hi everyone. As I'm a Chinese student studying English, our English teacher recently asked us to give our views on the importance of culture learning while studying English. In my point of view, studies in culture should go side by side with studies in the foreign language. The two aspects can stimulate each other and be beneficial for the purpose of language learning. Do you agree with me? I'd like your opinion. Rolling Eyes
pygu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Language Cuture relationship Reply with quote

I agree with you that culture learning should be a part of language learning. But can you give some examples to show the benefits that you have experienced by doing so?

I'm very interested in your culture learning experience. Thanks in advance!
Corey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely. It is difficult to separate a language from its culture. As an example between Spanish and English:

In English: "It doesn't matter to me" [this is a phrase that is usually neutral and without opinion.]

Now the exact translation in Spanish

In Spanish" :No me importa" [in Central America this phrase has a certain negative meaning similar to "I don't care at all about it"]

So you see, if you are English and you say this you could offend someone without knowing it.

Good luck,

Corey
Xelloss111

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for standing on my side. As we know "what" we should pay attention to when learning a foreign language, the question now lies in "how". How can we combine the study of a foreign language with its culture? What's an efficient and effective way of doing so? Can anyone help? Thanks.
Razz
Corey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion the best way (and maybe the only way) to learn about a culture is to visit it. In the case of language learning this means going to a country where the target language is spoken. (i.e. Canada or NZ for English)

Good luck,

Corey
Xelloss111

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that is certainly a good way to learn the target language, but it seems a little unpractical for the majority of fellow students in China. There're millions and millions of talented students (especially those in the countryside) who work extremely hard on language learning but still have terrible accents because they can't afford to pay a visit abroad to study English. Though there may be scholarships, but that's only "a bucket of water for acres of dry land".

Thank you any way for giving your wonderful suggestion.
Very Happy
pygu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Many ways of learning culture Reply with quote

Yes, most Chinese would feel frustrated if they hear that the only way of learning English culture is by going to those English speaking countries. But that doesn't mean there's no way to learn it in one's own culture. With help of today's technology, I think it possible to learn much about English culture from radio, newspaper, TV and the Internet. I saw not a few country boys or girls on some university campus speaking good English with good pronunciation. They said they learned all this mostly from listening to VOA or BBC everyday. Now they use the Internet to learn more about cuture from people from all over the world, just like what we're doing now in this discussion forum. So don't you think there're many ways to learn about culture if you care to explore and make use of the resources around you?

Learning and doing culture is fun!
Corey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I just think you cannot learn about a culture from books. It is something you have to experience.

This does not mean one cannot learn the language however. Very Happy

Good luck,

Corey
Daisy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, I prefer to watching a lot of DVD of original edition and listering many foreign music, then you can learn English very comfortably. Moreover, if you have a foreign friend, you can talk with him/her in English and learn the foreign culture from him/her. Of course, go abroad to see is the best way to learn the foreign culture.

Actually, I am a beginer. Best wishes to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Culture All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: