Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The new face of Dave's ESL Cafe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: The new face of Dave's ESL Cafe Reply with quote

Knock my socks off! All the things have changed... into one that is really like MSN forums. I'm still wondering if I go into the cafe I used to and if I...... Shocked It seems posted messages are all gone.

Too early to call the 'new' design good or not as I am still adapting to the whole new environment. But I would like to hear all of your opinions.
sperling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wing -

The old format was really not powerful enough to run my many forums, so I decided to make the change. The old forums are still around, though .... as long as you have the old address. If not, please email me at [email protected].

All the best,

Dave Sperling
Founder
Dave's ESL Cafe
http://www.eslcafe.com
wing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sperling wrote:
Hi Wing -

The old format was really not powerful enough to run my many forums, so I decided to make the change. The old forums are still around, though .... as long as you have the old address. If not, please email me at [email protected].

All the best,

Dave Sperling
Founder
Dave's ESL Cafe
http://www.eslcafe.com

Thank you very much for your replieS, Dave. Yes, I can pop in the old one and read all I have not yet read.
But will you cancel the old one?

Best regards
pugachevV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: pretty quiet Reply with quote

Hi Wing, Dave and co.,
It seems pretty quiet in here but I guess it will pick up eventually. I think Chinese New Year (Spring Festival?) is coming up in a couple of weeks so perhaps the Asian kids are doing exams or, maybe, on holidays.
I guess the new year is going to be the year of the horse, 4700?
wing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: A problem with my previous posting Reply with quote

Hi PugachevV,
Probably it is due to some useful extras on the new forums that are quite new to posters. Yes, the kids are busy with the exams and prepared for the biggest Chinese holiday. The first day of this Chinese New Year, a.k.a. Spring Festival, is on February 1st, starting the year of the 'Ram' and sending out the old year of the 'Horse'. (What do you mean by '4700'?) Before the New Year arrives, every Chinese family spend about a week buying presents, decoration material, food, clothing, and giving its house a thorough cleaning to make it ready for in-coming luck. (We cannot do any sweeping during New Year's Eve for fear that all the good luck would be swept away.) Kids would love to celebrate Chinese New Year. They can collect 'leisee', red packets with 'luck money' inside. And even though they might be naughty they are not punished!
winnie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

It's so nice to for meto find this web and have this forum to make friend and express our opinion!!!
really great!
I am interested to know who designed this web site?
what's your nationality?
when did this web establish ?
wing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: hi Reply with quote

Hi Winnie,
The founder is Dave Sperling who replied to my post here. For another two questions, you can email him at [email protected]. I think he would be glad to answer you.
wing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Delicious foods Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, PugachevV. I guess there will be Traditional Chinese lion dances, or lighting firecrackers in Vancouver or somewhere in Canada for those Asians living there. By the way, have you ever tasted some festive foods? It is worth trying some of them, like new year cakes and dumplings (the type stuffed with sweet fillings, no meat). The Chinese consider the seventh day of the New Year as the birthday of all human beings. My mother always cheerfully prepares these two foods for the day.
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Lost In The Supermarket Reply with quote

A new and nice environment here. Completely different than the other forums and I must admit that I'm a little bit lost with this new presentation. So why not archiving all the old messages and to keep only this one?
Roseray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same feeling as you guys did - a bit lost. The old one seems a bit challenging as you can directly reply the message you want to, more informal that you can chat freely without any responsibility with words and attitude. Why I say so.
For the old one, you don't have to register before you can chat in the forum and there wasn't any obligations for you to follow and Dave didn't clarify that your messages will be deleted if they are inappropriated in the old system.
This new one is more systematic, more formal and Dave's stance stays clear that no one will challenge him as an autocrat. It is a website of enhancing English language and the freedom of speech is limited to the extent that it won't abuse it.
Am I right, Dave?
wing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Limitation Reply with quote

Roseray wrote:
This new one is more systematic, more formal and Dave's stance stays clear that no one will challenge him as an autocrat. It is a website of enhancing English language and the freedom of speech is limited to the extent that it won't abuse it.
Am I right, Dave?

Right you are. See what Dave said: the old format is not 'powerful' enough to run my forums.

******You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned .....

The rule seems overwhelming. There is no doubt it aims to remind guys of drawing the line at certain words. I personally don't mind someone calls me an idiot, ignorant person or anything that is not foul language...... as long as I am wrong and they are right. They help the thin-skinned to 'grow up', by the way.

Rather than restricting well-defined opinions and sensible arguments, the new one will be a good one.
Diana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wing,
I agree. Also, a person has to register to post messages; therefore, it would be difficult to have another Diana. I also like the emicons. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: