Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnieGibson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: English questions Reply with quote

Dear teachers,
I am Johnnie Gibson and I am an English major at Chinese Culture University in Taipei City, Taiwan. Recently my instuctors gave my classmates and I some essays and poems to read and study. My instructors will test us on the details of these essays, poems and the like. I have got to say that my English is pretty bad. I have great difficulty in understanding some words, idioms, sentences and so on even if I do my best to look up every new words and the stuff in my dictionaries. This time I want to ask you some questions about one of the scientific essays of Isaac Asimov. The essay is called The Eureka Phenomenon. I am afraid I will guess the wrong meaning, so I need you to give me a hand.

The first paragraph
In the old days, when I was writing a great deal of fiction, there would come, once in a while, moments when I was stymied. Suddenly, I would find I had written myself into a hole and could see no way out. To take care of that, I developed a technique which invariably worked.

1. I guess that stymied is an adjective. Am I right?
2. I guess that I would find I had written myself into a hole and could see no way out means that the author of this essay couldn't keep on writing his fiction or something. Am I right?

The second paragraph
It was simply this--I went to the movies. Not just any movie. I had to pick a movie which was loaded with action but which made no demands on the intellect. As I watched, I did my best to avoid any conscious thinking concerning my problem, and when I came out of the movie I knew exactly what I would have to do to put the story back on the track.

1. I don't know the meaning of was loaded with...for sure. Is...which was loaded with...in the passive or loaded is merely an adjective? What about the preposition with? I mean what does with mean?
2.What is the difference between pick and chose?
3. What is the difference between thinking and thought?
4. I guess that the original form of ... any conscious thinking concerning my problem is that any conscious thinking which concerned my problem. Am I right?
5. What does I knew exactly what I would have to do to put the story back on the track mean? How to use the phrase on the track under the circumstance?
6.I guess that As I watched... means When I watched...Am I right?

I may write some Taiwanese English sentences that are a little strange to the native-born American people, but I hope you can understand my difficulty and help me solve my problem in English. Thanks!
Johnnie Gibson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Help Center All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: