Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jane Austen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philanthropist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Jane Austen Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Today is Jane Austen's 230th birthday!!!

Do you know her/her works? What do you think about her novels?
I've read almost all of them, my favourite is Pride and Prejudice.

Hope to meet some fans here Very Happy
hollygolightly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: I also love Jane Austin! Reply with quote

She's the best! I've been reading Jane Austin's works online for free at www.thefreebookshop.com. There you can get tons of classics all for free. Check it out!
Outsider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Austen fan too Reply with quote

The two out of six novels of hers that I haven't read are NA and MP. NA is a high priority on my to-read list, because I hear Henry Tilney is a funny guy. I just started a book by Mansell that interpretates Jane Austen's novels, in which he raised an interesting point: Jane Austen's heroines' psycological transformation was her first and formost concern, thus every events and every characters were primarily used to further this process, as a result JA did not hesitate to force the plots, and consequently some of her plots were made unnatural, such as the Pemberley meeting.
The Pemberley meeting really is pivotal to the whole story. I think if Lizzy and Darcy had not been so fortunate to unexpectedly meet each other after the first proposal, which in my opinion was more likely than not, everything after that point would be a great deal different. So maybe Mansell got a point there.
I'm glad to have this opportunity to practice my English and to discuss my favorate author. I hope someone will correct my writing, especially my use of tense. Thanks in advance.
fxt1985

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: i love jane austen Reply with quote

Jane Austen is my favorite author. i love her pride and prejudice. Elizabeth's attitude to love and marriage is just what i think.Lizzy actually erect a model for the girls to pursue our love.
anyway, i love her and her works.
unforgiveNus_16

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read I know Pride and Prejudice,Sense and Sensibility She is brilliant and I know some about her life she was an English lady and seventh of her parent's children.There were 3 attachments in her life.All novels of her take place in the village and end with marriage:)
ClarissaMach

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read "Pride and Prejudice" and "Persuasion", and I have "Sense and sensibility" on my list.

I love Austen's style; it's a pleasure reading the things she's written.
welkins2139

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Pride and prejudice "

I woud not forget the mother wanted all her daughters to marry. She said that was her job.
UKbug

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love pride 'n' prejudice as well!!!! i love the film soooooooooooooo much!!!!
Irial

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I'm currently reading 'Persuasion' and i'm finding it quite interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RebeccaGMW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not read Persuasion, yet. I've read Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. Many of her novels have been made into films.

She also wrote a novel, Emma. I read that the idea for the movie "Clueless" was very loosely adapted from the novel Emma. It is funny to know the novel Emma and watch the movie Clueless. I suppose it is VERY loosely based on the book.
http://www.guidemywords.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Outsider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: The Jane Austen Book Club Reply with quote

Hi Austen fans,
If you read and loved Jane Austen's works, you might also want to read 'The Jane Austen Book Club' by Karen Joy Fowler. It's about six friends get together to discuss Jane Austen's books. Each of this six characters mirrors someone from Austen's novels, and a lot of events in this book parellel the original story lines; it makes you smile when you recognize them.
Hollywood has made a movie of TJABC. I think it's due out this year. The average age of its main actors is about ten years younger than the caracters in the book. But I think at least Hugh Dancy is a good choice for the only male member of the club, who is said to have 'long heavy eyelashes.' Not that Hugh's eyelashes extradinarily long, it's just he has a soft, faminine semblance of him which I feel is very much in keeping with how Grigg's is depicted in the book.
welkins2139

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Jane Austen Reply with quote

philanthropist wrote:
Hi guys,

Do you know her/her works? What do you think about her novels?
I've read almost all of them, my favourite is Pride and Prejudice.

I love the old version of Pride and Prejudice movie, starring Oliver something, so much, so I like to read the book.

Right now I've finshed one-fourth of the book. There are a lot of big vocabularies which I have to stop and to contemplate when I dont get it the first time and too many complex or compund sentence structures, which slow me down a lot because it is kind of difficult to understand them; however, the substance and theme of the book is well worth to compensate my time to invest in the book. I'm very much enjoying the things the book says.
Eleniel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read almost every novels by Jane Austen and my favorite is Pride and Prejudice. However, I find other novels of her quite boring. Her books are all very similar and her heroines are judgemental. If it weren't for P&P, I would have considered her popularity downright ridiculous.
sugar2008

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: my opinion Reply with quote

I like Pride and Prejudice very much because it displays the real inner world of the characters.
Stephanie S

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Jane Austen! I've read all her books, and my favorites are Mansfield Park, Persuasion, and Northanger Abbey. Of course I also love Pride and Prejudice, and I think it is the greatest of her works, but I identify more with the others. Wink Did you know she also wrote two unfinished novels, Sanditon and The Watsons, and that she wrote a diary novel called Lady Susan? Stephanie Elanguest
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: