Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Euthanasia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roseray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Euthanasia Reply with quote

What do you think about euthanasia, mercy killing? Many people with religious background regard euthanasia as a way to kill others and they claim that life is precious and it belongs to God. We have no rights to take away people's life or your own life.
In my opinion, I agree that euthanasia should be legalized. Life is precious provided that it can function. If a person is claimed as a vegetable, he has to lie on bed for years until his death in hospital. Or if you got an incurable disease such as liver cancer, your health is deteriorate to a stage that you are afflicted with tremendous pain and you are certain that you are going to die soon. In order to terminate the unbearable pain and die with dignity, you request for euthanasia.
Aquanimus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Euthanasia Reply with quote

Roseray wrote:

In my opinion, I agree that euthanasia should be legalized. Life is precious provided that it can function. If a person is claimed as a vegetable, he has to lie on bed for years until his death in hospital.

But there are still some patients who wake up after a period of time, though extremely rare. Therefore. It is the people rounding and expecting them, not the patients themselves that persevere. Perhaps the patients are unwilling to be the burden of the family and might wish to pass away. However, they are no longer the controller of their own life at that time.

Quote:

Or if you got an incurable disease such as liver cancer, your health is deteriorate to a stage that you are afflicted with tremendous pain and you are certain that you are going to die soon. In order to terminate the unbearable pain and die with dignity, you request for euthanasia.

I agree to your opinion in this moment, assuming myself the patient.
But if someday my dear father or lover, lying on the clinical bed, I think Iwould be in a miserable dilemma, although knowing he or she is suffering. It is very ambivalent in that your position might totally change your opinion and option.
nartlee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I am a 20 year old student from Singapore who is has chosen the topic of euthanasia and assisted suicide for a school module.

I personally am fascinated by this issue, and feel that the line between murder and 'assisted suicide' is thin and difficult to draw.

I find it impossible for any human being to decide if another should live or die. Who are we to judge and play God, especially when it concerns another life?

Perhaps the closest I can come to a 'rule', is if the person who is requesting for euthanasia, his/her state of life degrades with time and there is little possibility of improvement.
For example, a fatal terminal illness versus a non fatal paralysis.
Basically, the reason for the euthanasia might affect my decision.

But for now, I would have to say that I do not agree that euthanasia should be legalized, as I personally do not feel comfortable with the idea of a human being deciding the fate of another human being, whether or not it is with done with good intentions.

What do you guys think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Opinions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: