Site Search:

Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to learn English language
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helina.Liu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: how to learn English language Reply with quote

hello,everyone,Smile
I am a Chinese girl. I think English as a language is very important for every people in the future. Now I am working in an Overseas-funded enterprise. Some Foreigners come in our company at times. In our company some people can speak English fluently and have a bright future. So I want to learn English well, especially oral English. But I don�t know how to learn it. Can you tell me how to do it?
Philo Kevetch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Helina.Liu -
You job sounds exciting. What is an "Overseas-funded enterprise"?
Yes, these days speaking English fluently can be an asset in the global market place. Many people would say the same about being able to speak Chinese!
If I asked you how to learn to speak Chinese fluently, what advice would you give me? .......... practice, practice and more practice, maybe? Are you able to practice with the people in your office?
If you want more answers to your question, type "how to learn English" in the search function on the forum index page and you will be able to read almost four thousand replies. If nothing else, it will give you a lot of reading practice :)
Let me know what you find. Philo
leozhengbo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philo Kevetch is a good teacher in english learning , so i have nothing more to say .
Helina.Liu , you has found a good friend of learning.
[Helina.Liu ,is a lovely girl .] Embarassed
Helina.Liu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: learning english Reply with quote

Hello, Philo,
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry for my poor English. In my Post subject, "Overseas-funded enterprise" means �Foreign enterprise�. In the company where I works there are many people have the same trouble with me. I am not able to practice with the people in my office. And some people do it as me. Day after day, I have a little advance in English language. If I say Chinese is easy to learn only that I am a native person. You do it very well in English. Are you a native person of English? Also I have the question that Is vocabulary important for a person to learn English?
I do it as you advice. And I find many websites that relate with learning English. Thanks for you help. I am very glad to know you here.
mingping

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Waiting Reply with quote

I am listening and waiting for more information and experience.
TrueWarrior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
You may think I don't have mcuh knowledge about English learning Very Happy ....when I tell you I'm a pupil! But you have to speak and speak as much as you can :Don't be too shy to avoid faults!This is the best advice I can give.
At first try to get used to the grammar and a few basic words and then later learn more words by using vocabulary cards---my favourite method : On the frontside the Chinese word and on the backside the English one and maybe a sentence as a example!

I hope I could help you!
Philo Kevetch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Typo....that should be "Your job..... not You job. ;)
Sorry, I don't have much time this morning to answer you. I'll post a response on Sat. or Sun. Philo
fiona ting

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: how to learn english Reply with quote

hi, helina Liu
I am also the one who have the problem in speaking. Actually, i try to converse in English as much as i can with my Indian coursemates. I feel quite embarass when communicate with them. You know, most of the Indians are very good in speaking because English is their mother tongue. Before i entered the University, i totally can't speak well in English. I always speak "rojak" (means mix with Malay or mandarin) English with friends. Somemore when i spoke, i also stammered...
However, i feel that my speaking skill already improve since I entered university. Now I feel more confidence to communicate in English. Although i cant speak as fluent as the native speaker, i do not tend to speak "rojak' english with my friends. Therefore, in my point of view, if you really want to have a good oral skill, you should always converse in English with your friends around you. It really helps you much. I will still keep using this method to improve my oral skill. Hope both of us can have better oral skill. Yup, vocab is also important in speaking because it help us to convey the message in our conversation.
Philo Kevetch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helina.Liu -
No need to be sorry about your English...it's 1000% better than my Chinese!! :)

Yes, vocabulary is important. BUT, most native English speakers don't know EVERY word in the dictionary!!

So, when you see new words, decide which ones will be most useful to you. When you look up the word in your dictionary don't just underline or "hi-lite" (high light) the word in your dictionary. Write 3 (or more) original sentences in your notebook and review them regularly.

Try doing a search on the internet (google?) for "audio books online".
There are some free sites where you can listen while you read to help with pronunciation. You will also be able to learn many new words in context.

Let me know if it helps you. Philo :)

leozhengbo - Sounds like you are looking for a girlfriend??? :) So, sure you must have more to say!! Where do you live? Philo

mingping - If you have any questions...I'll be glad to try to answer them.
Just waiting may not be as much fun as joining in!! Philo

TrueWarrior - I think students know quite a bit about learning English!! After all, you guys are the ones learning and know what works for you. I like your advice about not being too shy to make mistakes. Building your vocabulary slowly using flash cards is a good idea, too. Thanks. Philo

fiona ting - That's the best advice anyone could give....get over the embarassment and just keep talking...you can't get worse..only better!! Nice to hear your words. :) Philo
TrueWarrior

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Philo!
I also have another advice...watch American TV shows like Gilmore girls or something like that (I can promise: Even if you're not interested in it---->it really helps you a lot to get used to typical phrases!)
How long have you been studying English?And where,in which areas of life, do you use this language?and finally: Where do you come from?

bye,timo
Selina11372002

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

English is a international language.
Therefore,learning English has become very important.
Understanding English can broaden our konwledge.
mingping

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: My question Reply with quote

Hi, Philo, Thank you for your sincere suggestion to me at first.
I am a English learner. At this moment, I have problem about vocabulary. For example. when I am speaking English, I can find the right word because I forget how to pronounce it. How can I overcome such problem, could you tell me please?
Thank you in advance.
uk_umma14

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Helina Smile I would like to suggest you some tips on how to brush up your oral skill. Besides speaking English on a daily basis, try to read more English based sources/materials, listening to English songs and watching English movies and sitcoms without reading the provided subtitles. Apart from that, also make it a point to read words in dictionary at least a page a day and attempt to apply the relevant words in your daily conversation. Try it. You'll enjoy it Smile
amandaunec

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: learning english Reply with quote

hi, heather:
Three years later, we'll go to study in australia. So we must study hard and through the IELTS exams. Studying abroad is my dream. I'll try my best to realize my dream.
There are many advantages of studing abroad.
Overseas study can broaden one's scope of knowledge. One gets a chance to experience a tollay different culture.The different social system and customs in the westen countries help one to become more oper_minded. Many good universities abroad are equipped with advanced facilities and staffed with exceclent professors. It can erable one learn advanced science and technology, and to keep up with the latest academic achierements. Studying abroad is a good way to cultivate independence. We can have a good command of a foreign language. One can learn how to take care of oneself, how to survive in a new environment and how to get along with people form different cultural backgrounds. With a diploma or degree of a good university overseas, one can have more choices for our career.
chua

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

English language is considered very important nowadays. This is because English has been regarded as a medium of communications. It is also regarded as a second language. Nowadays, English is not only used in the fields of education, medicines, trade and commerce but English also plays an important role in promoting political ties to ensure stability. Those who do not master on the language will be left out.
There are a few ways which can help in order to improve on your English Language.
One of the ways is by practicing the use of the language to communicate with your friends. This is one way to practice or to enhance your communication skills. By speaking daily it will help to build confidence in ourselves. Besides, have fun with English as many people think that improving language is by studying which is so bored. You can improve your English language by watching English films, watching television and to listen to English music. This is the best way to learn though, get the lyrics of your favorites songs which will increase your interest to learn particular language in the songs. Many problem face by people when they encountering English, but the biggest problem found is that most people are afraid of the language. Do not let a little fear stop you from trying, try to speak the language without fear although there is a grammatical mistakes. As we learn from mistakes. Another ways learn English just the way you have learned. Use all of your resources such as internet available to help you to learn faster. There are many different ways you can improve your English, so do not limit yourself to only one or two. Surround yourself with English such as; take notes in English, put English books around your room, watch English programs on speak English with your friends whenever you can and the more likely it is that you will begin “thinking in English”. Read English newspaper daily and jot down the difficult words in a small note book and bring along the small notes book along with you. You can refer to it when you are free or meanwhile waiting for bus. Slowly you will find that your knowledge of vocabulary will improve smoothly. Study as often as possible; studying grammar and vocabulary and doing exercise can really improve your knowledge of any language. By completing exercises and taking tests, they give you a benchmark to compare your future results with. If you never test yourself, you will never know how much you are progressing. There are no others way in improving your English. So the only way to improve English is practice as practice make perfect. Do not hesitate to try this method out which I think will assist you in the process of learning English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Dave's ESL Cafe's Student Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Learning English All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: